Did You Ever Notice Riker Doing This?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ro_Laren, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    Three pages & no mention of Riker's penchant for trying to ram through doors with his forehead (or, from S5 on, fivehead)? Tch.

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, the way he flings his leg around like getting on a horse, makes me think that Frakes had this song going on in his head at the time: "I wanna be a cowboy... and you can be my cowgirl!" :lol:

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

That is what he does when he has something very, very serious to pursue. Sometimes he has to go into the Ready Room to talk Picard out of an away mission, or express displeasure about a female or transporter twin competitor. Sometimes he is pursuing an alien hottie. Sometimes he is just confused.

He's like the bull in a bullfight. Toro, Riker!

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's just a very manly manner of sitting down.

5. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Riker leads with his chin, until Beverly makes fun of his beard in "Quality of Life", then he begins leading with his forehead, since his hairline isn't receding and he has nothing to compensate for there. Unless he feels the need to mount a desk chair.

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

/\ Lol. Someone should question Frakes about his acting choices at the next con he's at. Be interesting to see what he says. :)

7. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I just want to know if the thing with the chairs is something HE normally does, or something that he decided Riker would do.

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question. Riker has an authoritative swagger that I've rarely seen Frakes do outside of the character, but I could be wrong.

(on the other hand, and not-Trek related, but I've noticed that all of David Tennant's characters seem to have the same physical quirks as the Tenth Doctor -- even walking on any bit of furniture just to get across the room)

9. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

What about the inexplicable need to shine his flashlight in everyone's face when he first goes aboard the Enterprise-C in Yesterday's Enterprise. Even Geordi? Pretty sure the VISOR is a technological step or two above a flashlight...

[​IMG]
    "Back off, Commander. I GOT IT."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread makes me want a Riker spinoff show.

11. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I think, perhaps, some of you are somewhat over-analyzing this. ;)

For me, Frakes is injecting as much charm and humour into the character as he can. Riker is supposed to be a bit brash, young, perhaps egotistical, sly, with a good heart and a wry smile.

While Picard is stoic, proper, intelligent and reserved Riker is far more 'in your face', he is the 'cheeky chappy' as they say. The style of sitting just emphasizes this. His wise-cracks and grins are all part of the character.

As for the walk, I think Frakes is just naturally lanky and walks with a funny...slant. He IS a tall dude.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

No way!

That's the fun part!

13. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I never noticed that before! :lol:

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"They" clearly being on your side of the pond.... :p

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    His smile isn't wry. It's smarmy.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it isn't a smile, it's more a kind of... smirk.

17. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I wonder why the writers chose the trombone as his instrument of choice? Saxophones are certainly smarmier...maybe Frakes already knew how to play, or the trombone was somehow supposed to represent something Riker was missing?

I think Riker is more of a Kenny G type, he needs a perm and a soprano sax.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Frakes plays the trombone IRL. I think that he used to play in clubs and so forth in the early days of TNG and I've read reports that the cast would sometimes rock up to see him.

I think it's interesting that there is such a divide in opinion on Riker as a character. I don't think there is another character that divides opinion so much, except maybe for Kirk.

19. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I like Riker as a character, there's no difference of opinion there at all. Like Kirk/Shatner, who I also like, it's just really easy to find some humor in Frakes' performances.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think Frakes tried to add energy, character and humor to his scenes. For all the talk of how supposedly bland TNG was the actors did try to add character and energy tho their scene with little characters traits and oddities.