So we're undoing Indistinguishable from magic?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Tom Riker, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The thing is, that's not really unusual. What we do is work-for-hire. We don't own anything we create; CBS and Pocket do. So there's no obligation to consult any given author before doing any given thing with their ideas. I've never been consulted when an editor wanted to make a change with one of my characters or ideas, though a few authors have chosen to consult me for the sake of continuity or clarification. Once I turn in the manuscript, it belongs to them to do with as they like, and they can unilaterally make whatever changes they want, contradict it in a later book, cancel it altogether, make little paper hats out of it, you name it. (Okay, it's not actually printed on paper these days, but that takes all the fun out of hyperbole.) So it's not rude or unusual to do things without informing us or seeking our input. It's just the nature of the contractual relationship we all entered into. They're under no obligation to do either.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I understand it wasn't something they would have to do. It just seemed to me like it would have been the polite thing to do. But then again, I guess this is business, and sadly politeness tends to be very low on most business decision makers list of concerns.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Indeedy - the thread seems to have gone in strange directions

4. Zman1

Zman1 Captain Captain

I really liked this book. It was well written with a compelling story. I could see Geordi ending up in the center seat like that. I also don't have an issue with him getting put back on the E, I mean it isn't unprecedented to take a position demotion in trek to be where you want (when given the option) just look at Spock. He was the 1701's captain (with the same rank) in TWK but when the 1701-A launched he was assigned as the first officer or Chekov who was first officer on reliant but back to security chief on the A. I could see Geordi wanting to stay on the E especially after loosing both Scotty and the Challenger as for character development it isn't like he's back in the engine room he's the 2nd officer now. I don't see such glaring continuity issues considering isnt anything that hasn't been done before. I hope that in the future this book gets referenced and that the writer doesn't get too discouraged it was a well written book.

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And it won't ever change if you keep that submissive mindset.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, that doesn't make any sense. Pocket Trek has never been limited to publishing tales in only one all-encompassing continuity. Even during the current era when there's one primary novel continuity, there have still been other books that stood apart from it, like the Shatner novels, the Crucible trilogy, and The Children of Kings. Cross Cult has already published Crucible, not to mention translations of the 2009 movie novelization and a couple of the Abramsverse Starfleet Academy books. They haven't limited themselves to a single book continuity in the past, so why start now?

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably because they number their books and have IFM planned as number 7 in the TNG series. Since the feedback is mostly that they should publish it anyway, just outside the main (=numbered) TNG series, I guess that is what will happen.

I don't really get why the number the books anyway, but they still cling to call DS9 Relaunch Season 8 of DS9, and promote/number Warpath as start of Season 9, so they probably just have some kind of fetish for numbers.

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^They like things orderly...from what i've heard...

10. Lonemagpie

Well, FUCK. I was looking forward to seeing what they'd do with the cover if they did.

I hope they still do it, numbered or not, cos I just want to see what the cover would be...

11. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I think the mistake you made was showing Geordi in a happy relationship with a woman. The universe corrects.

ThetaSigma likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dear Cross Cult: Just publish the damn book. Jesus.

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

:guffaw:Lol!

I found the original cover of IFM awesome and put the book in such a way into my shelf that I could better look at it. On the other hand, maybe CrossCult could produce another awesome cover (if they publish the book)? :drool:

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

If Crosscult doesn't want to publish an awesome story just because of a few tiny little minor inconsistencies, then they are fucking crazy. When you break it down, most people would never even notice the differences. It's people like us who really care about the tiny little tidbits. It still fits with the ongoing continuity..all you need to do is put aside the Geordi-Leah relationship thing and it's fine. The whole Nog, Barclay, and Ogawa situations don't even need to be addressed. Same with the Sela characterization. As far as i'm concerned, this is as much a part of the ongoing continuity as any of the other books.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they going to censor out the references to IFM in Plagues of Night, too?

I'm imagining some continuity-obsessed lunatic having taken over the world of Trek lit.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I haven't seen it disappear from my bookshelf yet.

17. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

HAHAHA. I was thinking the same thing.

18. Lonemagpie

I love the cover it's got already, but CrossCult have got such a rep for great covers...

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The Continuity Cops will be kicking in your door any time now...

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It's not a "submissive mindset," it's fulfilling the terms of the legal document that authors sign with the company that owns the copyright and trademark of Star Trek. What you call a "submissive mindset" I call "obeying the law."