Am I the only one that felt uncomfortable about the old Hurt Serials?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Newspaper Taxi, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Am I the only one that felt uncomfortable about the old Hurt Seria

Worst thing about the Hurt years?

The leopard skin console room.

2. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh my god, when they released the first trailer for that episode at the end of series 3 I almost lost my shit! Thank god it was just part of that whole deal with the internal architectural collapse at the end of the season 4 opener

(plus; we got a return to the auxilliary console room after that too, and I always did like the wood. The organic quality is something that I'm really glad they kept when RTD was brought in; amidst the rest of the 'tabula rasa' way of thinking it was nice to see a little nod to continuity there)

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The leopard skin console room was terrible, there's no denying that. But still, I thought it represented the character of Hurt's Doctor perfectly.

4. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but it ended up as the coral setting we all know and love so well, so it ended ok.

5. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I know it wasn't popular, but I loved the crossover episode with Crime Traveller. Great to finally get some closure on the Crime Traveller universe.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, the missing Hurt episodes that were broadcast between the hours of 3 and 6am on BBC 4 when only a few of us had BBC 4 and in the changeover from Video to DVD nobody could record the bloody things!

I remember some of us used to call this 'Doctor Hurt' considering how nasty the Doctor got. I mean, remember that Star Trek crossover episode that saw William Shatner return? I was jumping for joy that Kirk was back until the Doctor dropped him off on the Enterprise D's battle Bridge seconds before it explodes with the Doctor babbling something about Kirk having to die on the bridge, not under it.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the Hurt serials! The dark tone is what I want the series to return to. I especially love the episode when he raped then killed Romana III, oh, and when he bought Andric back to life just to torture him to death.

Another serial I love is when he blows up a ship with Davros in it, and at the last moment Davros thought the Doctor was going to save him as the other doctors would have, but instead he was just sent a piece of paper with a troll face on it. The whole reason Davros declined Tennant's invitation to be saved in Journeys End is because he was convinced something nasty would happen. Maybe as there were two doctors a bit of gang rape.

Oh, and the episode when he met the seventh doctor and tried to shove a screwdriver up his backdoor really amused me. Sylvester McCoy knew it was in the script, but didn't know how far Hurt would actually go to make it look real. It's why he petitioned to the other doctors to officially denounce him as a doctor, and is why we had two ninth doctors. Man did that confuse people. They added in that Shalka shit just to try and make people forget about Hurt.

What, he is called John Hurt for a reason you know. ;)

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, who remembers the Star Wars cross Over? Skinned Chewbacca alive and used him as a rug in the TARDIS. Is the reason he won't be in Star Wars 7.

Oh, and when he forced Peri to give him a "happy ending" in that episode when the Slitheen took over Skaro.

9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dammit. I woke up in the wrong universe again.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its amazing how they seemingly keep finding old episodes but not be able to find those Hurt episodes. Blaster acid rain!

I think you're misremembering - it wasn't an episode, but a special. 90 minutes long, in fact.

But personally, I loved it - to see Kirk having to guide the remnants of the Enterprise D into the Veridian sun was infinitely more preferable than Generations was, and a suitable fate for the greatest Captain of them all... and it all happened on a Doctor Who special! How remarkable.

Still, I could've done without the Ferengi...

11. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That wasn't 90 minutes, it was 9 minutes. But it was a special. No wonder Children in Need didn't do so well that year...

12. Ginger

Ginger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not sure what universe I am in! Can somebody please explain, preferably in short and unthreatening words, what the flaming hell are you all talking about?!

Have I slipped into some parallel universe? Is this a huge joke? Is it mass hysteria? What are these "Hurt serials"? Were they live action? Were they made by the BBC? Universal? BVB? Fans? Ian Levine?

Seriously, I have never, ever heard of these - interesting as they sound I can find no trace they ever existed even, other than links back to these pages or blogs of those posting here. Did the BBC send out goons to destroy all knowledge? Did they put something in the water to make us forget?

If I am being obtuse and ruining the game, sorry, but could somebody please explain. Thanks.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Check out some of the other threads NewspaperTaxi has started, especially the one about the 12th (Or later?) Doctor Episodes, before Matt Smith announced his departure. This was apparently a Future NewspaperTaxi. [RiverSong] SPOILERS [/RiverSong]

And yes, as stated earlier in the thread, The BBC has gone to great lengths to erase the existence of the Hurt Serials, even to the point of sending goons with Amnesia drugs, if you did manage to record any ;)

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

[​IMG]

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

Didn't they cast her as Leela? I heard they thought Louise Jameson was too old for the role?

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think that was the original plan/rumor, but it got retooled into casting her as the Rani's regeneration. Stroke of genius, for my mind.

Claire for me, indubitably. Stuck around a long time, interesting and funny companion that could do action and drama in equal parts with a backstory tied to the show but not weighted down by it. I'm really glad Lauren Cohen has had continued success.

I gotta give them credit for "Alex," too. I know he wasn't for everybody but doing a companion based on the "Grey Alien" urban legends was pulled off much better than I expected when it could have been really hokey. Just a shame his species was wiped out in the Time War - kind of surprised RTD and Moffat stuck with that, but so it goes.

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

DING DING DING DING DING!

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hated it when that became the theme.

19. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Just add your favorite Hurt ep thoughts, or what you hated most about his run as the Doctor!

I just wish he had come back to do the regeneration. It was jarring to see Eccleston in "Rose" so suddenly.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A regeneration scene was slapped together at the last minute, like literally filmed a few weeks before it aired. Though it was just Eccleston in a gray wig and dressed in Hurt's costume. They were going to add it into the episode, but the director was less than impressed at the piss-poor job done on the regeneration effect as a result of rushed CGI so it was left out. The scene is available as an easter egg on the DVD.