Captain's Yacht

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by RichMerk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Does anyone know if anyone ever did a floor plan or some sort of blueprint for the Galaxy class Captain's Yacht? I've scoured teh intertubez but all I found was a beautiful color concept painting by Mr. Probert and a few basic exterior shots from a game mod I think.

I'm taking a shot at modeling one, and would like to model a basic interior to glimpse through the windows.

2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

If I remember right, there was one shown in one of the tech manuals. but I dont know if it had the interior, and even the outside was very basic. It looked more like a flying saucer then a federation craft.

EDIT: They have a picture of it over at Ex-Astris-Scientia along with the Voyager Aeroshuttle. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/starfleet_shuttles.htm#yacht

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I actually worked out a layout for the Captain's Yacht when I was pitching scripts to TNG. I was trying to work out if I thought any of the existing sets could be redressed to serve as its interior. I think I have a printout of my idea someplace. Not official, of course.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

The only published attempt at a deck plan I've ever seen is from the Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual that FASA released just prior to losing their license. Some of the art in that book was pretty passable, but a lot of it was bad. Very very bad. This plan was perhaps the worst. I'd scan it for you but it would likely do you no good at all.

Maybe we could hit up Andrew Probert, he probably at least has some idea of what's in there, even if not actual drawings...

--Alex

5. QuinnTV

QuinnTV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Captain Arriving" from SOTL? I love that pic. :techman:

6. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Thanks, guys. I always love how helpful people are here. :) The model, however, isn't coming along so great. I've either exceeded my skill level or else it's time to buy something better than Hexagon to build it with. Or both. :) If I actually manage to get far enough along to render pics that aren't too embarrassing, I'll certainly post them here.

7. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

I've scanned the appropriate page of the TNG: Technical Manual. You can see some of the internals in the diagram here.

I think I read somewhere there was thought of redressing the Ent-D conference lounge as the inside of the yacht. Or perhaps, I might have just imagined that... ;)

Anyway, good luck with the model RichMerk. :bolian:

8. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

9. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Cool. Thanks, guys. :)

It's clear the scale of mine is a lot smaller. I'm actually building a yacht for my own ship, not a Galaxy class, so it was never going to be exact, just "similar".

10. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Personally I liked the one for the E better. The captains yacht for the D seemed a little too much like a cliched flying saucer when I first say it in the TM.

11. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

I always thought the yacht on the E looked like a speedboat. :) The shape of the D yacht fits the shape of my hull much better. You're right though. My model is totally looking like the Jupiter 2.

12. Bill Morris

13. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

There are elements of the Intrepid shuttle that I really like, such as the runabout-style nose and the refreshing absence of a big glowy blue deflector anywhere.

14. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Okay, here's the first test render. The top of the hull has the beginnings of the texture on it. You can see through the window and see the pilot's console. I think I'll be changing the nose emblems. Putting both the Starfleet and the UFP symbols on there seemed like a good idea for a craft that would potentially be used for diplomatic functions, but now it seems a bit much.

[​IMG]

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good so far :)

16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Ya- I really like this... Something that's nothing like what we'd have now- as opposed to all the gigs that subsequently seem based on contempory winged vehicles...

This design emphasizes the technology of the future!

17. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Yup, I'm all about putting the 'magic' back in Star Trek. :)

This afternoon I worked on the nose art. I like this version better, but I think I need a better font. Also the interior. There's enough detail to make it look decent through the windows or when the hatch is open, but isn't really totally fleshed out.

[​IMG]

Though now that I think about it, all I'd really need is add a few more comfy chairs or a sofa along the wall and maybe partition off a bathroom... I think the control consoles turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]

18. Bill Morris

This model of Corbeau racing seats was used a lot, in the E-E shuttles, as the Defiant captain's chair, etc.--even in the fake shuttle used to scam Degra in ENT:

[​IMG]

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome so far :) :techman:

20. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

More texture work done, and a basic bump map for the upper hull. A new, modern Starfleet insignia on the nose, and a clean new font.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]