Episode of the Week : Errand of Mercy

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, Oct 19, 2014.

?

Rate "Errand of Mercy"

Poll closed Oct 26, 2014.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. 6

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. 7

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 8

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. 9

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. 10

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I'm ambivalent towards this episode. It's not my favorite ST episode, nor is it my most disliked ST episode. Gene Coon did a good job on the script that set the tone for future interaction between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. I really wish that the Klingon Warship had been ready to insert into this episode.

3. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

I feel pretty much the same way - I voted a 6. Aside from the importance of the Organian Peace Treaty, the foreshadowing of the Klingon-Federation becoming allies, John Colicos and John Abbott delivered solid performances.

4. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Agreed. I gave it a 6 also. John Colicos set an example of just how badass a Klingon should be.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Easy 8 from me.

Great story and the Kirk making the realization of exactly why he was pissed the Organians were interfering was classic.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

One of my favourites.

It has lots of great things.
    Kirk and Spock in danger.
    Klingons as they were meant to be (Not physically - but psychologically).
    The Klingon mind sifter.
    The threat of interstellar war.
    Kirk/Starfleet being seen as no different from Kor/the Klingon Empire.

7. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never considered this one a great episode but with most there are some great things about it. Still, it just ranks at a 6 for me

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one gets an 8 from me. Totally solid with Colicos for the win. Best Klingon Ever (Kang a VERY close second). The Kirk/Spock team is at its best, but I miss Bones and Scotty. A shame they couldn't be seen on board the Enterprise dealing with what was going on there. The teaser is thrilling as hell. All stock footage and edited music, but beautifully done. Hell of a way to show space combat on a budget. Fine, we didn't get the Klingon ship, but isn't it more realistic this way? They wouldn't have to be in visual range with weapons of that speed and power.

I love the Klingons as seen here. Beautifully formed race, very well done. Kor is a solider doing his job, not a sneering evil alien. He's likable as hell. Kirk is totally no nonsense. All in all, a great episode in a stellar season.

9. TOSalltheway

TOSalltheway Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A great episode. Crucial for the Star Trek Lore. Outstanding performance by Colicos, great writing, great performances. Yes a few plot holes. Why is the ammo dump a bunch of cardboard boxes with no guards ? Why does no one notice the self opening doors ? Why do they need to be told their phasers are in "that cabinet" which happens to be the only other piece of furniture in the room other than table and chairs.

These are small nit picks for a great episode.

Love the casting of Kor and the Organians. Once again it shows how great Trek looks outdoors in natural light. Imagine how bad it would have been if outdoors in the village was an indoor set.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...What would Klingons do with "ammo" in the first place? Why doesn't the mind-sifter work? Why does Starfleet play war at stun setting? What is the reason for the strategic worth of this primitive place anyway? Etc.

But much of the weirdness is in fact welcome. Why not have wars fought at stun? Why not use a frighteningly named device on torture victims even if it doesn't actually do squat? It's good to think things through every now and then - a lesson our heroes should have learned, too. I for one find it quite plausible that they would be blind to the blatant unreality of the Organian setting, thanks to their martial tunnel vision...

As for actual rationalizations, well, doors automatically opening should appear natural for our heroes - not because they are used to automated doors, but because places like these would have servants for opening such doors so that nobler people wouldn't need to. When would the heroes have an opportunity to see there's nobody behind the opening door? And the phasers could be in all sorts of places outside Ayelborne's room (indeed, they no doubt only appear in that "cabinet" in that "room" at Ayelborne's snap of mental fingers).

Timo Saloniemi

11. Commishsleer

It does work.
    But Spock is so awesome he can resist it.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

13. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

FWIW, the script called for Kirk and Spock to incapacitate a couple of guards at the ammo dump. Probably removed to save thirty seconds of time (plus a couple lines that would bump the extras pay up).

Sir Rhosis

14. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"What Are Little Girls Made Of?" as well.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The Organians could have put the phasers in a cardboard box in the ammo dump....

16. Timo

...The problem here isn't that the mind-sifter fails. The problem is that the Klingons think it worked! Somehow, the device declares Spock's story legit, or the users fumble the device to that effect.

Or then they just deliver a useless report. I mean, it's an odd conclusion for torturers to draw. If the device fails to squeeze out any dirt, wouldn't the Klingons rather report that it failed to squeeze out any dirt, yet continue to assume the worst?

Timo Saloniemi

17. Commishsleer

My understanding is that the Klingon textbook on Torture says Klingon Mind Sifter on X will cause subject to be uncomfortable and tell the truth.

Since Spock was subjected to Mind Sifter on setting x -the Klingon Torturers concluded whatever he told them must be the truth.

Spock said on setting x + 1 he would have told all.

And Kor said on the highest setting Spock would have ended up being brain dead.

Now maybe 99.9999% of people would have revealed all on setting x but Spock is so awesome he requires setting x + 1 to break. Seriously I don't think Spock ever would have broken no matter what the setting - he is so awesome. You and me however would be crying for our mothers on setting x.
    So the Klingon Torturers aren't really to blame - they just underestimated Spock.

18. Timo

Which really makes one wonder why Klingons would stop at setting x, then! What possible reason would they have for not wanting to hear "all"?

Timo Saloniemi

19. Commishsleer

They didn't want to brain dead him. They thought setting x was enough and setting x + 1 would severely damage him.

I don't know why they would care but perhaps they are not evil as they are made out.

I imagine if they really thought him to be a Starfleet Officer then they wouldn't have hesitated to use the maximum setting or use him as a hostage or something.

In retrospect maybe the Organians 'helped' Spock or knew somehow that Spock could resist the Mind Sifter

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And The Menagerie Part Two!
    JB