DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with the characters being younger, I have a problem with atrocious and stupid dialogue which has become evident in all three issues of Justice League so far. For instance upon Wonder Woman's first foray into battle as Superman is witnessing her he notes "You're strong." Really? Yeah there was just bad dialogue all through the book.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Like I say, I haven't read the third one. I thought the cell phone conversation between Flash and GL in the second issue was pretty entertaining.

It's possible I have a higher threshold for bad dialogue from young people because I'm a teacher, and many of my students (quite capable at times) tend to speak in a combination of heightened rhetoric, catch phrases, and absolutes. So a young Hal Jordan calling dibs looks much like football players I've overheard at the pub. It rings a little bit true for me.

Then again, maybe Johns is just phoning it in and I'm making excuses for him!

3. Admiral_Young

^ Believe me I wish I was making up excuses for Johns as some of you know I've long praised his work...but it has been pretty bad so far IMO.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they plan to tweak the costume and the "S" shield to make them more like the familiar Earth-style outfit she had before.

It sounds a lot like what what's happened with the end of the space shuttle program.

The trillionaire guy is fascinating. Reminds me of the TV trope I read just days ago... Fiction 500

I'm not too keen on the art either.

Funny, I glanced over and saw that issue too, but moved on.

I gave up on the Batman titles but I liked the shot of all those batmobiles in the cave in #1.

I liked the Wonder Woman stuff with her tasting ice cream for the first time and commenting on rock & roll. I want to see them continue the racy trend and have her discover sex with a guy but that won't go over well with readers. Guess they'll have to stick to ice cream. It's simple and non threatening.

This issue was also the first time I noticed her costume. I've been reading the Wonder Woman title, but never took a good look at what she was wearing. She's got blue boots now, a choker, a smaller tiara and a metalic belt that's pointed at the back and looks like it'll really dig into her if she arches her back.

For superheroes who are supposed to be the best of the best, they are awfully rash and impulsive. I think Batman comes off the best. Unlike everyone else, he's very rational, sharp and "on the ball", moreso than I've ever seen him in fact.

5. Admiral_Young

I don't think they'll be tweaking Kara's costume. The solitics for Feb show both present day Clark and Kara have basically the same design. The explanation for these styles is I assume going to be touched on in Action Comics when Clark gets his costume.

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the story of GA/BC is typical Winick crap, but the art almost saved it.

7. Derishton

I guess I think we're seeing the "best of the best" when they were still just "the first of the best." I like that becoming the best starts somewhere other than alredy being the best. They have to look imperfect so that their excellence is all the more apparent later.

I agree that Batman is written with a touch more maturity in his voice - not quite "Dad" to this bunch of overly-powerful youngsters, but a responsible uncle. I think it helps provide a reason why Batman is integral to a League composed of individuals infinitely more powerful than he is: it's not Morrison's "super-tactics", but simple experience and a level of committment. It reinforces an essential difference: Bruce Wayne wasn't handed something and he wasn't raised to take a role. He chose this lifestyle and he knows how to make it work.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I still had Frankenstein Agent of Shade #3 left over from last week, read that last night.

I'm really enjoying the book. The pacing and interactions are coming together well. I really felt like this issue made it feel like a team book with each character getting a few moments. The art works well for the characters being used.

I still have Resurrection Man from last week also to get to.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In DC-related comic book discussion, in picking up another piece of trash from the past:

JLA: "Act of God."

I feel like I've been beaten on the head with some-sort-of religious hammer from the first book alone. Oy!

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't you already read this one?

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, I bought it on eBay and got them today.

Just read the first book of the three and... Oy!

And AS: Batman 1-10 I finished a couple of nights ago and is complete and utter crap. It seems I've not missed much in my absence from comics the last 10 years or so. ;)

Why am I reading the bad stuff? Because I find it slightly entertaining. :)

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the running joke in Justice League about the other characters discovering that Batman doesn't have any powers.

Also, everyone's reaction to Diana. "Dibs." :lol:

13. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

You did miss a lot of good stuff. But there was a lot of crap as well...

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. Juvenile dialogue plus a joke run into the ground years ago? What's next, are the heroes' tongue's going to be hanging out over sexy French maids preparing to surrender?

Actually, that might be an interesting twist.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Derishton

Combined with the strength of issue 3, I've got high hopes for this book's future.

I've liked each issue of Wonder Woman better than the last. I love how you need to know a little bit about comics continuity, but alot about the "continuity" of ancient Greek theology and legend. And that it's not too keen on explaining it all (witness Hermes' shiny cadaceus effect). And I'm interested in the tense of Hippolyta's statement: not that she would give up a lifetime to reverse the events of the day, but that she "will" do so.

Justice League: Okay, I've read it now, and despite the fact I normally agree with Admiral Young on a whole lot, I still really like this book. It's big, it's fun, the dialogue (mostly) amuses me and I really think there's differences between the voices. I like cocky Superman cutting loose. I like half-savage Aquaman (his line is a little awkward). I like dumb Hal calling dibs like a high school quarterback and failing to even notice that actual people are actually in danger (cocky Superman does, which adds to his portrait in Action - some of the attitude is pretense, I think). And Diana's compliments to the chef: "You should be very proud of this achievement." :lol:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  17. Admiral_Young

18. Derishton

I'm still trying to get over DC Presents reprinting Truman and Ostrander's The Kents in two parts, instead of just reissuing the TPB.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Resurrection Man #3 last night.
    Interested in this "middle ground" not claimed by either Heaven or Hell that seems to have a hold on Mitch and/or is responsible for him being trapped in a revolving door of resurrection. It's implied he's now being held in that space. I'm ready for more "on Earth" action next issue cause I just don't find the Body Doubles very interesting for more than a few pages at a time.

20. Admiral_Young

Batgirl is joining Birds of Prey.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35550

What I don't get is this comment:

"Sure, Barbara Gordon (a.k.a. Batgirl) was reluctant at first," writer Duane Swierczynski said in a teaser-filled statement. "She didn’t necessarily want to be hanging out with a gang of outlaws...and she has serious doubts about at least one member of team. But to Batgirl, friendship trumps everything, and you’ll see exactly how she finds her way to a permanent spot on the team in issues #4 and 5."

Didn't want to "hang out" with a gang of outlaws? WTF? She's Batgirl, she's already a vigilante and she founded the team. I get wanting to re-establishing herself as a hero in the field again but what Swiercyznski says makes no sense and once again to me has to do with this screwy timeline.