DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, so John Stewart is now dead? Killed by whom? I'm not reading the book but love Stewart, he's a way better GL than Hal in my book.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

No, he's alive. I was saying that he has now killed two fellow Corps members within the past year or so. Hal got expelled for less.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Can't the same be said for Batman, Detective, Green Lantern and a few others?

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Picked up: Batman, Supergirl, Catwoman and Wonder Woman (as well as Ghostbusters) haven't read any of them yet but will tonight.

5. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Green Lantern more than the others you mentioned. It's a continued narrative of Johns' run. While little has changed in the Batman realm, Batman and Detective Comics are both starting their own stories. Same can't be said for Morrison's run which will be the conclusion of his mega arc that started in 2006.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The Bat Family books were confirmed by DiDio last summer as carrying over the same continuity they had in the DCU to the New 52. They take place after Batman, Incorporated. Or that was the theory. Batman, Inc took place just before Flashpoint.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There were some interesting moments in Red Hood #6, though. I thought Dick's original Nightwing costume within this new continuity was interesting (it was both similar and different to the pre-Flashpoint costume), and the flashback to "Under the Red Hood" was surprising. I also liked Jason unburdening himself to Kory with their heart-to-heart, even if we don't actually see it.

8. Trekker4747

Supergirl: Not too bad of a book it looks like the story is moving a bit more forward and Supergirl is about to make her debut to the world as a super heroine. Though she still seems to speak only in Krypotnian.

Catwoman: Decent book, I still enjoy this title but this issue didn't do a whole lot for me, but did enjoy her next encounter with Batman but her being mostly tied up and beaten most of the issue was a bit bland and her attack was perhaps a bit more gruesome than it needed to be. One thing I like about the art in this book is the cat-like way Selina stands, sits and even expresses her face.

Batman: This book... Is sliding. The last few issues have spent a lot of time in this Court of Owls location and it's making the story start to get claustrophobic. What I liked most about this Bat-book when it started with the treatmen and use of Bruce Wayne and Gotham neither of which has gotten much use for the last two or three issues, the occult aspects of the book might be getting a little heavy now as well as making Batman a little "over-powered." Considering the abuse he's taken in the last couple of issues it's hard to believe he (being a normal, mortal, human being) is still alive. The art in the book is also getting a bit inconsistent and looking more like the rough drafts a high-school kid might make in the margins of his text book. There's a splash page in this issue about half-way through that's almost Liefeld-ian in its use of proportions, musculature and teeth baring. This book is losing focus and needs to regain it in almost every aspect.

Wonder Woman: Meh. It's stil not blowing me entirely away and the art in it is just bland. More than anything else I'm getting this one "only" because it's Wonder Woman but the story I'm losing interest in.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

re: Batman. given the disorienting nature of the last issue, I think it's pretty clear, a lot of the scenes are hallucinations brought on by the deprivations of being in the labyrinth.

10. Admiral_Young

I agree with Hound of UIster regarding Batman. It continues to remind me of Batman, RIP in the sense that it is a psychological story. This is another attempt to Break the Bat, this time in a psychological sense, which is why it reminds me of RIP so much. The extension of the Court of Owls story line could be interesting, I don't know if I could take an entire summer of it though. Capullo's art reflects the story in my opinion.

Supergirl #6: Yeah Kara is still talking in Kryptonian because of her lack of exposure to humans. I assume that she can speak English now thanks to Superboy's TK transfer from their encounter in his book but she has had no reason to talk English or any other human language for that matter. I think I'm on the verge of dropping this. I like this new version of Kara, the Krypton stuff is cool as always, and as I've stated before I get the intention of the writers with the pacing, I just don't like it. The art is pretty cool and been consistent all through the book. I see they're starting up what will probably be the Super-Family event with these so called World Destroyers. They don't interest me at all. I'll give this one more issue before I drop it but I think I've made up my decision already.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, I know suspension of disbelief and all, but this does bother me: If Haley's Circus is traveling the country, and Nightwing keeps popping up in whichever city it's currently in, don't you think somebody is going to make a connection here? Dick is way smarter than that.

12. Admiral_Young

I dropped "Nightwing". I expected more from Kyle Higgins based on his excellent Gates of Gotham mini and this is clearly a step back from being Batman IMO.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think Nightwing is a lot of fun. though OdoWanKenobi brings up a good point. i was wondering the same thing while reading today's issue.

14. Admiral_Young

Batman #6: I respectfully disagree with Trekker about the art work, it is supposed to look the way it looks. I stand by my earlier statement and agree with House of UIster's statement. This is a pure psychological story that Snyder is exploring. This is what he does best as a writer. I will agree that it seems to be dragging on a bit, but it is clear to me now that Synder is intending this arc to explore what makes Bruce tick. What pushes and drives him. Trekker mentioned "overpowering" Batman. This story intends to touch on just that. Just as RIP attempted to do. How much chaos and insanity can one man take before he breaks? Bruce has endured so much over the years, including the snapping of his spine. He still comes back. Right now (story wise) in "Batman, Incorporated" he will be engaged in a psychological and physical war (one assumes) with a woman who is the mother of his child and whom he has struggled to love. Snyder is tapping into the very essence of what Bruce makes Batman IMO. Same thing that Morrison does. Only Synder is going about it in a very different way. That's my take on the book.

Wonder Woman #6: Oooooh I love this book. I think this book out of all the New 52 that I've read has surprised me the most. Just delightful the exploration of the gods and the schemes and politics. Diana being in the middle of it all makes it all the better. This Lennox character reminds me of Manchester Black, or John Constantine. Cliff Chiang's artwork though impresses me the most. It just works for the tone and designs. Diana looks absolutely beautiful to me. I'll be picking up her action figure when it comes out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the plus side, I imagine she's much less pretentious than the Morpheus chicks. :p But what you need is someone who thought Ted Kord and Booster Gold were the coolest superheroes ever; okay, sometimes I miss my ex-girlfriend I think that's normal and healthy don't you?

[​IMG]

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

OdoWan would you even pay any attention to a circus much less its performers when it comes to your city? So the circus is in town and so are 40 other conventions and several dozens bands and the WWE so which one do you watch to find Nightwing? As a criminal your not even putting the two together because there are to many other things on your mind. There would be no reason to connect a circus and Nightwing.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Someone paying attention that had in interest though, could.
    The same events wouldn't always converge so a pattern would emerge.
    Circus, WWE, Concert, Medical Conference=City 1
    Circus, Concert, Gun Show=City 2
    Circus, WWE, Sports event=City 3
    Circus, Dog Show, Concert=City 4

A pattern would emerge to someone seeking to out Nightwing.

18. Trekker4747

But, here's the thing: Many people dis-like Superman because he's too powerful so his enemies usually are easily defeated or have to be even more ridiculously over-powered to pose a threat. Here we have Batman, a man who is a mortal, regular, human being, who has been trapped in a labyrinth for over a week and deprived of nutrition and sleep. As much as Bruce has toned and trained his body he's still a human being who needs these very basic things to function, without food his body is going to start attacking muscle tissue to survive, without sleep he's going to be weakened and not very mentally acute. The most I think we've seen him have is drugged water.

It's absurd to think that Batman can just pretty much shrug off being stabbed through the back and out his chest, being sleep-deprived and nutrition deprived and then turn around and start whooping ass and tossing men through marble like it's no big deal.

I assume the art is going for a certain "style" during this arc but it didn't work for me as sometimes it just looked lame, the "hulking out" moment looked silly and overdrawn as did the subsequent panels of him hulked out with overdrawn fang-like teeth. It just didn't work for me.

19. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is at least amusing, though I do find also funny the comments that say something like this: "They got rid of the boob window, now I can finally read this book".
    Anyway, I am happy that Power Girl makes a return. I will be adding this book to my shopping list for sure:techman:
    The new costume looks fine, though maybe bit bland color wise.
    I just wonder if they keep the bust size, though:shifty:;)..

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is this going to be another ongoing then? I was under the impression it was a limited series that was tying up Morrison's loose ends from his last time writing Batman.