Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

From what I understand they are "done" with the episodes themselves, so they've got about 100 days until the release date (December 10th/11th). If they can't deliver a problem-free release, they've got a significant QC issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. Go Go L

Go Go L Ensign Newbie

My sister just recieved her replacement discs today! They really handled it as well as possible, considering it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Hope future discs aren't ensign QA/QC'd.

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Disappointing to hear they didn't replace those CGI / Matte shots of the Enterprise in EAF. Oh well, if Disc one still has issues perhaps they'll reissue another disc to replace that. Perhaps it will have the delta and a klingon emblem next to the disc number. lol

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since when did they announce the release date, or is this only speculation?

5. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Just watched "Coming of Age" and "The Arsenal of Freedom." It's amazing how the quality of the writing improved during the second half of S1. Loved seeing Remmick again. Pretty awkward moment when he asks to serve on the ship at the end of his investigation. Also, lots of great camera work during the interrogation scenes when transitioning between crew members. There was also a cool shot where Quinn exists the forward bridge turbolift and the camera follows him in a closeup right into the ready room. I enjoy shots like that which were lost as the series progressed. It's a shame too given the way the sets were constructed where they really did link the rooms together for the most part. On a separate note, and as often pointed out, it seems hard to believe that the Academy wouldn't take all of these extremely bright candidates, but considering this was the first "academy" episode of modern Trek, I'll give them a pass.

"Arsenal" is always fun. The very first shot of the surface when the away team beams down does not hold up well in HD and the set looks cheapish. However, as the episode progresses they tend to bury the camera within the foliage so it hides some of the deficiencies of the sound stage "exterior" set.

Anyone else notice that in one of these two episodes (I forget which one because I watched both back to back) that some of the reconstructed transporter effects appear to fade out a little too soon? I think it was in "Coming of Age."

Overall, two great episodes.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the interrogation sequence was borrowed from an old movie (and I'm sure it's been used in plenty of other TV shows as well).

But I definitely agree about the more creative camerawork. I always loved those shots (both on TOS and TNG) where we'd follow the characters from the turbolift onto the bridge, or those overhead shots we'd get of the entire bridge.

Shame the direction got so stodgy and predictable later on.

7. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah that interrogation transition has definitely been used before in other films/tv.

8. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ It was used in DS9 a couple times, I believe

9. Maxwell Everett

It's been listed at Sainsbury's website and they previously listed season one months before release with the correct date... so, while not official, it's a good bet. Previously we heard November, but this seems more realistic.

http://www.sainsburysentertainment....ation-Season-2/product.html?product=E11125630

10. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I was just watching "Heart Of Glory", and it has an odd effect in it. Just after they Klingons have broken out of the cell and killed the security guard, then the second security guy comes around the corner and gets into a phaser fight with the one Klingon, and the officer fires twice, before his third shot finally kills the Klingon, but then Koras comes out and kills the security officer. The odd effect is when Koras' phaser beam hits the guard, we see the beam dissipate in round waves from the guy, and he dies. When the guard shot the first Klingon, we saw the dissipating lines, but it looked like that was because of the Klingon armor dispersed the energy, yet, as far as we know, no one on the Enterprise has body armor that dissipates energy away from the person. So we should've just seen an orange area where the phaser burned through the body.

With Arsenal, that's not the only episode that has a bad looking planet set. Check out Troi/Riker's holo deck scene in "Haven", or Q's planet in "Hide and Q". Or Omicron Theta in "Datalore".

But in "Arsenal" I don't get why the orbital shots of the planet are green, but the sky on he planet is blue. It would've been nice if they had changed the color of the planet, or like in "Bread and Circuses", added some clouds to the sky.

11. tomalak301

I just clicked on the link and it's coming in October? That is a lot sooner than I thought.

12. Maxwell Everett

They're in the UK... they do day/month/year, not month/day/year like we do. :)

13. tomalak301

I hope you see how easily confusing that is. :)

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

During the first couple of seasons this was the effect used for any phaser beams (with the "emanating concentric circles".) It's just more noticeable now. Later on (post S3) the phaser hits result in just a red area on the body.

15. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Wow what a surprise. I've been away from this board a while. Last I recall, the TNG R was thought highly unlikely.

Fortunately, a more logical course of action prevailed...

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've been going through these episodes at a leisurely pace. The only episode I encountered audio trouble with so far was "Haven," switching from 7.1 to stereo makes it tolerable.

One thing I really notice is how obvious the make-up can be. I like the episode "11001001" but the headpieces for the Binars really stood out to my eyes. The colour change from their faces to the scalp didn't look gradual enough. And In "Too Short A Season" Jameson's old age makeup looks even worse than before.

17. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

The observations articles continue, this time with "Hide and Q". Additional observations are always welcome.

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Didn't we also see Burton's natural eyes in "Future Imperfect"?

19. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

True, that has to be fixed. His real eyes are also seen in "Interface".

20. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

How do the ships look?