episodes that are part of two different TV series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Probably because there not that many examples of this!!! But is also done as just a marketing stunt without any connection between two series. I know Warner Bros did that a few years back.

Your real topic is limited!

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not really the boxset thing, but David E. Kelley did this a couple times with Ally McBeal, The Practice, and Boston Public. Part 1 of an episode would happen in one show, and then Part 2 would happen in the other show. It was kind of annoying, actually, as it assumed you actually regularly watched all of his shows.

3. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Without wanting to join the debate about whether or not the thread is misleadingly titled, I've been thinking about this some more. It's quite common in the UK for episodes of another series to feature on a box set. For instance, The XYY Man, The Sandbaggers and Strangers all feature a (different) three part Crown Court serial, as it showcases an earlier performance by the respective stars of those series. Likewise, there's an episode of The Man in Room 17 on the Randall and Hopkirk -Deceased box set, as it features an early appearance by Mike Pratt. An episode of Man in a Suitcase on the Department S box set, which features Rosemary Nichols. A tv play with Peter Wyngarde called "The Crossfire" on the Jason King box set. The Persuaders! box set has an episode of The Saint that's been considered a dry run for the later series. And so on... In these cases, the connections are often fairly tenuous, so you wouldn't really call them part of the other series - they're just there for curiosity value...

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ah! That's right he did! I forgot about that. Wings was made by many of the same writers/producers as Frasier most notably Chirstopher "Not the Doc Brown One" Lloyd.

Frasier also exsists in the Dr. Pepper universe. ;)

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Boston Legal, too. Besides being an outright spin-off of The Practice, there was at least one crossover from Boston Public (the principal, whose name I forget, made an appearance on Boston Legal).

6. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

angel and buffy? think they crossed over or something

pretty sure i saw angel in a few buffy episodes after the angel series started

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the Chris Carter shows and the David E. Kelley shows are the biggest examples of this... although the Chris Carter shows probably exemplify this more because they were able to use X-files as a place to provide endings for two other shows.

Back when there were "comedy nights", there were also a few night long crossovers - four different families go to Disney World and somehow meet each other! - but plot wise they're pretty much unrelated.

I suppose the common thread is that shows in the same franchise or by the same creator usually have these integrated stories that span episodes of two different shows or have single episodes that are someone integral to both shows.

8. Dr. Drake Ramoray

Dr. Drake Ramoray Commodore Commodore

Magnum P.I. crossed over with both Murder, She Wrote and with Simon & Simon.

9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I wish to see again is how the story which began on Third Watch with the paramedic Carlos Nieto being exposed to some super flu was concluded on the short lived Medical Investigations. Neither is on disc and the former only shows on A&E. They also crossed over with ER.

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Nope, they're not part of any NCIS DVD releases so far. What irks me about this one is that they even recut the 2 JAG episodes to make a single NCIS episode ("The Beginning"?) which I remember watching on TV in the NCIS timeslot. Why they at least didn't include that is a mystery to me.

Fortunately, I was able to record the two JAG eps when they ran on USA a little while back, so I just burned 'em to DVD and stuck 'em in the NCIS S1 boxset. Good enough for now, I suppose.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There are three crossover episodes (and a cameo earlier, although I forget in which show). I'm not sure the DVD situation. For some reason, I had thought they only appeared on the Law and Order DVDs, but I could be wrong.

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ The Homicide/L&O crossover eps were included in the complete Homicide box set.

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

this sounds like a crossover thread.

ill give some UK examples

TheBill & MIT epsidoe 1, on the Bill one of the cast was killed, and in the first episode of MIT, the MIT cast investigated who killed him.

Holby City & Holby Blue, in an episode of Holby City a doctor was attacked and it looked like she killed her attacker, in the first episode of Holby Blue S2, the Holby Blue cast investigated the crime.

there is a Sarah Jane Adventures episode " The Last Sontaran" that follows on from the evens of the Doctor Who episode The Sontaran Stratagem/Poison Sky.

Same goes for Torchwood episode Cyberwoman, that follows up the events of Doomsday.

I used to have a list of UK crossovers & spin-offs but I lost it :(

The Voyager episode "False Profits" is a sequel to the TNG episode, The Price

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

"...side hurts...please stop...can't catch breath...LMAO!"

15. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crossing Jordan/Las Vegas had multiple crossovers.

16. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, they did some cross-overs:

Buffy - season 4, episode 3 - "The Harsh Light of Day" and
    Angel - season Season 1, episode 3 - "In The Dark".

Also:
    Buffy - season 5, episode 7 - "Fool For Love" and
    Angel - season 2, episode 7 - "Darla"

The story continued in both series.

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Negative, Mork was NOT a dream on Happy Days.

Richie thought he was dreaming, after he woke up from his nap he heard a radio report talking about a flying saucer really being a weather balloon. Right after this Robin Williams shows up knocking at the door asking for directions to a highway, Richie wigs out and Robin Williams leaves.

Outside on the porch, it's revealed that Robin Williams really WAS Mork, since he starts talking to Orson and telling him about the 1950s. Orson then tells Mork that he'll be visiting 1978 next.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Hmmm. Been ages since I've seen that episode. I must've forgotten/mis-remembered the last bit. I just remember Mork "freezing" everyone/not being able to overcome Fonzie's "cool" and then Richie (or was it Fonzie) being lead away by Mork.

19. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

And Mork revisited both Fonzie and Laverne DeFazio in a flashback scene in the first episode of Mork & Mindy, and went back to Happy Days again a year or so after his first appearance (I think the episode was called "Mork Returns" or something like that, but I don't remember for certain).

20. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It looks like my thread has been completely hijacked. :(
    Oh well, I have only myself to blame. I shouldn't have said anything about the poobala site or about my unorthodox 2-crossovers-required rule.

In defence of my opnion, ff a crossover happens only once, then it's only a gimmick or a joke, especially if it only happened in one scene. I'm thinking of Ray Barone appearing in The Nanny, Kramer appearing in Mad About You and one of the Ghostbusters appearing on Casper. The average viewer is likely to forget that such a crossover happened, and the two TV shows will go their separate ways, free to contradict each other or even refer to each other as fictional TV shows.

If there are two crossovers which happen more than a year apart, then the producers take seriously the idea that two shows exist in the same universe and the average viewer is more likely to notice.

To put it another way, the first crossover introduces the idea that two series might exist in the same universe and the second crossover confirms that idea.

As for my real topic being too limited, not all topics are designed to inspire heated debates. Some are just simple questions that require simply answers.

I started a crossover discussion a while ago here:
    http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=82054