Vanguard

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by bismarck_1892, Apr 25, 2008.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't mind the wait between books because I think I've gotten used to there being up to a year or more between releases these days among my favorite Trek series. If nothing else, the VOY relaunch has taught me that getting just one book a year of a particular series is something to be thankful for.

I'm actually just now getting to Reap The Whirlwind even though I bought the book more than six months ago...

2. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The RC books are on a separate contract, so they are an exception to the general rule. Barring events like anniversaries and Destiny, the wait between books of the same series does tend to be shorter in SW than ST nowadays.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but there's also only 3 SW series going on, while there are 9 for Star Trek .
    DS9
    TNG
    ENT
    VGR
    SCE
    NF
    TTN
    VAN
    KE

Vs.
    LotF
    RC
    LotJ

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're quite right. I'm not advocating one system over the other. They each please different people at different times for different reasons. I was just trying to answer Ian's question in my earlier post.

Back on the topic of Vanguard, I'm very excited to read the book. I hope the title and the text uphold the high standards of the series to date.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but are they as well-written? I for one would rather that the Trek authors take their time and do good work than that they just turn them out. Chekhov didn't write The Cherry Orchard in a month, and Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd rather wait the ten years between Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows than get it really soon but not be as good.

Besides, I've got other books I have to read, too, y'know!

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I completely agree with you there Sci.:bolian:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Umm, aren't you forgetting a rather important one...?

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'd say that TOS and TOS movie-era count as two ongoing series, even though they've often been tumbled together ever since "The Entropy Effect" first came out.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm a complete and total idiot, I can't believe I missed TOS! STUPID JD, STUPID JD.:scream:

10. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep hoping for more Gorkon or Klingon Empire books, (whatever you want to call them) Only seconded by Vanguard books, and then Titan.

Used to be I was all about DS9, but I can't say that anymore, mostly since I've forgotten what's going on in the series and need to reread it. I still like a New Frontier novel every now and then, but even so that's more for Calhoun than anyone else.

11. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

But hey, having forgotten what's going on in a favorite series is a blessing in disguise. Sure, it can feel redundant at times rereading things, but for those elements you've forgotten, it's almost like be able to experience it for the first time again. What a pleasure!

12. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are absolutely correct. I've only done one re-read of the complete series so far, and that was right before Worlds of DS9 came out. The series just isn't a "MUST READ before any other book" type series like it used to be for me.

I may change my mind about that after reading Fearful Symmetry, but then again I may not. For like I said, the series has lost some momentum in my mind and while I think it's due to the fact that it's been a while since the last book and in no way reflective upon the content of the storyline itself, it has still caused me to reorder my purchasing perspective.

I still don't feel like I'm really putting my thoughts out there clearly, but please don't think I'm bashing the DS9 Relaunch, for it's what got me into Trek Literature in the first place. I guess I've just missed reading it to the point that I've gotten used to it not being around, so that even if it does come back, I might not rush right out to "jump back in" as quickly as I might have previously if the books were coming out a little closer together.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm the complete opposite here, the longer it takes for the books to come out the more anxious I become, and the more I want to read it.

14. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting tidbit I found this morning.

Was re-reading the graphic novel "Debt of Honor" by Chris Claremont and noticed the mention of "Watchtower" class outposts being built out toward the Romulan neuteral zone. Mind you this was published back in 1992 well before we got the Watchtower class Vanguard station in the novels. Of course, in the graphic novel a watchtower class station is shown to be built on an asteroid. Still found this interesting.

15. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ It's just a coincidence, but I find it cool regardless. :)