The OFFICIAL new Enterprise - Let the critiques begin!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That visual isn't at all persuasive - a lot of guesswork based on just about nothing.

2. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

You all are aware that that drawing is highly speculative and might look very different than the actual ship shown. The secondary hull and it's connection to the saucer have never been shown in the teaser and so are probably assumed here to be similar to the TMP-version (including the torps).

And many inconsistencies can be clearly seen. The nacelles miss the gabe-cowls and the intercoolers look different than shown in the teaser.
    The nacelle support pylon is briefly glimpsed on the screen and to me looked not angeled back like shown in that sketch but straight like the original.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

I think we can depend upon that.

4. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

...That-makes-no-sense-at-all.

5. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the size analysis pic.

The possible Star Trek XI design is very close to how the Enterprise looks in the Matt Jefferies sketchbook.

Just As Originally Intended tm. :thumbsup:

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I don't have my copy handy, but didn't "The Making of Star Trek" make mention that the major hull structures were built on earth in San Fran, then assembled in orbit? :vulcan:

7. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may be good. It may be bad. But it isn't the way he drew it, or intended it to be, no matter how many times you say that it was. A lie many times spoken may fool some fools, but is still just as foolish.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he's referring to that mislabled pic in "The Art of Star Trek" that's actually a prelim sketch of the refit from around '77.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

WHICH mislabeled pic? My fave screwup isn't in ART, but in the PHASE II book, where they have a piece of final vger TMP artwork (pretty much what you see in the DE) described as an early discarded concept.

and HUTT, the bible stuff mentioning things being built dirtside could mean 'the doors' for all we know. Certainly you don't fabricate and assemble huge components at the base of a gravity well and then figure out how to haul them, not for a ship that can't land on a planet, which the bible more famously states.

10. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

considering that the nacelle 'hoods' are of a clearly different shape (much closer to longer, smooother Gabe-cowls than what we see here) and the 'ribbing' that Bernd depicts on his drawing looks more like the highlights from the worklights along the nacelles than an actual structure, it's already obviously quite inaccurate.

Considering that we have yet to see the back of the ship or the secondary hull (or, for that matter, the neck in any great detail), I think that it'd be wise to hold off on the 'travesty' bit. If there's antennae sprouting all over the hull in various spots and the proportions are noticeably different, then I'll probably join in you dissing the design. But it looks like the ship's continuing in the general Star Trek vein of mostly smooth hulls, and the structures that we can see are largely the same proportionally, so I'm going to hold off for a bit.

11. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that image is, indeed, a bit of a travesty. but i don't see that it bears any detail relationship to the ship from the teaser. :)

(i mean, where's all the welder dudes?)

12. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I think people are exaggerating the size of the Enterprise in the teaser by quite a bit. If we look at Jefferies Phase II drawings... which has figures of people for reference, it doesn't seem all that different to me.

[​IMG]

What I see, from a quick study, is that the edge is maybe 30% thicker than the Phase II plans. And for stuff that most likely won't even end up in the film, that isn't all that far off.

I mean, come on, they don't even need to finalize the design of the Enterprise itself until summer if they don't want too. They just threw together stuff to make a short teaser.

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

They should've thought this one through a bit more, then.

Anyone with half a brain could've told them that if the ship didn't look right, they were gonna catch hell for it.

14. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, JJ is losing sleep over what a few people on a messageboard think about an incomplete design seen half in shadow a year before it's complete.

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

This coming from the guy who wouldn't even put main engineering in the right location in his plans. ;)

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

^You base that on what, something from TOS-R? HUTT, you're more pathetic all the time.

Christ, between you and that ANCIENT asshole, I'll be happy to take a vacation from this place.

Thank God ILMFAN.COM is almost open for business again.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Perhaps their mistake then is employing people with whole brains.

They're not catching hell for anything. Some people on the Internet are complaining, and there's nothing unusual about that.

18. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I blame it on me being an asshole. Damn, why do I have to be that way? WHY??

That's always how people get into trouble here on the internets.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, the more brain you have the more likely you are to get stuck in one of those tubes.

20. Aegis

Aegis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!

Dark Horizons

Story on the Dark Horizons website....and a Small picture of the ship!