If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Green Lantern, Jul 4, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why not just bring a person forward in time from the 21st century. Seems less convoluted.

2. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

The stakes aren't as high then.

3. TonyC

TonyC Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Maybe its me, and I'm new so take this with a grain of salt. I'm not sure I understand why everyone seems to be 'forward in time, Enterprise XXX.' There are other starships in the 23rd C. that could be shown, other crews. I just think 3 series set in the NG era is too much, the 22nd C. had 4 seasons, and the 23rd C. had 3 seasons, 6 movies. There's still stories to tell back then. (IMO, grab some of the better novels that have been done and use them as basis for some episodes.) Or...

ST: CSI type series
    ST: MASH type series set either in the E-R war, or the Dominion War
    ST: JAG type (as those JAG officers did a lot more than try cases. Esp. Harm Rabb)

Just my opinion, I'd like to see your replies.

4. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

CSI: Someone shoots a guy with a phaser and he vaporizes, a missing persons report is filed, but his body is never found.

Death by transporter "accident" somebody reprograms the transporter to transport someone out into space instead of to a planet's surface, find the evidence of that.

MASH: It would be the first Comedy in star trek history, a bunch of wise cracking doctors repair the wounded with various trek devises while cracking jokes, and one male crewmen likes to wear dresses and makeup.

JAG is just the other end of CSI but in the courts, hard to think of anything duller than a 24th or 23rd century court, but maybe its just me.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Time period doesn't matter IMO; there's way too much splitting hairs over what century the next series should be in. Just so long as its recognizably Star Trek, I'm happy.

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A CSI or MASH Trek would just be stupid. Don't even need to give a reason, it's so odvious.

7. peteym5

peteym5 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I favor ideals that are real time past TNG/DS9/Voyager. 12 years since Voyager aired its final episode, 10 years past the movie Nemesis. It would be far enough from the other shows to have its own independent story arc. Going way too far ahead means you have to make the Technology starts getting super advanced to satisfy fan expectations. Have to say your ships can do Warp 200 or Phasers can destroy whole planets and Transporters can beam 200 lightyears away. Can cross the Milkyway within a commercial break. I would like to only keep it slightly more advance than the 24th century shows. I know about the Warp 10 limit, but who is to say some now Warp Scale gets invented (Like "All Good Things" had the Enterprise doing warp 13). Gene Roddenberry kept limits on how fast starships can go so the Galaxy seems to be a big place. Sill have to keep it to where it takes years to reach the Gamma and Delta Quadrants and parts of the galaxy remain unexplored. Then again, you can also make your ships just fast enough to reach nearby Drawf Galaxies in the Local Group.

Being real time Passage past TNG/DS9/Voyager leaves the door open of bring back someone from a prior series without an excuse of time travel or was frozen somehow. Many fans do want to see some connection and is a good way to draw interest to the show. A new series has to draw in new fans from this time to be successful, have to make it relevant to 2012. We know what happened in prior shows, new show has to tell us what is happening now with Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassia, Borg, and invent new races as well. You have keep that consistent threat there.

We are well aware that the JJ Abrams movie refined the timelime, but that is an alternate reality. Who is to say history did not reset before the TNG era.

I thought about an ideal to where a new threat is not coming from another race, but within the Federation itself. Planets declare Independence from, cause a civil war, Earth and Humans no longer the center of it. The Vulcans or Betazoids take it over. Do the enemy comes from within type arc.

8. Matt S

Matt S Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would want them to keep the show as grounded as they can with the way people act now. The last movie did a great job of showing people as the flawed, human, and highly interesting.

That was the greatest sin of TNG, Voyager, and to a lesser degree DS9 - the people were so darn 'perfect' that they really were boring. Enterprise tried to show people as a little more edgy, and flawed

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. I would not want phasers to destroy planets though. That'd go too far. Like someone said earlyer on on the thread, why not do a time travel series. "time, the final frontier".

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's called Doctor Who.

I don't understand this desire to try to lock Trek into a particular premise. It's strength has always been that the format is flexible enough to tell any kind of story a writer wants to tell.

11. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I prefer to send them back in time, one time only, rather than give them control of the time machine, as one can solve all sorts of problems by going back in time. I think a Galaxy class starship in the 21st century with a 21st century crew is a good premise to start with. The best time travel stories are stories where characters are basically marooned back in time rather than in control of a time machine.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, the whole "flawed anti-hero" nonsense is played out. Run into the ground until TV has become unwatchable in fact.

What we need is to get back to telling stories about heroes. Maybe not the "perfect people" that everybody bitches about (although, since TNG was the ONLY show that had this, I don't understand why everybody bitches about it. TNG must had had an enormus impact on everybody. And , it IS a perfectly valid storytelling tool), but heroes as seen in TOS and the original Battlestar Galactica.

That would be good.

13. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

^Fully agreed on that one.

14. peteym5

peteym5 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree with making the characters less than perfect like we see in DS9. TNG had characters being "Too perfect". I will not go totally go to the reimagined Battlestar Galactica because that is a whole different type of tv show that was not Star Trek. If the writers made Tuvok and Chakotay more of a dark and not always agreeing wtih Starfleet regulations would have made Voyager a stronger show.

What is now amusing not long after my post on 9/8, "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced and fitting into what many of us had been suggesting for years. Not sure what exactly is meant by it being professionally produced. If CBS/Paramount is sanctioning it or is involved somehow.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What do You mean "Star Trek: Renegades" has been announced? What is that? Is that a game?

16. deep_edward

deep_edward Ensign Red Shirt

My preference would be a continuation of the TNG/DS9 timeline. I really wouldn't be interested in anything that was a radical departure from that. I also wouldn't be interested in a complete jettisoning of established Star Trek alien species.

I'm fascinated with Andorians, so I'd like an Andorian member of the bridge crew. And maybe a Vulcan.

I'd like to see a captain that was some combination of Picard and Pike, personality-wise. I kind of liked Pike's brooding depressiveness.

There desperately needs to be a gay main character, but I loathe the idea of making him what I call a "tragic gay," i.e., someone who's just lost a spouse. Especially since there's never actually been a gay character on a Star Trek series, that would be a bad way to start, IMO.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

A fanmade web series: http://startrekrenegades.com/

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, that's why I'm ignorant, I don't generally venture into the Fan Made Forum. :alienblush: Thanks

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since when has stupidity ever stopped the TV biz? ;)

It's going strong on cable, which is where a Star Trek series would end up, if not on Netflix or Amazon.

20. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Yeah yeah yeah. Back in the 80s this was my dream scenario for a new Star Trek series. Something set "now" relative to the orginal series, ie 20 years later (now 40 or 50 years later), and dealing with the time when the Klingons went from being enemies to allies. Uneven allies, where you wouldn't know what to expect from any Klingon encounter: some Klingons would be for alliance (good guys) and some would be against (bad guys).

Then TNG came along and ruined everything. :)

That's still what I most want to see from a new Star Trek series.