The Pope

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deranged Nasat, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Thank you for this entire post. I was raised a catholic, and I ran away, screaming, the nanosecond I possibly could. I received some comfort from the fact that my friend's father told me he understood completely. He admitted that "the catholic church has nothing to offer a young woman...in fact, its obsolete tenants force many women away". He and his wife will be thrilled that this man is leaving. They cringed when he was chosen, saying that his hard line would only drive more people away.

Anyway, the only way to bring many of those who have left back would be to totally overhaul the entire system. Allow priests (and nuns) to marry so that their "advice" for people dealing with family issues might actually mean something. Allow birth control. Accept homosexuals. Accept women as equals instead of brood mares. And that is just the beginning.

But none of this will ever happen. Especially since they are going out of their way to be even more hardline so they can correct the vision of the "progressive" John Paul !!.

UGH.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first thing I thought of when I read the news was how impeccable timing this is. The Church is just about to start the Lenten Season and the Pope resigns. Hopefully they can select the new one before Easter Sunday, or even Palm Sunday.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Most often, those aren't Catholics.

The Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, as well as some of the mainline (as opposed to evangelical) Protestant denominations allow for theistic evolution--a position not to be confused with creationism/"Intelligent Design", as those are two entirely different positions.

Most often, when you see such anti-evolution stuff, it's Southern Baptist/evangelical/Pentecostal/nondenominational influenced, particularly given the influence those denominations have had on pop culture in the US and especially the South (thanks to the prominence of such figures as Billy Graham). Once you move away from Baptist-influenced denominations, I'm not saying you won't see some of that among Christians of other types, but it's quite a bit less frequent.

4. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, you're right. It's not fair. Some child molesters are straight, and some are gay. Just as not all straights molest kids, neither do all gays.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think God wants them to hide the pedophiles amongst their ranks.

6. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Perhaps this will be a time for real healing within the church.

As for His Holiness, I will repeat what I said in TNZ. I will take him at his word and applaud that he chose to step down, recognizing his own frailties before he was forced to resign or suddenly died in office. I've seen a few elderly that wouldn't or couldn't recognize their limitations. Perhaps he will help others say, "I need to step down."

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't matter. Believing in Jesus Christ their savior gets them the Go Into Heaven free card.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

So, what do we call an ex-Pope? His Former Holiness? The German formerly known as Benedict?

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

According to CNN:

11. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

You won't get any argument from me on that one.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough. There's whackos and normal folks in every denomination.

True and true, but it doesn't really address my deeper point, which is that it is my belief that the majority of people in that situation who commit those acts would never have ended up being child molesters if they had only grown up in a culture that did not demonise all types of sexuality. If they had been able to incorporate a healthy expression of sexuality in their lives all along, the bad acts would never have taken place.

Repression never works, no matter what you're repressing - it only comes back stronger and in a much more dangerous and warped form. I would have thought the truth of this was self-evident, and yet it astonishes me that so many cultures the world over are built on exactly that - repressing what is a natural part of human nature. Catholicism is certainly not alone in that. It seems so utterly self-contradictory and doomed to failure to me.

If I understand correctly, the basic idea is that one should aspire to concern oneself only with matters of the spiritual, not the physical. I suppose that's all well and good in principle, but in practise it's buried under so many layers of catechism and doctrine and regimentation that any positive aspect of that message is lost, and all that's left is the guilt - body = bad.

That's what leads to so many problems - this insane idea that the body is a dirty thing. Why on Earth should anyone think that? If you believe in a God, and you believe that God created everything in nature, then should not the human body - the most complex and intelligent organism yet discovered - be celebrated as God's greatest achievement?

Instead you're going to hell if you even acknowledge the fact that you have a sex drive or that it is natural to want to enjoy it. I'm not saying you should indulge your every whim or urge all day every day, but you have to accept that sexuality is a normal part of human nature, and allow it a place in your life. Doing so does not negate any good works one might do for God. Otherwise it just fucks everything up and the whole point of what you're trying to do is ruined. And yet that's exactly what Catholicism (and other similar traditions) want us to do.

I swear there was a topic in here somewhere... On yes, here it is:

Facebooked. :guffaw:

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though the 'prophecy of the popes' is almost certainly a bunch of BS (like anything Nostradamus ever wrote), I think the next pope had better think of a non-"Peter" name to use... :shifty:

:guffaw:

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

[​IMG]

Myself - I would prefer Father Jack but I still liked Father Dougal.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually I think the next Pope should be black, if only to witness some heads explode in the southern U.S. :D

16. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Forgive me for I am about to sin the ultimate pun but...

Ex-Benedict.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Who's the black private dick
    That's His Holiness to all the Catholics?
    SHAFT!
    You blessed right.

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Inquisition was made to deal with puns like that.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I didn't expect that...

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Why didn't you eggspect it?