Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Another observations article: "The battle".

2. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Good article, a small observation if I may. The Enterprise's tractor beam to stop the Stargazer performing the Picard maneuver doesn't originate from the torpedo bay like it did in the original. Nice fix.

3. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Ha! I hadn't even noticed that! Thanks for letting us now! We will add this to the article and give credit to you for the observation.

4. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Much obliged! :)

5. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hence the "Prime Directive" and not the "Prime Suggestion."

6. Joe_Atari

Joe_Atari Commander Red Shirt

Great job on those observations articles! I look forward to each new one; they can't come fast enough!

I particularly like the set redress observations; even more so when they are accompanied by screenshots from the TOS films (from the same camera angles even). Since the film sets were overbuilt for the purposes of the Phase II series in 1977, there were many details and angles we never saw in the films. If the series had happened we almost certainly would have seen much more of, say, Kirk's quarters, but at least we got to see more when the sets reappeared in TNG (like when Kirk's quarters showed up in "The Battle" as Picard's quarters -- the desk, etc.). So despite the budgetary reasons for the reuse of the sets, I've found it great fun to see previously unseen parts of these very well-thought out designs.

Without going too far off-topic, the refit bridge set is my fave. It's hard to believe that barely 10 years passed between this (from Phase II):

[​IMG]

...and the Stargazer / battle bridge in TNG. IMHO they really mutilated the front of the set for the battle bridge with that big ugly wall -- ruining the graceful curves of the original set. And since I've never been a fan of the Constellation class exterior (too kitbashy), I've always wished they had kept the original plans to use the Constitution refit as the Stargazer and then used the original refit bridge as well. It was such an iconic set. It's also interesting to note that while Robert Wise shot the bridge set so statically in TMP, Nicholas Meyer really had fun with it, zooming in on and highlighting many of the intricate backlit displays (like the yaw, pitch, and roll displays on the helm -- visible in the above photo) and practical switchgear (the weapons station, etc.). So we (and the film / show creators) can thank the Phase II designers (Mike Minor, Lee Cole, and others) for sets that could hold up so well into the '90s for TNG!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well with the Stargazer, while the turbolift set was reused from the movies, I've always wondered if they meant for that to be a hallway into the bridge instead of a turbolift, since when everyone walks onto the bridge they seem to come from far inside the door (especially Worf who seems to walk straight for a couple of seconds and then turns---not as though he were standing on a turbolift and then walking straight out even with other people in it).

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather like the Stargazer design, but I agree it's a shame we never saw any other Refits during the course of TNG (at least any intact ones that weren't destroyed by the Borg). Especially considering how many OTHER reused models we saw from the movies. Or how many sister ships the Enterprise had in TOS that could have also been refit.

I'm sure the studio wanted to reserve the Refit as something special for the movies at the time, but still. Would have been cool to see.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think that was it, the same reason why we never saw a Sovereign in DS9. The Ent-Refit was exclusively for TOS movies.

10. Glassneedles

Glassneedles Ensign Newbie

Just got this from Amazon UK so fingers crossed it will arrive here tomorrow! If I'm the first to receive the fixed discs are there anythings people want me to check beside from the audio?

Hello,

We're following up on our previous comunication to you about your Amazon.co.uk order XXX-XXXXXX-XXX, which included the following item:

--------------------------------------------------
    Title: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free]

ASIN: B007Q1GK0A
    --------------------------------------------------

A corrected version of this product has now been sent as a replacement to you. Your complimentary replacement has been dispatched to the same delivery address as that used for your original order.

No action is needed from you and there will be no charge for this replacement.

Thank you for your patience and we hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I hope mine goes as smoothly. I bought my set in Canada but will be requesting the replacements in the US.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Man, I wish Amazon US had done the same thing.

13. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Maxwell posted in the audio thread that someone in the US apparently just received their replacement discs!

14. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Posted this in the audio thread, but they fixed the running lights on Starbase 74 in "11001001"! Cool. :cool:

EDIT: Not Geordi's reflection though at 25:39. That's hard to notice, however, if you don't know where to look.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Something tells me CBS is going to review future sets a little more closely before sending them out...

16. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome! What about the running lights of the excelsior class ship in EaF?

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Did they replace the Matte Painting of the enterprise firing the energy beam in EAF with the original footage they found?

18. Maxwell Everett

Nope and nope... nor has the shot of the Enterprise at warp just before saucer sep been replaced. EaF does not appear to be changed visually in any way... so if you're going to watch it, watch the one on the Next Level disc (if you have it, that is!), since the audio is still better on that release.

Is there a head shake smilie?

19. Maxwell Everett

For those wondering:

• "Code of Honor" still has that shot at 21:15 that was rendered at half vertical resolution (540p).
    • "Hide and Q" still has a shot at 1:49 where the circling lights around the Q Aldebaran Serpent suddenly freeze before the shot cuts.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well...here's hoping CBS has better quality control on season two.