December Art Challenge: Conference room inspiration

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Dec 6, 2012.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, the most dreaded part of these monthly challenges - coming up with the next month's theme if you actually win! :lol:

Many of the designs in Trek are inspired by real world objects. Some are obvious, and some you can only see if you squint really hard. We had a challenge 2.5 years ago to use any real world object and design something from it, but I'm going in a slightly different direction. I want you to take a given object, specifically a Polycom Soundstation 2, and create a Trek design from it. I've stared at these things for years since they're in all our conference rooms, and thought it would make a great.... something. :D

[​IMG]

You can use all or any part of it to create your design. It can also either be the entire design or just use it to create a small part of your design, whether it be a starship, starbase, real-world prop, or Ferengi marital aid! And remember, this is only an inspiration, so it doesn't have to look exactly like the Soundstation, just close enough that we can see it if we squint! :techman:

And remember to send in your entries at the end of the month to ptrope *at* gmail *dot* com!

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ya know, if I had one of those, I WOULD kitbash it into a starbase!

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I don't get it. You want us to use one of those things in that screenshot and create a trek style version of it?

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He wants us to use that thing in the picture and make some kind of something Star Trek related out of it.

The shape could be a starship, starbase, medical instrument, etc....

Suppose the FX dept. purchased one of those devices and altered it to suit whatever prop or miniature they wanted. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to depict that new object.

6. B.J.

^Yup. Or you could use it just as inspiration. For example, the Sona command ship was inspired by the combination of a horseshoe and a grand piano. It's not a copy of those objects, but you can definitely see their influence in its design.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Hrrrmm, I gotta start over already.

My first thought was the three arms was very Cardassian. A space station? No, we already have Terok Nor, and I wouldn't want to compete with that. Something smaller...maybe a weapons platform of some sort?

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. Damn. :cardie:

8. Scott1768

Scott1768 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Easy. Take two of them and make a Cylon Base Star...

9. B.J.

Don't know how or why the image link in the first post went all wonky, but here it is again in case anyone didn't see it.

[​IMG]