What if the PTB had been paying attention?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

Well as a loyal officer he'd follow any orders she gave, so I'm sure he'd get inside when she demanded.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway: We all have to make sacrifices Tuvok. I'm going without my postprandial coffee in the evening and you're going in the cage.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was surprised despite numerous revisits to Caretaker events and before, as well as the occasional alternate reality - none of the pilot crew came back in cameos.

Of course Carey came back, but until his last episode they seemed to forget there was no reason he only appeared in flashbacks!

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Without looking it up or thinking, just from your gut, how many episodes do you think Carey was in?

5. Rarewolf

Not many after season 1. But the the point is there was no storyline reason we didn't see him more often - he wasn't dead until Friendship One, yet he only appeaed in flashbacks/time travel episodes, from what I remember.

I'm gonna look now!

6. Rarewolf

And I have

"Star Trek: Voyager" (7 episodes)

... aka "Voyager" - USA (short title)
    1. Caretaker (16 January 1995)
    2. Parallax (23 January 1995)
    3. Prime Factors (20 March 1995)
    4. State of Flux (10 April 1995)
    5. Relativity (12 May 1999)
    6. Fury (3 May 2000)
    7. Friendship One (25 April 2001)
    So he's in 4 of the first 15.
    Then appears in pre-Caretaker scenes of Relativity.
    Season 1-2 scenes in Fury.

Then finally shows up and dies before the end.

So he might as well have died in season 1 really.

Its something I wouldn't normally pick up on - save for the fact he was in Relativity and Fury - its as if they thought that they could only get him back in the past!

7. Guy Gardener

This is what qualifies as an Elder Statesman for Voyager.

Blind loyalty Bry, is what drives us into Equinox territory.

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They mixed Carey up with Hogan (who died in Basics) and then killed him off for no real reason.

They should've made a whole episode revolving around the idea that everyone outside of Engineering and the Doctor thought that Carey was dead and Hogan was alive, while the Engineers have to convince everyone else of the truth.

9. Guy Gardener

Or how about an episode where all the lower decks thought that Carey was a Superhero who was involved with the big dogs at every level saving the day... Cue the Forest Gumping technology to show that he was in every episode and essential and every day would have been lost with out him, even if Janeway doesn't give a damn.

Then they have to uncover the conspiracy about why Janeway wrote him out of all of her logs.

10. teacake

I never liked Carey. He's very unattractive.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

DON'T EVER REMIND ME OF THAT :klingon:

;)

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They definitely were paying attention to the ratings.

That's why they brought in the Borg Barbie.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because nothing promotes the message of individuality, humanity and the hope for a better future than giving a person who's spent her entire life being raped and held in slavery a skin tight catsuit to parade around in.

14. Guy Gardener

The Borg(ette) was brought in as the season final to platform the direction for the following year.

That was not a reaction to week to week trends. That was an over reaction to an unflattering year that didn't live up to expectation.

The difference between making choices on the fly and tweaking the show each week opposed to radically reinventing the show in the 5 month hiatus between Scorpion I and scorpion II is like comparing the US Boy Scouts to the US Marine Corps...

Wang knew he was going to be fired. They might not have told him, but he knew. Everyone knew. He was sitting there waiting for his pink slip, wondering what was talking so long, JUST DO IT! DO IT! DO IT ALREADY! WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING YOU SO LONG!? ...But they instead ejected poor wee sweet little Jennifer into the heap of broken souls that is the sewage outlet come the Burbank City Limits.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And Garrett could have gone back to playing Asian gang members, or wallowed in the alleys off the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

16. Guy Gardener

Actually, if he had been let go as People declared him the 32nd most sexy person on the planet, it's likely if he had a competent agent that Wang could have parleyed that into a movie deal or the lead in his own show, possibly a new spinoff CSI or Law and Order becuase he had leverage, leverage that no longer existed wen Voyager finished.

"You gotta know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away and kow when to run."

If Garret played his cards right, he could have had a career as as stunning as Shelly Longs'.

I joke.

Shelly folded too early and Garret held'em too long.

What a pair of dunces.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Since they needlessly axed her, I've missed Kes. She was a sweet and likable character I found, with a decent role in the show, good links with other characters (glossing over the grooming Neelix gave her), her mental abilities gave her an added twist.

I think the fact that she was so abruptly removed and replace is one of the reasons I never took to Seven (plus she was a cold and unlikeable bitch most of the time). I love strong female characters, but when so much of who she is is defined by strutting around in cliched catsuits I lose interest.

18. teacake

I wonder if People got some note from a trekkie in the People pantheon telling them to make sure they put a Trek person in their list and so they did a quick scan looking for who they could use. Who else would they have picked?

Paris: Not a good looking man at all, just kind of joe average. Pleasant. Not a rogue despite the character description.

The EMH: Bald.

Janeway: ANCIENT PRACTICALLY MENOPAUSAL

B'Elanna: Uhh...well she doesn't have Klingon teeth but this still isn't flying in People Land.

Neelix: N/A

Chakotay: I concede this might have been an option. But kind of fat.

Tuvok: If you want to be beautiful AND unsmiling you need to be evil. Pass.

Kes: A child.

Harry Kim was the only option. Mr Trekkie People Boss is to blame.

19. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

As much as I love Chakotay, I have to agree with teacake here. Seven of Nine wasn't the only one wearing a corset on Voyager's set.

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Paris is good looking; he's my favorite and the stuff of dreams.