MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bigdaddy, Dec 14, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There are possible solutions to 1 and 2, maybe not easy and likely not popular but there are possible solutions.

But today is not the day to debate them.

2. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Newtown, especially the Sandy Hook section, is only about a half hour ride from where I live. In some shots of the command post at the Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire station, I saw a police car from my town.

There are so many conflicting reports. The story is on almost every channel due to our proximity to New York City, so it's on all three CT network-affiliated stations as well as all major New York City stations, not to mention the national outlets such as CNN/HLN, MSNBC, FOXNews, etc.

The gunman, 20 year old Adam Lanza, is dead. His mother was the kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School, a K-5 facility. Many of the 18 children Lanza killed were in her class, he killed her as well. 9 adults were either killed or wounded, including Lanza.

A dead body has been found at the Lanza home in Newtown, but police have not released details yet.

Lanza's brother Ryan, age 24, was originally named as the killer, but Ryan Lanza is in police custody in Hoboken, NJ. Apparently Adam Lanza had some kind of ID with Ryan's name on it on his person. Police are now saying Ryan had nothing to do with Adam's actions.

Lt. Paul Vance of the CT State Police is well known, he's been the State Police PA Officer for many years and is a familiar face on CT television. Seeing him carried on CNN is eerie.

I posted this on FB as my thoughts on the situation:

My thoughts are with the parents of the children who lost their lives for no reason today, and my prayers are for those children's souls.

3. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

This quote taken from Tumblr: "I just wish mental health care were as easy to get as, say, a gun."

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Why can't they ever start with the last step?

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    That's also my problem/worry with all this Mayan calendar bullshit.

All rational thinking people know it's bunk and what it actually is(change of cycle/new cycle, to be succinct). My concern is that the mongos and mundanes might ACTUALLY cause shit to go down by their own hysteria.

Mass panic and all that shit.

My faith in mundanes and mongos is pretty low!!!

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Having visited Port Arthur a few years ago I have to say what is tragic and depressing is that the US doesn't have the brains amd back bone to do what the Australian government did back then.

But then, we wouldn't want the gun nuts to lose their "raaaahhhhts".......would we?

:rolleyes:

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That's perfect.

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Agreed. Since the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996 Australia has not had another such gun massacre. There was the Monash University shooting in 2002 (two killed, 5 injured, handguns used)

We had had several massacres in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Australia didn't ban all guns, only semi-automatic rifles and pump action/self-loading shotguns and, after the Monash University, magazine capacity for handguns was restricted to ten rounds maximum except for special exceptions.

Likewise New Zealand had a spate of massacres up to 1997. Though they didn't outright ban semi-automatic weapons after the Aramoana Massacre in 1990, the New Zealand government did introduce a military-style semi-automatic category for firearms and tightened gun control as a whole.

10. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Never said it would. Nothing justifies an act like this.

But a 20 year old from a broken or breaking family who suffers from develemental disorders and displays OCD like tendencies lashing out at his mother and the kids in her class because of a precieved jealousy that she liked them more than him, or anger that she chose her "kids" at the school over his family can be looked at logically and provide both context and understanding of the situation beyond the emotional response to the event.

It's what we do.

Truth is it should be far easier, and getting treatment and having mental illness shouldn't be stigmatized.

Because, in America someone else always has to pay for their slighting/problem.:rolleyes:

11. Miss Chicken

How do you know that she choose her 'kids' over him, or are you are just pulling a theory out from your arse.

They are now saying that his mother died at the house, and that she might have worked at the school in the past as a volunteer not as a teacher.

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. So sad. You have to wonder to make this person snap and go kill these people.

Agree. Seen several posts similar to this on facebook, but it's what Gifts for the Geeks said:-

Our dear American friends ,in the early 1990's we had a problem in out country with gun violence,after a spree shooting our government implemented very tight gun controls ,in the decades that have passed we have not witnessed spree shootings and our gun violence remains low . Our farmers still get to use guns,our hunters still get to enjoy their sport. The criminals have not taken over our streets and the king of England hasn't waltzed in and taken over ...we are not asking you to give up your rights ,just your toys ....no child should die 10 days before Xmas .

13. Data Holmes

It was an example not a fact, of why im interested in the motivating factors of the shoorte. And I said he could have precieved that not that she actually did.

Doesn't change my example above.

14. Miss Chicken

Maybe before you even begin to make suggestions about his motives you should wait until there is some official statement about the dynamics of his family. So far, most of what has been reported by the media has been wrong i.e. they got his name and age wrong (mistaking him for his brother),wrongly reported he had a child at the school, it would seem that it was wrongly reported that his mother died in her classroom, wrongly reported that his father had been found dead, and now it is being reported that his mother wasn't a teacher at all.

If we don't know for sure even the very basics about this man why should we even attempt to suggest a motive.

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

We've never had the gun culture that the US does, though. It's a very different situation which was far easier to respond to.

We have more than enough social problems without guns, not least a culture of alcohol-fuelled violence.

It nonetheless staggers me that a middle-aged teacher would own four registered guns, with her partner owning another two.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  16. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    When these tragic events like these occur and make us feel so helpless, we struggle to make sense of it all and wonder how we can prevent it from happening again.

The problem is that we simply cannot. With the recent shootings, we talk about gun control. So far the initial evidence is that the guns were legal owned by others and taken by the shooters.

But it just isn’t about guns. Most people don’t remember the Bath School disaster.

From Wikipedia:
    If someone is bent on doing harm, they will often find a way. The best way to combat this is to try and treat everyone with fairness and kindness.

17. Miss Chicken

It would be almost impossible for anything like the Bath Massacre to happen in a school today.

18. Data Holmes

So, it's being reported now that Adam Lanza was an "honors student" and described by former classmates as a "genius smart kid" who was part of a "LAN club" at school and "one of the goths".

So, rich white kid who was a goth, played (no doubt violent) video games, honors student, and had a developmental disorder most likely asperger's or HFA and displayed signs of OCD.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That would be the 1996 Dunblane Massacre which was 17 deaths (16 Children and 1 Adult). The outcome of which were the gun laws were tightened (after already being tightened circa 1988 following another shotting massacre in Hungerford), more or less banning handguns in the UK.

Though despite President Obama's words I suspect very little will change in the US regarding firearms.

20. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the USA, that's the 3RD such major 'incident' involving mass killings by firearms this year.
    In China, that was the only such 'incident' in two years; and it came nowhere close to having a number of casualties (as in, killed victims) in the dozens.
    China has ~1,3 BILLION inhabitants; USA, ~315 millions.

The imbalance is obvious to anyone who cares to look.

There will always be depressed losers who blame society for their problems. No type or amount of mental health care services will change this.

Where guns are NOT easy to obtain/NOT owned by anyone and his idiot cousin, they can't get one (meticulous, long-term planning is definitely not their strength).
    Using knives/other such weapons requires training (and, again, meticulous, sustained effort is not their strength). Also, knives/etc are far from being as deadly as firearms - as the comparison between the number of victims in SUA and China attests to.

What does this mean?
    In countries where firearms are NOT easily obtainable, such 'incidents' (crazies killing tens of people) are rare.
    In countries where firearms are easy to obtain and, consequently, ubiquitous (such as the USA), such 'incidents' are not rare at all - quite the opposite.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012