So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil and loving it. Next is the novelization of Episode III and Republic Commando: Order 66.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Finished TOS: Weight of Worlds yesterday evening and starting TOS: Allegiance in Exile today.

3. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished TNG: Slings and Arrows book 3. My favorite so far, I really liked the Deanna/Lwaxana story following up her story on DS9.

In fact one thing Im enjoying about this series of ebooks is how closely the authors and the editor kept it tight with the continuity of DS9 season 4.

I also loved that we got some story behind Geordi's abrupt change from VISOR to ocular implants between movies.

Getting ready to read book 4, it says in the overview about Beverly having to adapt to having an EMH but there was one already on the Enterprise E in book 3 talking to Geordi and Beverly.

I havent read 4 yet so maybe I have no reason to be confused lol

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm working my way through MWB's Unspoken Truths. Just about 250 pages in. I'm enjoying the first contact sequence storyline but I'm finding that I don't really care for the Hellguard flashbacks. I'm still waiting for the whole Tolek angle to reassert itself in the story.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm finally getting around to reading Rise Like Lions.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished The Weight of Worlds. It was a decent TOS story. Next, I'm looking for a non trek book/series to read. I'm thinking of rereading the Dune series, but there are also a few random Sci Fi books I heard about I'm thinking about trying.

7. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished Doctor Who: The Dalek Generation.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Though my recreational reading plans got a bit buggered on account of tidying, meaning I didn't read A Storm Of Swords before Game Of Thrones season 3 started, I did get through Which Lie Did I Tell?, another volume of Hollywood writing reminiscences by William Goldman, who, as always, is both both fascinating and funny about all his behind the scenes adventures... Coincidentally, I'm now zipping through another Hollywood-behind-the-scenes book, Alfred Hitchcock And The Making Of Psycho, by Stephen Rebello...

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Rihannsu: The Empty Chair by Diane Duane at the moment.

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just finished MWB's Unspoken Truth. Starting John Peel's Death of Princes.

11. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I just finished the first Mere Anarchy story, Things Fall Apart. Although I thought it was pretty good overall, I did not care for the authors' style of delivering dialog. It seemed to me that they'd have one character deliver a line, then they'd add several (or more) lines of descriptive text having to do with what was said; maybe how the character felt, or how it related to something in the past - then the authors have the other character deliver a line or two, before delving into another bit of descriptive text. It made for difficult and disjointed conversations - not smooth and engaging discussions that keep the readers' (mine anyway) interest.

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Reading the Old Boy manga...and about to start the Judge Dredd Case Files books.

(I still need to see the Korean film adaptation of Old Boy; and I'm looking forward to the Spike Lee film adaptation. And yes, I enjoyed Dredd 3D...even though it wasn't "3D" since I was watching it "2D" on my laptop).

13. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Just started Assignment: Eternity which I am really looking forward to reading based on the good things said about it.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading the Tos novel Legacy by Micheal Jan Friedman.

15. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I just finished up Tales from Jabba's Palace, and it's definitely my favorite of the Star Wars anthologies I've read. I'm now starting the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy and expect to read all three of them in a row, with just a short break when the 4th Doctor eBook Doctor Who: The Roots of Evil is released on the 23rd.

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished New Frontier: Being Human a few days ago and started Percy Jackson: The Battle of the Labyrinth. I also recently bought IDW's recent Doctor Who comic omnibus, so I'm now reading Agent Provocateur.

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I picked up a copy of Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Saga at the library sale today for fifty cents and read it this afternoon. Awesome! I remember how excited I was by these issues as they were coming out. Star Trek comics have never been better than this, IMHO.

18. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Finally finished Scott Sigler's Nocturnal. I enjoyed it, but I read London Falling by Paul Cornell early this year. Both deal with police discovering monsters, and how they deal with it. Considering the writer's I expected Cornell's to be the more action/comic book style book, and Sigler's more horror-esque. The reverse was true.

Now I'm going to read The Capitan's Table: Where Sea meets Sky. I went to buy Once Burned for my New Frontier reading, only to discover a collection of all 6 books is £2 more then Once Burned by itself. Seemed to make sense to get them all.

19. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading:
    Relics novelization by Michael Jan Friedman
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
    Crossover by Michael Jan Friedman
    Love's Labour Lost by William Shakespeare
    Metamorphoses by Ovid

Over the last week, I finished:
    VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer
    Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare
    Dark Mirror by Diane Duane
    The Destroyer: Number Two by Warren Murphy
    Death Count (TOS #62) by L. A. Graf
    Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel

I know that there has been some controversy regarding
    the death of Kathryn Janeway in Before Dishonor and her resurrection in The Eternal Tide
    but it never bothered me that much. I thought the whole thing was handled well within the novel continuity. I don't know when the next VOY novel will be published but I would imagine there would be some long-term complications from this. Much as we saw with
    Data's "return"
    , I doubt this is just a case of "hitting the reset button", although the two cases are by no means the same type of event. Overall, I enjoyed TET very much.

Death Count was a cool TOS story that had a lot of focus on Chekov, Sulu, and Uhura. Always nice to see those characters get a chance to shine.

Devil's Bargain was a very good story. I look forward to seeing more stuff from Tony Daniel. I was kind of expecting to see a cameo from
    a young Horta named Naraht
    , but I wasn't too disappointed that it didn't happen. I figure he was one of the founding members of
    The Star Clan
    and just wasn't mentioned by name.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with The Destroyer series but I am glad they have started publishing e-book stories now that it seems to have died a print death, although the series' best years are pretty clearly behind it now. I first discovered the series in the mid-1980's and collected the entire series (around 150 books depending on who you ask) and really loved it (there was a movie made from the series in the 1980s called Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - it was an awful movie, despite featuring a young Kate Mulgrew).

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished Fire with Fire by Charles E. Gannon.