What is the 'best' E-D plastic model kit?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ThunderAeroI, May 19, 2009.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats the question. What is the best enterprise D plastic model kit?

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are only two, both by Ertl -

The big 18" 1/1400 scale one, and the little 1/2500 scale one that comes (or came) in the three-pack with a same-scale 1701 and 1701-A.

That's it as far as commercial plastic kits. I don't think either one is in production at the moment, but Round 2 (the current owner of the AMT/Ertl name) should be re-releasing the big one soon.

The big one has all the detail and available aftermarket upgrade parts. The little one in the 3-pack is smooth and windowless, and poorly detailed. But aftermarket decal sets with windows are available.

See www.federationmodels.com, www.culttvman.com, and the store at www.starshipmodeler.com for models and aftermarket parts and decals.

There are great forums at Cult & SSM to ask questions and talk about the models.

3. ThunderAeroI

Thanks I was reading some of the ones on Ebay and i wasn't sure which ones were good. The last link you gve me is really nice, too bad they dont have any of the ED in stock

4. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Give it time... ebay IS the best option. The AMT/ERTL 1701-D is my favorite, and I think the best. If you're looking for something that you don't have to physically assemble, I think the upcoming Diamond Select 1701-D looks pretty awesome.

5. ThunderAeroI

The one I found on ebay is a 1/650 AMT/ERTL version. Anyway to get a Dreadnought converstion kit for that. 1/650 makes it 18" long.

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

umm...

Wait, I thought we were talking about the E-D. The 18" 1:650 kit is of the original Enterprise from Star Trek and was first mastered in the 60's. In fact, an early version of it was actually used on the show (in "The Doomsday Machine", and "The Trouble with Tribbles" to name two. Seems like there were more.) And there are certainly dreadnought conversions for it. The TOS ship also appeared as the 22" cutaway version from AMT as well as the 1:1000 scale (11" or so) model from Polar Lights. Also there were a few "wierd" scale kits issued by AMT including the 1:1600 ship from the "Adversary Set" and a 4" one (I forget exactly) from "The Enterprise Incident" kit. All these versions have their own crop of inaccuracies to deal with. The 11" kit is the closest to "Right" though. The 11" one and the 18" one (both reissues) are both available in stores if you look around.

The Enterprise D is the ship from Next Generation and the mentioned upthread are the only ones your likely to find. And you can also get a Dreadnought conversion for it to make it look like the refit from "All Good Things..."

--Alex

7. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

In my mind they have yet to make the ''BEST'' 1701-D kit! R2 really needs to remake (not a re-release) the 1/2500 version & maybe even make a 1/1000 scale kit! I belive a 1/1000 would bo close to three feet!

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise-D's "actual" length is in the neighborhood of 2100 feet. A 1:1000-scale model would measure about 25 inches or 64 centimeters in length.

9. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Thank you for correcting me!

10. ThunderAeroI

we are talking about the E-D. Ebay has a 1:650 version. My question then was do they sell the drednought conversation kit for any of the Enterprise D ships.

The drednought being the "All Good Things" version with the lasers on top of the saucer and the massive underslug laserpod

11. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Starcraft Models has a conversion kit to turn the 1/1400 AMT kit into the "All Good Things" future version. It's available from the Federation Models site linked upthread. That's the only one I know of.

Marian

12. Albertese

Can you throw up a link to that? What throws me off is that you say it's both 1:650 and 18" long (which the old Enterprise kit meets up with). A 1:650 E-D would be more around 39".

Help me out here, I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about!?!?! :(

--Alex

13. ThunderAeroI

http://cgi.ebay.com/Enterprise-NCC-...ms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

15. Forbin

They mark the boxes wrong. The E-D model is 1/1400 scale.

16. Forbin

And it looks like this:
    http://www.inpayne.com/models/enterprise_d_agt1.html
    :)

And again, Ertl marked the kit boxes incorrectly. The Ertl 1701-D model is 1/1400 scale. As are their 1701-C and E models.

17. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Thats a heck of a ship you got there Forbin, excelently modelled. :techman:

18. Forbin

19. ThunderAeroI

Where do I buy one!

20. Albertese

Thanks for the link, bro. Exactly as I thought, the auction is mislabeled. Let me confirm the above posts that this is actually the 1:1400 ship.

As for the real 1:650 E-D by REL... well, what can I say? That's truly astonishing.

--Alex