Ro Laren

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by los2188, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ask me in 1993 I would have instantly said "Oh, definitely Ro". Ask me now I can't imagine the show with Ro instead of Kira. The entire show would have taken on a different character had one of the main characters not grown up as a terrorist. There are three characters who you couldn't have taken out of the show without completely changing its feel, and Kira is one of them.

It would have been great to see Ro in a recurring role though. She joined the Maquis from an emotional outburst, she could have had an interesting storyline having regrets about her decision, but still realizing she could never really accept the restrictions of being part of starfleet.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

All my Ro regret came back after watching her in Razor. She would have been fabulous.

3. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I could just imagine Sisko doing a "I'm getting my men" with Michelle's "You are making such a mistake"

4. teacake

"What is the imperative?"

5. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Michelle rocked very hard as Admiral Cain on nuBSG. But as much as I loved her as Ro, I'm glad Forbes didn't do DS9, because I loved Major Kira (Nana Visitor) even more. It was Kira's presence who first made me stick with DS9.

Sean

6. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

I would have enjoyed having Ro show up on DS9. But everyone is right, DS9 would have been very different if she was the XO instead of Kira

7. teacake

See I was never enamored with Kira whereas Ro Laren was my favorite TNG character.

8. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Really? I enjoyed Kira. I found her devotion to Sisko very believable. He is a religious figure. I am not sure how the relationship between Sisko and Ro would have worked. Two moody officers in command... :D

9. teacake

I found her believable, she was just rather shrill. She never grabbed me the first run through but I've enjoyed her more in subsequent rewatches. Her relationship with Sisko was excellent.. and you're right, Ro and Sisko might have had some problems BUT you would also have an atheist Bajoran whose commanding officer is viewed as a deity by her planet's religion. So there might have been some big time conflict there, or at the very least a whole lot of Ro sarcasm.

10. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

That I do believe

11. teacake

I would have enjoyed her debunking/ribbing of Sisko once she got comfortable with him.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i never liked ro that much in the tng guest officer role, and kira is awesome. if they had her turn up in place of eddington and do something else maquis related t couldve been cool.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, if Ro had Guest starred on DS9 I would definitely welcome the appearance, but, I would never want to retroactively replace Kira with her

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Ro only established as an atheist in the novels? Given the spiritual theme of DS9 if Ro was casted I bet that never would've happened.

15. USS Kongo

Did she become an atheist in the novels? I ask because I recall the episode of TNG when Riker gave Ro grief for wearing her Bajoran earring while on duty. I thought the earring was supposed to signify the Bajoran's religious beliefs.

Sean

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you notice Ro wears her earring on the opposite ear of every other Bajorian. Ro explains this in the novels is to "keep those annoying Vedeks from grabbing my ear." She wears it to honor her Bajoran heritage, but doesn't believe in the Prophets after the occupation.

17. USS Kongo

Ah, ok. I get it now.

Never understood Riker's rationale for going after Ro for wearing her earring when he never said a word to Worf for wearing his Klingon sash.

Sean

18. teacake

It's because he is a dick.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I thought Riker was doing it on purpose just because Ro had been so insubordinate and gotten her away team killed. Worf was an upstanding officer and a friend, so nobody cared about the sash. Ro was mean to everyone and broke regs and got people killed. So a little extra was needed.

20. USS Kongo

It's that great surly attitude that Ro had--it's great for us to watch, but not for Riker to deal with.

Yep, that explains it handily. :rommie: :techman:

Sean