Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

When does the slow-down-speed-up-slow-down method used by Snyder really become a story-telling tool? i mean, when we see Silk Specter's hair wave about about as she rescues children?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if a Flash movie ever gets made expect lots of "bullet time" I'd imagine.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I never used the expression 'story-telling tool.' I said that 'it's simply a tool, a technique in the movie maker's kitbox' and went on to say that it can be used well or badly and that it made no sense to make a sweeping assertion about its validity.

You're proving my point - you're highlighting one example of it being used badly (I don't remember the specific scene, but for the sake of argument I'll go along with you) and then are using it to use the techique as a whole.

One may as well use e.g. the bad CGI in Die Another Day to attack the use of CGI as a whole.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am not sure why but that would seem to work better with The Flash than Superman.

I not sure if this has been tried - How about alternating between the POV of Superman and Zod, which would be in "bullet time", to the POV of Humans. Which would be a super speed up blur. Inter-cutting of the same event from different perspectives within the same scene.

Or along similar lines, see blurred motions but with camera shots of still images intercut to clarify the action. It could be done from the POV of Jimmy Olsen taking high speed stills. The human characters would not know what is happening until the snapped shots can be viewed later. But we the audience would view the images in real time.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there was plenty of slo-mo used in Avatar, and not just for punctuating story points. It can also be very useful at communicating the power or awe-inspiring nature of an event-- especially in superhero movies where you really NEED the characters to look cool and larger than life.

Such as in Avengers when we see Thor jumping through the air to strike Cap's shield. I'm not sure that moment would have been nearly as effective (or cool) without the slo-mo.

Obviously it can be overdone (as in Watchmen), and it's not right for every kind of action movie, but for a Superman movie I think it would be more than appropriate.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

http://www.thinkmcflythink.com/movi...sive-superman-the-lost-prince-of-krypton.html

This interesting, though likely to prove controversial, article suggests that MOS will re-use ideas from JJ Abrams' unused Flyby script. It's claimed that there's a precedent for this, namely Bryan Singer's Superman Returns re-using a scene (Supes incinerating falling glass with his heat vision) from Andrew Kevin Walker's equally unmade Superman versus Batman script.

The plot point allegedly re-used might be considered a bit of a spoiler by some of you.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Man, I hope that turns out to be just a rumor. What a stupid idea.

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want to see this movie. :)

10. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

I agree with him. Superman's characterization was never about being edgy or dark. It was all about what they want to stay away from: truth, justice and the American way and also the way he was raised by human feeling parents and has morals and ethics to that effect.I think making him "more like Batman" is only a effort to capitalize on the Batman movies success, which in turn changes the entire character entirely.
    It is just sad that some of the posts I have followed reflect today's environment of that.

11. davejames

I seriously doubt this is going to be a "dark and angry" Superman. He might have a bit more of an edge, but then so did the George Reeves version of the character (at least in the early years). And he was about as noble and inspirational as they come.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, just because they're doing a more realistic and darker story, doesn't necessarily mean they're going to make him more like Batman. You can tell a dark, dramatic story with Superman still being a noble hero with good morals.

13. davejames

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I just saw this too. Glad to have something about this picture. Its been too quite.

I heard that a trailer will be attached to The Dark Knight Rises, then I heard that is only a rumor. Anyone know anything about that?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The goofy thing about the thinkmcflythink piece is reasoning that goes like this:

Right, because you pay the screenwriter less money if he uses an idea from a script you already own than if you pay him to make up a new scene or a novel idea. :rolleyes:

Do these guys have any idea how movies are made?

16. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

As far as I know it's not been confirmed, but it is very, very likely. The Dark Knight Rises is going to be seen by a lot of people and if you look a few years back WB released the teaser for Superman Returns with Batman Begins, so there's precedence.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A trailer hasn't been confirmed yet, but as mentioned above, it's very likely since DC Ent stated back in December we would see the first teaser trailer six months from then. We'll either see it at SDCC or attached with "The Dark Knight Rises" which is more likely. Awesome suits.

I want a t-shirt with the MOS House of El crest now.

19. davejames

I'm kinda curious why she gets all this fancy armor, but Zod apparently just wears a black version of the Superman suit.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps because Zod and his ego have decided armor is inferior :) "I have no need of such things. I am Zod."