Officially no series 8 in 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^But it's on tv and is free?

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Half a story anyways. It would seem like there's even less than there is. I still think the series finale is a part one. Except a bit more loosely linked than usual like in so many Moffat two-parters. Christmas should have the Daleks as the main attraction.

3. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

And? People go to the cinema for a mere part of a story all the freakin' time. ("Lord of the Rings", "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" being the most obvious examples off the top of my head).

But as Captaindemotion pointed out, this is going to air on television, more or less for free. That fact, along with the short running time (compared to most other theatrical releases) make it very unlikely that any rumored "theatrical" release of the anniversary special will ever actually occur, at least as a "stand-alone" feature. However it's possible that TPTB have plans for a much larger Dr Who theatrical event of some kind, which includes a big screen showing of the special, but only as a part of a much larger event.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The BBC aren't allowed in their charter to make any theatrical, commercial film required viewing to understand their programming.

It doesn't matter though as this will air on TV.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm expecting them in the Anniversary Special, frankly. I can imagine Moffat talking excitedly thus: "Daleks have always been scary and sent kids behind the sofa, but now in 3-D they're terrifying in a whole new dimension!" I can't see Moffat passing up the opportunity to do 3-D Daleks, because if he doesn't then it's likely that at some point in the future another producer will.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

To be honest I kinda expected Daleks in the anniversary special even before we knew it was gonna be in 3D...

7. Allyn Gibson

As did I. After all, 2013 is also the fiftieth anniversary of the Daleks. :)

But I think the 3-D-ness gives a whole new impetus to the Daleks in the anniversary special, just so there can be multiple shots of Dalek plungers and egg beaters sticking out of the "screen" at the audience.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

That's december 21st... they need to do a Dalek Xmas special...

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The blurb for the Series 7.2 box set kind of gives the game away that they're back before then.* And given that the only episode that's an almost total blank is the finale, I guess that's where they'll be.

(It also doesn't include the Xmas Special but does mention REG as a guest star.)

*http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-series-7-part-2-dvd/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. Allyn Gibson

Are you referring to "The Snowmen"? I thought that was supposed to be in the Series 7 Part 2 DVD set. Or is that now being released separately?

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I hope it's sold separately. I'll be pissed if they change the release format now that I have 7.1 on blu-ray.

This story seems to indicate DVD & blu-ray releases "some time in 2013".

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A good guess every Doctor Who finale (proper finales, not mid-season finales like A Good Man Goes to War or The Angels Take Manhattan) has featured either Daleks or the Master.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say that either of Moffat's "featured" the Daleks. Sure, they were in them, but the episodes weren't about the Daleks like RTDs were (or like "Victory of the Daleks" and "Asylum of the Daleks").

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daleks were still featured in them, even if they weren't about the Daleks.

15. Allyn Gibson

This may or may not have an effect on the production -- Caroline Skinner is out.

Faith Penhale, Head of Drama for BBC Wales, will be taking over Skinner's duties immediately.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uuoouh!

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

If/when the next series is 8 episodes, couldn't they make them 60 minutes at least?

18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They'd have to include 15 minutes of material that could stand being cut out in those countries that show it with ads.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or make them all two-parters, then chop them up & sell it as three-parters abroad.

(Not that I think that's a great solution creatively, but it would net BBC Worldwide more money.)

20. Allyn Gibson

Per Tom Spilsbury, filming on the Anniversary special has been pushed back from March 18th to an indeterminate date in April.