So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Hunger Games - I had to see what all the fuss was about. Not bad so far

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    I'm on a bit of a Babylon Five reading spree at the moment and I'm reading the first B5 omnibus containing the first three novels (I'm on the second one Accusations), the third novel (Out of the Darkness) in the excellent Legions of fire trilogy by Peter David and finally the second book in the psi corps trilogy, Bester Ascendent.

On top of that I'm partway through the Vanguard series on my kindle and enjoying it greatly of course.

Not to mention the other books that I'm dipping in and out of such as Harry Turtledove's In the presence of mine enemies and Terry Pratchett's wonderful Mort.

And then there the various non-fiction that I'm going through as well:lol:.

3. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    It looks like Chester Himes's "Blind Man with a Pistol" will be added to my mutiple books to read with:

"Legacy of the Daleks"-John Peel
    "Bone" Fae Ng

4. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Just finished John Verdon's Think of a Number (1st in his series). Moving on to book 2 - shut your eyes tight

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just read "Kowalski's in Love," a Sigma Force short story by James Rollins.

So that's why Kowalski is afraid of baboons!

6. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Read the three Johannes Cabal books this week. Pretty good, the stories got better book by book as well.

--edit

Cabal mention is post 666

meant to be

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Agreed, 3/4s through and enjoying it immensely!

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished Star Trek: That Which Divides. The first half was alright, but the second half just seemed to plod along to me. I feel like the novel could have been half as long as it was. It's the first novel by Dayton Ward I've read that I haven't really enjoyed that much, but I still look forward to his future work.

I also read the Mass Effect comic Redemption a few days ago.

I'm about to start Supernatural: Night Terror.

9. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I just got books 1 and 3 of the Brother's Keeper TOS trilogy by Michael Jan Friedman :bolian:

Anyone read these?

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Still plugging through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I can't help feeling that if Larsson had been alive when it was with the publisher, they'd have said "right, let's tighten this up, it needs to lose about 200 pages," but that since he was already dead, they just went "we can't mess with a dead guy's stuff, we'll have to put it out as-is..."

11. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

It is a great thing to do, I must admit. I was tempted to go through the whole of TNG, but after finally reading the A Time to... novels last year, it just seemed like a natural continuation. Plus, throwing in Titan and the Voyager relaunch(es) makes it even more rewarding.

It's funny how many details I've forgotten, which makes the newer novels more enjoyable. You can't remember every detail from a book you read 4+ years ago. :)

Anyway, I've decided to split up my Star Trek Logs reading, so I've started on Gods of Night by David Mack. About 100 pages through and top stuff so far.

12. bok2384

I absolutely loved those novels, definitely have to reread them again someday. :) Then again, I'm a big fan of The Original Series novels, so they're (mostly) all great to me.

However, if you enjoy novels that delve into the history of characters, in this case, Kirk in his younger days and his relationship with Mitchell, then you'll be fine.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm about halfway through "Reunion" by Michael Jan Friedman. After finishing this one, I have thought about skipping ahead to the "A Time to,,," series, and just start reading all the books from that point on, in chronological order.

14. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I liked how the first book started with a re-telling of th end of WNMHGB :cool:

15. bok2384

That was pretty neat. :) Have you got book two of the trilogy as well? There is a thread running through all three novels in the flashbacks as well as the post-WNMHGB sections. Still, it's all recapped. The Constitution one is quite good though as it sees Kirk in his first real command experience.

16. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Yep - I had book 2 but held off on reading it until I got all 3 :)

and following that, I got my package from Amazon with DTI: Forgotten History, Rings of Time, That Which Divides and NF: Blind Man's Bluff!! Truly a great day for this TrekLit reader :techman:

17. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was moving some boxes at home and found my copy of Traitor winds (how did that get there?).Well worth a reread.
    Quite a dark little book set during 'the lost years'before TMP.

18. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

"I am better than your kids" by Maddox.

Almost impossible to stop laughing.

19. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm starting star trek TOS: Black Fire. I think i've hit a burnout on TNG reading. After finishing my 24th book in a row, i don't think i can take another TNG book, so gonna switch over to all the TOS books ive never read.

20. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember really enjoying Black Fire, although it was a long time ago. It was a bit trashy as I recall, but it was also Spock pretending to be a space pirate, which is probably the coolest idea ever.