LEGO Movie - 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Taylirious, Feb 9, 2014.

?

Rate The Movie!

Poll closed Feb 9, 2015.
  1. 10. Legoriffic!

50.0%
  2. 09.

17.9%
  3. 08.

25.0%
  4. 07.

3.6%
  5. 06.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 04.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01. Let Go Of My Lego!

3.6%
  1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/08/box-office-update-the-lego-movie-the-monuments-men/

Wow!

Well??? :techman:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Went and saw it last night. Highly enjoyed it, very fun movie and even had aspects in it I was not expecting.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Took the kids this afternoon. It's great fun, frequently laugh out loud. Too many highlights to mention though does drag a little towards the end. But highly recommended. 8/10.

4. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dont think any of the live action parts are really needed, but their not unwelcome either. The ending is long, but good. The Duplo invasion could be enjoyable. If they tie in all of the other knock off legos too, it could be very interesting.

I'm conflicted as to if there should have been more overt advertising in the movie or not. I liked the way they told you part numbers and think I would have liked that more often, but very creative of them to find a way to label parts without making it sound like a commercial for legos.

Everything about the movie is awesome.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night and thought it was surprisingly fun, and even touching at times. And the cameo from a certain famous spaceship was absolutely fantastic.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. Shame only it's most famous occupant didn't reprise his VoiceOver role.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Duplos aren't knock off LEGO's they're just LEGO's for younger kids.
    I'm hoping to go see this later this week.

8. Trekker4747

Yeah, Duplo is the "entry level" LEGO.

Here's a full review on it from me:

The LEGO Movie

My Grade: B+/"08"

---------------------------

LEGO has been a staple childhood toy for three generations but in the last 10-20 years has really hit a deep stride and an explosion in popularity. Now with several acclaimed video games and a slew of tie-ins to licensed properties from Marvel to DC, to Harry Potter and many others. It probably seemed inevitable that a movie would be made and Lego's first outing into the world of movies comes out pretty good, nearly (but not quite) reaching a level of quality in story telling and reaching to both adults and children since Toy Story. And I do mean "just", Toy Story is an A or A+ movie whereas Lego: The Movie is a B+. per this reviewer.

Technologically the movie is wonderful combining special effects work in both stop-motion and remarkable CGI, the CGI "gimped" a bit to better fit in with the CGI parts. Other than the "stiff" movements of the characters (due to Lego figures limited articulation) it is all a wonder to look at. A LEGO enthusiast's dreams and play times come to life.

A wizard named Vitruvius (voiced by Morgan Freeman) seeks to hide and protect a powerful weapon known as the "Kragle" (a tube of "Krazy Glue" with certain letters covered by dried glue. The LEGO people apparently have the same thinking as the aliens that found the Voyager probe in the Star Trek universe) from Lord Business (voiced by Will Ferrell.) His efforts fail and as Business leaves Vitruvius prophesizes that one called "The Special" will one day find the "Piece of Resistance" that will be able to stop The Kragle.

We'll come to learn that Lord Business has taken the LEGO worlds and separated them all from one another (each world representing a line of LEGO toys. City, Old West, Medieval Times and others) and has ruled over them with a heavy fist. His next plan is to use the Kragle to freeze the worlds just as they are in an order of perfection.

Enter Emmet. Emmet is a construction worker LEGO minifigure living in the "City" LEGO world which appears to be a fascist state of Business's idea of perfection. The point everyone is virtually the same under a mental control via TV programming, music. Everyone happily fills their role in society, even Emmet who happily drives to work, pays $35 for his morning coffee and drives to the construction site. (Where the building plans are large LEGO construction manuals manipulated by cranes.) At the end of a workday Emmet goes to investigate a suspicious person on the site and accidentally finds himself falling to a hole and finding The Piece of Resistance (a Krazy Glue bottle cap) and meeting Wyldstyle, a female minifigure who is part of the resistance against Lord Business. Since Emmet has bonded with the PoR she believes him to be "The Special" and brings him to meet with other "Master Builders" (including characters and figures from all of LEGO's line of toys) in order to help defeat Lord Business. Unfortuantely Emmet turns out to be less than expected for everyone who believes in the prophecy.

The movie has a lot of great, fun moments in it as it explores the various LEGO worlds, makes some popular culture references and even has some nice surprises in what the movie aims to be about and what everything means.

It's amazing how great and interesting the visuals are as everything from the buildings, to the water and the fire are made with LEGO bricks and pieces. And, besides, what other movie are you going to see Batman, Abraham Lincoln, Michelangelo the Ninja Turtle and Han Solo working together to save the world?

Great fun movie that really should be seen.

9. ThunderAeroI

You are correct, I was thinking Megablocks, kenex, etc.

I do wounder if they could have an invasion of fake legos affect the town though.

10. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, I *WAS* going to see it at 5pm today... so naturally that's the only showing this entire weekend that sold out an hour early... :mad:

12. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Entertaining. Charming. Laugh out loud funny. And it made me want to play when I left the theatre. Why did I ever part company with my toys (especially my Lego)? I really want to build something right now...

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks great, but I hate parents and children so I'll wait awhile. I'm a huge LEGO fan and the movie sets are amazing and well priced.

The sequel has already pretty much been green lit, WB has called working with LEGO a "franchise" and there is rumor a theater release of a NinjaGo movie next year.

14. ThunderAeroI

You clearly are not the target market for the movie and are more akin to the evil forces of it.

15. Trekker4747

Yeah, you have to go into a movie like this expecting it to be a theater filled with parents and children. The group behind me had two or three kids in early grade-school and during the commercials/trailers they were pretty loud. (During the movie they weren't quite as bad.) But it's really something you have to expect when going to a movie like this.

If you're annoyed by parents (which are just.... adults. So.... huh?!) and children (which I get) then go see this movie during the day on a weekday when parents are at work (again, huh?!) and children are at school. Or even a weekday afternoon or generally a time during the week when there's lest chance of, I guess, "people" being there.

16. bigdaddy

I was planning on seeing it 18th because it's cheap Tuesday (and you can't get the discount for new releases), but it's school vacation week.

I hate parents because they let their children do anything. I don't hate adults until you have a child you need to act like an adult, which parents today are failures yet, but will blame swears and music and video games for everything.

17. Trekker4747

Yeah.... that's generalizing quite a bit; but, whatever, paint most of the adult population with the same brush.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I came up with a great trick a few months ago. I was sitting in the theater listening to a podcast waiting for the movie to start. So when the movie started and people were talking and making loud noises around me, I plugged in my earphones again (no music of course).

I found that wearing earphones does almost nothing to drown out the movie itself (because it's so loud) but blocks out the majority of the audience noises!

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Wonderful movie. Whole family went to see it on Saturday afternoon (yes--that includes my kids, so tough shit to anyone who has a problem with that). Will definitely add to my collection when the Blu-ray comes out. Deserves multiple viewings and I think any adult who goes to it should be required to bring along a kid. :p

20. bigdaddy

I don't have a problem with bringing children (kids are baby sheep) to a children's movie, I have a problem when parents let them do whatever they want.

Anyways the news reported that the movie only cost $60 million to make, so the sequel should be out in 2016.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014