Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. I see decisions in my playthrough of ME1 I would take back if I could. And in the connected second playthrough of ME2, I lost Garrus, Jack and Mordin on the suicide run. And in my first playthrough of ME2, I elected to save the Collector station for Cerebus. rumor has it that that decision has dire consequences, but keeping with the integrity of the story, I decided to stick with it.

Don't play these like "games", and try to game them, searching for the "best" path. Play this like playing life. Take what you know, what you think you know, make the best decisions you can according to the way you understand the character and roll the dice.

2. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I got this for the PC and I am going to create saves to mirror my 360 play throughs of the first two games. I think the only difference I will make is to have Mordin live in one of my playthroughs since I meant to play through the final mission again at some point to do that. I got one of the random Mordin deaths and I was a bit annoyed by that. My FemShep playthrough will keep Jacob dead however.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The same can be said of ME2, the suicide mission was all about getting everyone's loyalty and upgrades then making the right choices during the mission itself. It was pretty easy to game the system if you knew the mechanics, but if you didn't know the mechanics then you might screw up and get people killed, like I did with Thane in my "official" play-through. Alternatively, on my fourth play-through I wanted Jack and Zaeed to be the only survivors and I read the mechanics and figured out a way to make that happen. It was complicated and I had to make stupid choices to make it happen, but if I hadn't read up about the mechanics then I never would have known how they worked.

When I play ME3 I'm going to go in blind and I'm going to make decisions based purely on instinct. I'm going to screw up on some of those decisions and I'm not going to achieve a perfect victory with my main Shepard, but I'll own the consequences of those choices. In the future I may read up on the mechanics and pull off a perfect victory, but I certainly wont be doing that with my first Shepard, that would defeat the purpose of playing the game to me.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's exactly how i feel too.. back when i played ME2 i wasn't too thrilled with the game itself.. ME1 had a vastly better story whereas ME2 had streamlined and improved some aspects of the game, i.e. ressource gathering and the equipment screen.

However when i was ready to go through the relay shit hit the fan and it was a nail biter. I didn't know i had to accomplish all loyalty missions so i lost some of the secondary characters and it was both an awesome and sad experience. It really felt like military command and it was so hard to choose people i grew to like for highly dangerous tasks with a high probability they wouldn't make it back.. definitely one of the best gaming experiences ever.

As to the spoilers about the ending.. i think it's too lazy to expect a perfect ending where the good guys win an overwhelming victory and everything resets back to paradise. Storytelling has moved past that as much as we have moved on from serialized TV shows like TNG in its day.. each episode was good, some of them really awesome but they were only, if at all, loosely connected to each other even to the point where something life changing would happen in one episode and the next it was totally ignored.
    Then came storyline arc shows.. B5, DS9, Lost, BSG etc. where they told a grand story over several seasons and each episode had an impact on the entire story and this is what's expected today by the audience.

Over the last few years though there were some specialties.. hugely popular shows that ended ambiguously like The Sopranos (didn't watch the show but i remember the uproar about the show finale) and most recent Chuck that leaves many fans angry because it wasn't the ending they expected/wanted.

I assume it'll be like this with ME3 and i'm curious to find out how i like it.. with a bit of luck i'll be home Thursday on release day and catch the delivery man, otherwise it'll be Friday late night before i have the chance to pop it in for a few hours before having to go to bed.

5. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

you know what I found annoying in ME2?
    SPOILER ALERT
    That you get 'renegade' points for not sleeping with Jack or Tali.
    I simply wanted to have a final chat with the crew before the suicide mission to 'lift everyone's mood' in a friendly manner.
    What the heck was with that?
    You are a 'bad' person for not wanting to have sex with one of the two women?
    NOT cool Bioware - for a company that gave us gay relationships in Dragon Age, I found it surprisingly daft - though I wanted to upgrade my renegade points a bit since I was a full paragon anyway, so I guess there's a silver lining in that, but ultimately, it gave off a very negative message.
    I wanted to avoid relationships of any kind since ME1 so I can use that as a clean slate for a gay relationship in ME3.
    And it's also annoying that Bioware never unlocked the gay content in ME1 (they had the vocals/scenes made for Kaidan Alenko, but wasn't unlocked - UGH).

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Alliance News Network is covering the Reaper invasion.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They should have Khalisah al-Jilani try to interview a Reaper. :devil:

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^ I'd love to see that. Had an Earthquake closely this morning, pretty sure it's part of the Reaper invasion. :)

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Reapers are currently invading and I still have to wait four days? Damn you, Europe! :klingon:

10. Skywalker

"Emily Wong" is tweeting updates every five minutes or so. Pretty interesting stuff so far. Definitely getting me in the mood to kill some Reapers tomorrow. :D

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

She isn't tweeting - she's using a text-only quantum entanglement communicator. ;)

12. Skywalker

Yeah, but such advanced technologies are beyond the grasp of our primitive minds, so to us it just looks like she's tweeting. :p

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Not before my renegade Shepard gets to punch her in the face one more time. :devil:

14. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Hmm... first stage of indoctrination? Earth is screwed...

15. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

In this game, war assets and reputation add to a score that determines your choice of endings. You can play the single player, but you will find that meeting your desired score is more difficult. However, if you play the multiplayer, reaching the score becomes easier. I don't like that I have to play this game with a calculator and a notepad, and I don't like that I am hobbled as a player if I choose not to play multiplayer.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

So how about you leave the calculator and notepad behind and just enjoy the story and game itself no matter what the ending is?

You can always calculate the game in subsequent replays and try other choices and approaches or simply go watch Youtube after a while to see the different endings (no matter how good a game is i rarely ever replayed a story driven game.. especially not something so big like Mass Effect that takes days or weeks of continuous play).

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as the game is fair, I agree.

I don't think that all of the choices in ME2 were fair. At least one choice during the suicide mission had your team lying to you about their capabilities.

I suspect that the "get a good ending" system will be more straightforward this time - just do all the quests & don't be a dick...

18. OdoWanKenobi

Uh oh. Sounds like Emily is in trouble.

19. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

Indeed! It's actually very interesting, this whole twitter thing that is. I find myself sitting here waiting to see what happens next. Kudos to you Bioware! For actually making me give a crap about Twitter.

20. OdoWanKenobi

I know! I've never even once sat here and stared at a Twitter feed like this. They're actually telling a story here that's relevant to the game. I wonder if they're actually gonna kill Emily off, here.