Unaired Pilots on DVD

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Extrocomp, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unaired Pilots of TV shows are rarely released on DVD. I can only think of 3 examples:

The Cage, which is included as the last episode on the Star Trek TOS Season 3 DVD set.
    The Lost I Love Lucy Pilot, which is included as the first episode on the I Love Lucy Season 1 DVD set.
    Unaired Pilot: The Tim Kring Cut, which is included in the bonus features on Disc 1 of the Heroes Season 1 DVD set.

Does anyone know of any other examples? Does anyone think other unaired pilots like the Buffy pilot and the Charmed pilot should be released on DVD?

2. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

It would be cool and i cant exactly see a reason why un-aired pilots wouldn't included. T
    I guess it comes down to if the powers that be remember that there was an un-aired plot in the first place lol

3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I can think of several reasons why the studio wouldnt' want to release Buffy's pilot :lol:
    The fans would, of course, have loved it if it was added, say to the newer slimline versions of season 1, as the Buffy DVD extras suck, at least in Region 2. There's only so many times I can watch that Hepburn video.
    I've never ever seen the introductory/pilot bit that was filmed for Angel, I've heard lots of the footage was used for City Of but I'd love to see it as made originally.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't know, based on the few pilots I have seen as part of a test audience we should be thankful they don't get a DVD release. Although the Aquaman pilot had potential.

5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The original Smallville pilot can be found on the First Season DVD set.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Interesting. How does it differ from the one which aired?

7. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 2002 attempt to remake The Time Tunnel is on Volume 2 of the original series DVD release.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Birds of Prey includes the original pilot. The biggest difference between it & the one that aired was that they had a different actress for Harley Quinn.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the DVD release for Dollhouse will include the original pilot episode, which will not air on FOX.

As mentioned, the Aquaman pilot was released on a Best Buy exclusive DVD awhile back. I missed out on it.

And, not that it matters, but the Lie to Me pilot episode is still available at Best Buy, and there's at least one scene different from the aired version. And I think they had a different actress for the daughter.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose they probably have to still pay royalties and stuff on those so that might be why they aren't more regularly distributed through official outlets.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The unaired pilot for the Dead Zone is in some releases.

I saw the unaired pilot for Smallville several years ago. Don't think it's on the DVD though.

11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

12. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

ALF's original pilot is included on the dvd. The biggest difference is they replaced the actor who played the military commander at the end and that actor was Blackie Dammett better known as Anthony Kiedis' father in real life.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

A few months ago they released a DVD that had both of Dane Cook's unaired sitcom pilots. They were relatively funny.

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These TV shows that I have include unaired versions of the pilot episodes:

Star Trek
    The Twilight Zone
    Lost in Space
    The Time Tunnel
    Land of the Giants
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (color version of aired pilot was supposed to include b&w unaired edit on the current set, but Fox screwed it up)
    The Invaders
    Gilligan's Island
    The Prisoner (Network PAL DVDs)
    Smallville
    Heroes
    The Man From UNCLE

and for $3 I bought as public domain DVD with the unaired Mr. Ed pilot.

15. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, in the the original pilot:

• Clark's ship is quite different
    • Slight dialogue difference: Jonathan says "Looks like Smallville finally won" instead of "Looks like Smallville won again".
    • Additional footage and more music
    Link

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they made the first pilot into the second episode?

17. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Oh, that's cool. I'm sure I would have bought the set either way, but that's definitely a big draw. I'll look forward to seeing that!

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Dollhouse pilot was cut up and recycled into other episodes but without using the filmed material. Basically the plotline of the first five episodes is what would have happened in a single episode pilot, which is why those were so standalone and boring.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As odd as it looked, I'm wondering if the original US Life on Mars pilot (with Colm Meaney as Gene Hunt, the Los Angeles setting, etc.) will show up on the complete series DVD set.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It just occurred to me why they call them pilots: they are supposed to air.