The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was thinking just the other day... We may not see the Penguin in this movie, but what if they at least name-dropped "Oswald Cobblepot"? A brief cameo such as a quick shot on a TV screen in the background would be nice, or including him in a montage at the end would be even better, but I'd do with his name being mentioned. The Penguin came to mind, but they could do this with any villain.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't expecting Nolan to pay homage to the Eartha Kitt Catwoman of all things, and I was honestly expecting a design more akin to the modern look, with the cowl and the goggles, but I guess Nolan still likes to surprise us even after all of these years.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That Catwoman costume if awful. Hopefully those stills are from a scene where she's at a costume party. And the more I see of her, the more I think that Anne Hathaway was a terrible choice for this role.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Most of the costume is fine ... outside of the utterly ridiculous fetish boots and stiletto heels. Yeesh.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know this is kind of backwards thinking, but I would have liked it better if it wasn't actually a catsuit. I really prefer the Catwoman look from the upcoming "Arkham City" game, and I think something like that would have worked better for the Nolanverse.

7. Timby

Uh...

[​IMG]

Yes, that is in no way less ridiculous than Hathaway's stiletto heels. :p

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe I'm thinking of something else. :lol:

Either way, Arkham City catwoman pulls it off better. Anne Hathaway just looks awkward.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Hathaway looks fine... but yeah, that suit is a little dull.

To be honest, there hasn't been ANYTHING so far that's gotten me excited about this movie. The trailer, the Bane and Catwoman costumes... they've all fallen kind of flat for me.

I'm sure Nolan will still deliver a strong, kickass movie in the end (because he's too good a director NOT to), but I'm definitely not feeling it right now.

10. Tylervo

Tylervo Guest

I don't really care much for the title since it's so close to the name of the previous film. But in the end it doesn't matter since most people are going to refer to it as "that new Batman movie" anyways.

If Hugo Strange winds up being the big bad then I can see Tom hardy playing him.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I said the same thing a few pages back. It may be an adequate action film, but it doesn't seem as interesting, with the moral heft that was evident in the first TDK teaser, which showed no footage at all!

12. JacksonArcher

This is what usually happens in the months leading up to any Nolan Bat-film. Prior to the release of Batman Begins, people were complaining about Batman's costume, that The Scarecrow only wore a burlap sack, that Ra's al Ghul was apparently Asian, the Batmobile looked too much like a tank and not like a traditional muscle car, etc etc etc.

The same thing happened in the months leading up to The Dark Knight. People complained that Heath Ledger was all wrong for The Joker, that The Joker wasn't "perma-white", Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't attractive enough for Rachel Dawes, Batman's costume was too segmented and robotic looking, and the list continues.

People are going to complain before The Dark Knight Rises opens. It's just natural, and the way of the universe. Of course, when people started seeing actual footage of the movies, they changed their tune. I remember in 2007 when people were so against Ledger as The Joker, and then the theatrical trailer debuted in December and people were over the moon.

I look forward to the release of the theatrical trailer, which will probably sway a lot of people who are either indifferent or disinterested in the film thus far. I've witnessed it two movies in a row, so I'm pretty sure the same will once more transpire for this one. In the end, despite all of Nolan's unfavorable decisions in regards to the comic-book accurateness of costumes or certain details, his films have always been excellent, and that's what I'm most looking forward to: a good movie.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I mean this in the best way possible: (seriously I do) but while your point is well-taken, you shouldn't just defend the film because it's a Nolan film and one of his Batfilms. If there are legitimate grievances and complaints I hope that you would judge them accordingly

14. JacksonArcher

I don't really see a need to complain. I mean, I can understand if certain things aren't to people's liking, but I have no problems with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman outfit. Mostly because I know her performance is probably going to out-weigh any quibbles I might have with the aesthetics, very similar to Ledger's Joker or Murphy's Scarecrow.

I've realized now that even if we don't particularly like certain elements of Nolan's movies, like the costumes or what not, that the end usually justify the means. He consistently delivers good movies. I don't even necessarily have a problem with the aesthetics of certain characters like Scarecrow, Joker or Catwoman. I know some people might have preferred a more comic-book accurate look, but I'm fine with what Nolan has given us. I don't think it's such a radical departure from the comic-books. Anne Hathaway looks like, for all intents and purposes, Catwoman. She's wearing black leather, has a mask of some sort, and has cat ears. That's Catwoman to me.

I'm going to wait to judge until I see the movie, or until I have seen enough to adequately judge particular elements. I mean, honestly, I'm much more interested in Nolan's portrayal of Selina Kyle/Catwoman than I am about her outfit.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

And this.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Screw that, because a director's rep, even his track record, plays a little into this. The film is either interesting or it's not. From what we've seen, TDKR is simply a wrap-up of the trilogy, offering new villains in the physical sense but hardly establishing it's own complex themes.

17. Timby

How can you really make that statement, though? We know nothing of the story, and the only footage we've seen have been bits and pieces from a teaser trailer. There quite simply hasn't been enough released to form such a statement, particularly that it isn't establishing its own complex themes. (And it's not like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight were particularly subtle or complex about their themes, in any event.)

I just think it's kind of hilarious that in a series that's been all about ... well, not realism, but at the very least a heightened sense of verisimilitude, with things having practical explanations ... there's Catwoman wearing thigh-high stiletto boots more befitting a stripper. I mean, they're completely unusable, and there she is strutting around in them. :lol:

18. JacksonArcher

According to rumors Nolan is literally taking a page out of Batman: Year One and making Selina Kyle a prostitute. Or at least that will be part of her back-story. So while the stiletto boots might not be practical in a crime-fighting sense, at least it sort of makes sense given her purported back-story. :p

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The high heels don't really bother me. Nearly every Catwoman has had them, and they don't seem any more "impractical" to me than her tight leather costume, or Batman's extra long cape which seems like it would be annoying as hell to deal with night after night. Or a massive Batmobile which seems like it would stick out like a sore thumb in Gotham.

20. JacksonArcher

Batman's cape is easily explained: He just hasn't seen The Incredibles yet. ;)