Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Fractions Fantastic Four has had a few moments here and there but overall I felt was just spinning its wheels. Looking forward to the change here.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

"Spinning its wheels" describes a lot of Fraction's work, especially his Thor work. That started off promisingly, but then it would take ages for the plot to advance anywhere.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I did greatly enjoy Fraction's run on Iron Man, except for the middle third which did "spin its wheels" a bit. But the Dark Reign arc and the ending Mandarin arc were excellent!

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually really enjoyed most of Fraction's X-Men run. I don't think though he was the person to follow Hickman at this time, even though he's done fantastic work on FF.

"Hunger" continues to surprise. I can't wait for Cataclysm.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm probably the only one trade waiting the Infinity event here.

Fearless Defenders #8 - The reveal of what they did with Annabelle and Valkyrie is used to more effect this issue. I was hoping for some minor explanation as to the costume change for Valkyrie. I like the new look, I just also like a mention of it. This issue/arc is going to feature Elsa Bloodstone as our Defenders are now mixed up with monsters, Elsa's speciality. The art continues to be strong and the pacing of each issue has suited me.
    What I'd prefer is that Dani and/or Warrior Woman come back on to the title. It seems obvious now they weren't intended to be regulars in the book, just plot devices tied to the Doom Maiden opening arc. Just as Elsa is tied to this "monsters" arc. I tend to think of a team book, such as Defenders is traditionally done, as being a group of at least 4 or more regulars. The book is currently reading to me more like Heroes for Hire, which would be fine but HfH to me indicates lack of long term interaction, interpersonal and relationship building cause characters are going to ebb&flow. Defenders is a team book where the characters tend to have more of the interpersonal.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FF has been a really fun book, always look forward to reading it. Fantastic Four...has been alright. some issues have been fun while others...have had some odd retcons.

7. Admiral_Young

I'm reading Infinity because it's Hickman, I just haven't gotten around to reading any of my pulls from Wed yet :)

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I forgot to mention it to you, but I also picked up Infinity #1. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks to you I've grown to really like Hickman, he might turn into another one of those writers who I buy based on his name alone, like Millar and Waid.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Infinity #1 was interesting but I pity the people picking up this book who hadn't been reading every issue of Hickman's Avengers before this, they would be pretty lost, not to mention the five or so brand new villains introduced out of the blue here (am I supposed to care about all these new guys?).

Jim Cheung is my favorite Marvel artist, though! He draws the most amazing superheroes! Even if all their faces look the same :p

10. Admiral_Young

Yes. Reading both Avengers and New Avengers was IMO, essential before picking up Infinity. Everything Hickman was doing was a build up to it.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure magic does not work like this... But Blackbot and spoken word spells?

Blackbolt has 5 wives?

Does that mean that the wives are all married to each other too?

On Big Love, the sisterwives acted like sisters.

Maybe if Blackbolt is going to ignore 4 women he's LEGALLY obligated to knock up (it's about future kings, not sex.) keeping the sex inside the nuptials is not cheating, because on earth Queens have lost face and most of their neck for cheating on their kings.

Infinity seemed like a military action.

The further back you go, the more these events seem like a Gary Cooper Movie.

THEY RENTED A BUS TO FIGHT KORVAC IN THE 80s!

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I decided to give hawkeye a try, after my first view of #1 (back when it came out) immediately made me stop reading so that my eyes didn't melt. Well, I've finished the first few issues, and i'm sold on the writing, its great. The art on the other hand is really bad. I don't like David aja's style at all, it looks like something you'd see on a really cheap independant comic from a publisher you've never heard of, it doesn't fit a superhero book at all. Still, the writing is good enough for me to stomach the art. Hawkeye and the Young avengers Hawkeye are both writen well and are both interesting, and the story in the issues I've read has been very entertaining.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I read Avengers but not New Avengers and I was able to follow the story pretty easily.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Builders were introduced in Avengers... the New Avengers storyline hasn't really played into Infinity #1

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all a massive smudge.

Just keep reading.

Secret Avengers is pointless and painlful.

16. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Venom was once a great book. it really did go downhill quickly once Bunn took over.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Figured that in the cancel that either Venom or Scarlet Spider might go. Guess this means SS may stay...until further updates I guess.

19. Admiral_Young

I haven't read anything dire regarding Scarlet Spider...the other book though that might be in danger seems to be Captain Marvel, although Kelly Sue DeConnick has stated that Carol fans shouldn't be concerned. Both have been awesome IMO, especially lately.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Exactly what use was the Falcon in the space battle seen in Avengers 18? He's a guy who flies not a God or superman.