Star trek 13 villain

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Disagree, I'd love to see a decent fight between the Enterprise and a comparable Klingon cruiser, where Kirks cunning and tactical abilities come into play, instead of them fighting a ridiculous black ship the size of the death star and they save the day in some implausible last minute way.

This next movie needs Kirk to be awesome...

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

No Borg, no Klingons, no Q. I want an original antagonist.

Personally I'd like to see Kirk go up against a female adversary. One who was intelligent, cunning, decisive and ruthless, without being in a catsuit, leather, or a tubetop.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

But what if she likes wearing tubetops?

And what I'm getting at is that, while I'm aware that T'Pol and 7 of 9 were a bit extreme, it is hard to win with this situation even if one is trying. If she's sexy at all, you're catering to sexism, but if she's not, you're saying that pretty women can't be intelligent.

I'd like to see a well-written female adversary, with whatever attributes fit into that writing - whether she's an ugly, stupid, deceitful psychopath who is a successful villain because she is rampantly destructive in a way that 23rd century sensibilities just aren't ready for, or if she's a rather plain-looking strategic genius who wears too much makeup badly and talks like a valley girl a lot because it amuses her and her crew of alien mercenaries doesn't know the difference anyway, or whatever - so long as there is a consistent character concept that makes sense in every way that it is expressed. The biggest problem with 7 and T'Pol wasn't that they were sexy or wearing catsuits - it was that some of the elements of the attire and makeup were inconsistent with the cold logic of the Vulcan philosophy or of the Borg "upbringing" that were central to the characters, otherwise.

(Not to mention that Vulcan attire as depicted on Enterprise was inconsistent with what little we previously knew of Vulcan couture, but I digress....)

4. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Since they remade TWOK last time, I say JJIII should have Edward James Olmos as Kruge, and yes, blowing up the Enterprise will be required...

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Borgified Klingons.

6. USS Triumphant

The Borgified genetically engineered Romulan-Klingon hybrid offspring of Captain Picard and Khan *and* Billy Joel.

7. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Klingonified Borg interest me more, I have to admit.

Do Jem'Hadar count as klingonified Borg?

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, I'd like to see the "villain" be something like a natural phenomenon (e.g the giant space amoeba), or even just the situation the characters are in.

9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

My first time through I read that as Billy Jack. That might be better for action.

10. USS Triumphant

Maybe, but Billy Joel does go to extremes, and he may be crazy, so I'm not sure.

(Thanks. Been waiting for a setup for the rest of this. :D )

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Admiral Marcus, via the Borg. Oh sure, his head was popped open like a piece of candy. But they could still bring him back. He could be part man, part machine - all Admiral. ;)

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

and he could be like "Crew of the Enterprise, Dead or Alive you're coming with me."

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You may be right.

14. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I agree.
    Lets see the guys be heroic where they're forced to risk something important - a partner, the ship, their reputation. Maybe we should go back to something like the 'Forbidden Planet' where the enemy's within.
    I don't see why two protagonists have to fight it out in fisticuffs. Yawn

15. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

If a fully functional Enterprise (in a movie context) engages a mere Klingon cruiser, or anything of equal ability, it will be a boring exchange of fire ..."evasive action, return fire, shields down to 80% blah blah blah" zzzzzzz, this display of tactical engagement goes on until something from the plot occurs to progress to the next scene.

It would be a waste of screen time as it add nothing to the story.

16. Smellmet

Not that I was going into specifics too much, but the enterprise and the reliant were comparable vessels in TWOK - didn't stop that being an epic, entertaining battle, thats more the kind of thing I have in mind for ST3. I just want to see the Enterprise in proper action as we're 2 films in and it's been lacking somewhat for me so far.

17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Regardless of which universe, the past three movies have been about the Enterprise fighting a ridiculously oversized super-ship captained by a nut-job.
    No single villain, no "only ship available to respond" perhaps a fleet battle between the Federation and the Klingon Empire would be nice, have the Enterprise be the hero by taking advantage of a situation and winning the day for all.

I would say have a movie about exploring something interesting during the five year voyage, but those at the helm of the franchise now just want butts to fill the theater seats and explosions do that...

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think they were. If Khan doesn't catch Kirk with his pants down, he doesn't survive the opening engagement.

In my opinion.

19. Smellmet

Agreed, but at least it wasn't the Enterprise vs Big Black ship, the battles in TWOK were great because of these circumstances, like you said Kirk getting caught with his pants down, made up for Khans lack of starship experience and evened the odds so to speak, which is what made it so interesting

20. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

It worked because it suited the character of a middle aged Kirk and the villain he was up against, also not mention that it was not done in Trek before on the silver screen before.

Any following space battle in future movies always seem to steal elements of those scenes in TWOK.

As recent movies go, at least when the Vengeance attacked the Enterprise, there was some story telling value to it as in Kirk and his ship faced being vulnerable, helpless and out of their depth, rather than some display to "show off" the hero ship which is what FC, Nemesis and Insurrection were guilty of.