Klingon Academy: Any Fans?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Praetor, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: No, it works like crap. But the point is it works, and unless you have something old enough to run it normally, it's the only choice you got.

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Ahh. Well, then. Noted. :p

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new VM handles XP well, but that's part of the problem! :lol:

J.

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the two academy games, and when you think bout it, just how did they get so many stars to appear in both games, its mind blowing to see how powerful the Star trek brand was across the whole franchise at one point when you could get stars like The shat and Chris Plummer to do games for it.

I have KA on one of those home made DVD copies some where(You take all 6 discs and copy them onto one DVD for ease of use), i will definitely have to dig it out sometimes and give it another go, i never got to finish it,i think i made it to disc 5, and I'm sure i have a working flight stick somewhere which is a must for KA.

I may even dig them out this evening.

5. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I loved this game, it's probably still one of my favourites to this day. I really enjoyed how you could tweak all of your systems and use the enviroment to help defeat your foe.

I have fond memories of taking out a connie against a a fleet of rock hard Klingon ships and using a combination of combat and shield tweaking in different enviroments to out do them.... travelling through a sun and watching my much more powerfull enemy blow up as their shields collapse with mine also on the brink, or fighting an enemy shieldless inside a nebula. The scale was perfect and it's probably the only game that immersed me in Star Trek style combat.

I hope Star Trek online can offer me a similar experience. :)

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you have never experience a little Star Trek game called Starship Creator, in realtime mode.:lol:

7. Amaris

Never was a fan of SC. Bridge Commander has great mods though!

J.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope you like Legacy, then.

Cause that's what the gameplay's sorta looking like, space-wise. Simple, locked to a 2D plane, with some vertical movement.

9. Praetor

The one thing about KA that bugged me was the first-person, but that's a small thing really.

[​IMG]

Screenshots are a pain in the ass. :rommie:

10. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^Is that the Praetor class battleship? Man, I loved the trek game ship designs, especially the Rommies and the Cardies.:bolian:

11. Praetor

Those would be the Imperial Hawk on the left (six freakin' nacelles!), and an Imperium on the right, both personal faves.

There actually wasn't a Praetor in KA, but I believe the name has been applied to a version of the TOS BoP before, which is sometimes classified a cruiser and sometimes a destroyer or scout, depending.

But yeah, those games ships were positively inspired.

12. Thor Damar

Ah, I was thinking of the first Starfleet Command game. Come to think of it, the Praetor was a Dreadnought not a Battleship (alas I cannot find a screenshot and my copy of the game broke).

The BoF Cardassian ship designs are sweet as:devil:

13. Praetor

Ahh... glad to know my namesake gets to be a dreadnought at least in one game. What was this Starfleet Command game?

I was always sad I never had Bridge Commander or Birth of the Federation. :(

14. Thor Damar

It was a space sim/tactical game similar to KA. Here's the wiki link:
    http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Command

Dude, you should get Bof as soon as you can. I've spend many an hour conquering the Milky Way for Cardassia or Romulus. Great times:bolian:.

15. Praetor

Thanks for that link. I may just have to buy myself a couple of presents when I get my first paycheck from my new job. ;)

16. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried using compatibility mode with Windows 7 RC1, and got it running. The only problem was that the models would flicker with white, so I'm assuming it's a texture render failure. I dug out an old machine and I'm in the progress of getting 98SE installed, but it's taking forever because the drivers are difficult (but not impossible) to find.

As for Starfleet Command, I personally get annoyed with how slow the gameplay is, even with the speed at full. :rolleyes:

17. JGordon

JGordon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Klingon Academy is my favorite Star Trek game, and definitely in my favorite top 10 games of all time. Though it doesn't give you the "full" Star Trek experience (i.e. like an adventure game might), the space combat was second to none. I played the game regularly from 2000 - 2003, but sadly I've never been able to get it working for more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time since upgrading to XP.

KA was my first foray into modding. I remember Klingonacademy.net (I think) where I downloaded Galaxies, Sovereigns, Borg Cubes, and many others to spice up the 8 on 8 battles. Taking out 8 fed ships against 1 borg cube was always a blast.

My personal favorite ship was the Emperor class Klingon ship, I think it was the equivalent to the Fed's Excelsior. I don't know why, but I felt like that ship had the perfect combo of speed, shielding, and firepower.

All the cutscenes really sold the game, and it really had a very nice Klingon-centric story that -- while different from anything in Trek I'd seen to date -- felt very right within the Trek Universe.

18. Amaris

Just for the record, since you guys love KA (as do I) but many of us can't play it, I do say Bridge Commander does a good job of healing the wound. Take a look at the BC Kobayashi Maru modded game. Here are some screenshots from the game that I have taken and resized so they don't stretch the page:

**This is image intensive**

Enterprise E in battle with Galor:
    [​IMG]

USS Excalibur (me) attacking Dominion Battleship:
    [​IMG]

USS Excalibur beauty shot as I pass a planet:
    [​IMG]

Bridge of the Excalibur:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

USS Enteprise NCC-1701-A at Warp:
    [​IMG]

The bridge of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A (Red Alert Mode):
    [​IMG]

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are a hundred ships to choose from. Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi, Cardassian, Breen, Borg, the whole works. It's easy to create any battle scene. Wolf 359 is a blast! You can visit Deep Space Nine and interact with the station (hail Kira and see what happens!), warp to over 50+ destinations, including Earth, take the Wormhole into the Gamma Quadrant, it's a whole universe to play in.

EDITED TO ADD 30 SECOND CLIP I JUST MADE:

Bridge Commander Quick Battle Clip

EDITED TO ADD SEVERAL MINUTE CLIP I MADE:

Bridge Commander Battle Clip

J.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  19. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Bridge commander is ok, but it doesn't quite give you the same feel. Atleast to me anyway. But then, I had a TopGun flight stick that I used to pilot the ship in KA. To me, that just made it that much more fun.

20. Praetor

Thanks for those screenshots, J. I may have to pick up a copy of "Bridge Commander." :)

I do agree though that KA loses something without a joystick.