Black Mesa

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Reverend, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Downloading now. I've been waiting for this for ages. :)

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Played some of it last night. Very good work overall. Easily some of the best work I've seen in a fan-made mod. A few things did bother me though, mostly minor audio stuff like the pistol firing sound not being quite right, the voice actor impersonating Eli Vance sounding way off (though he does a fine job on Kleiner and the security guards) and for some reason the crowbar doesn't *feel* right somehow. Like I said though, minor stuff.

I'm having fun spotting the in-jokes and easter eggs. Little things mostly like Kliener's instant infatuation with a certain headcrab, Eli mentioning his family etc. They are however being careful not to pile on the HL2 references, so it's not too obtrusive...though I did find an "in case of emergency, grab the nearest crowbar" sign. Oh, and who knew ChuckleVision was so popular in New Mexico? :lol:

Just for fun, here's a side-by-side comparison of "Inbound".
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8hy0gNLYc[/yt]

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

According to Steam a friend of mine is now playing it, so the UK Steam has it at least.

6. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gonna have to tweak up a proper confined SELinux policy for Wine and get Steam installed and working properly! Desperate to play this, but I can't be bothered to install Windows :(

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't think so. Since it's a mod for 'Source SDK Base'07' it registers as a mod on Steam. I know it shows up in friend activities because when I finished playing this afternoon (i have pop-up disabled) a friend apparently saw I way playing and left a message about it.

As far as I know it won't be on steam proper from quite a while, which is why I decided not to wait.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah I checked his profile out a while after my post and it lists it as "In-Mod" not "In-Game".

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll probably be playing this next weekend, but just gave it a quick go this morning (long enough to get the suit) and so far it feels well done.

10. Owain Taggart

Yeah, they've really done an amazing job. I even enjoy the deviations from the original game, throwing surprises our way when we think we know the game. They seem to have taken a similar approach to the Goldeneye remake, in designing something that at its core is the same game, but changes made to it to take advantage of more modern design methods and to make things look more realistic.

You're right about the crowbar. It doesn't "feel" heavy. It doesn't have that satisfying *thwack*. Also, the one thing that I really was annoyed with in the original game was the crouch-jump, which thankfully they removed in HL2, but I guess the designers felt it wouldn't be complete without the crouch-jump because it's back here. I've always felt it was really cumbersome.

I'm in the room with the cargo elevator that goes down an incline, there's an air duct that I need to climb up to before I can activate the elevator. I had a heck of a time trying to climb up to it and spent at least a half hour on that room alone, only to find out that the ladder in the hallway can be carried and climbed and then I still have to use crouch-jump just to get a little higher onto the box above. It's a little unforgiving.

And then down at the bottom of the elevator when the path crumbles, I assume I have to use crouch-jump to get onto the pipe.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm having a blast. It really is like visiting an old friend after many years. They're the same person in general, but have been altered, sometimes in surprising ways, by their newer experiences.

This would have been worth it just for the new tram ride AFAIC. :)

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think my favourite change so far is the part where they made 'On A Rail' about a third as long and one tenth as complicated. Damn that chapter bugged the crap out of me in the original game!

Something else that's been bothering me; it might just be that I'm playing on "Normal" difficulty, but I'm finding the weapons a bit underpowered. It's most noticeable with the SMG as it appears to take a whole magazine just to take down one squaddie. Maybe my being more familiar with HL2 is skewing my perception, but it's a bit much when I can unload both barrels of the shotgun into a zombie's headcrab at point blank range and it's still coming!

13. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

That's pretty much how I feel. I spent the whole tram ride rushing from window to window so I could catch glimpses of everything new. And then I spent the next 10 minutes giggling like a schoolboy throwing books and telephones at the scientists (and yes, I pressed the alarm and ruined the microwave. Apparently there was a laptop I missed though, I'll have to get that on the next run).

Also, took me a while to figure out what the flares were for! :hugegrin:

One niggle is that the crowbar does feel a bit odd.

14. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of the replacements for the old SFX (e.g. the bleepy bloopy error sound that the retinal scanners and some buttons had, the siren at the start of 'Unforseen Consequences' and at the rocket launch, the houndeye attack cry, the metal clanging sounds, etc) take away the Half-Life atmosphere for me, some of the new textures seem a bit too different to the originals (especially in the office complex and the old parts of the complex that used the 'fifties' texture set, which had a retro feel that hasn't really been retained), some of the weapons don't entirely faithful (not necessarily a bad thing, as they're very good regardless), there are a few physics and enemy AI glitches, some of the transitions between animations on friendly NPCs are a bit abrupt (especially when they die), and some of the voice acting is a bit off and/or doesn't fit the physical appearance of the characters (though 99% of the voice acting itself is brilliant); I'm sure that some of the imperfections will be patched out in the near-future or whenever they get around to releasing Xen, anyway.

I like some of the changes they've made to some of the puzzles to take advantage of the physics, and the fact that they've trimmed and tweaked some of the most annoying parts of the game to actually make them enjoyable while still remaining faithful.

Overall, it's quality work. I'd happily pay money for it.

15. Owain Taggart

The one peeve I have with it is the overuse of crouch-jumping. It's used a lot more now to jump onto things that didn't originally need it. Almost like they designed things a tad too high and barely reachable when it looks like it could be reached with a normal jump. Jumping onto boxes or barrels is an example. It feels awkward.

I'm almost inclined to feel that the physics actually act as a detriment so far. There's nothing inherently designed about the game taking advantage of the physics, unlike say HL2, which I thought would be one of the things they'd be taking advantage of in the redesign of the levels, but when you do come across it, it's frustrating as you can't manipulate objects like in HL2, ie boxes and barrels.

16. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Started playing this last night, and I got up to the one bit which always got e stuck for a while, the damn huge claw monster. It does look and feel amazing. I also hate the crouch jump though, it does seem to be overused

But when playing it, I thought it looked like this back in 1998! haha it's amazing how perceptions change :P