Ewww.. SGU let's have some freaking protocol

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My main problem with that "different direction" was that it often cut off avenues for character development through interaction and made characters revolve around certain events for too long. Also, the writers also had a tendency to shove cool stuff and character development into scenarios that wound up negating those events, which meant that it felt like they were hitting the reset button a lot.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gah going to have to hurry up and finish SGU so I can read the spoilers.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

First time through, S1 was a chore for me, but S2 I liked at least half of S2 first 10 episodes. The back half of S2, I wouldn't rate many under 7, and that's not more than 1 or 2 episodes, most of them score an 8 or higher, it really is a shame it only survived long enough for it to show how good it could really be (Oh, but, it does have a nice conclusion like Caprica (Not a Coda, but, a nice wrap up). So, although you'll be left wanting to hear more stories, you'll feel satisfied that an ending was provided, and it went out on a high note.

I plan to revisit SGU soon, to see if I can find any enjoyment in S1 via marathon viewing

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

I didn't mean it wasn't in the trailer, I meant it didn't last only one episode.

I would say children being allowed on the internet lead to that picture :rommie:

5. teacake

Greer: why am I a big fan? Big dumb dude with gun.. but great acting and nice comic reality relief. I guess he's SG:U's Ronan.

I also think Dale Volker is rather appealing. He and Greer are currently recovering from their kidney surgery so hopefully they both don't die. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him, he has Rodney qualities minus the mania.

Speaking of the kidney surgery.. WTF PARK, put your hair up!! It's like, falling into the freaking wounds!!! And you know all these Destiny quarters came with nifty shiny blankets. I'm sure there are tons of spare ones, why couldn't they rip some up and make surgical masks and hair net things? Actually you could rip them up and make CLOTHES so that everyone isn't wearing the same thing all the time. I bet there's at least one person there who can sew.

6. teacake

Seizure

Finally! Finally!! RODNEY MCKAY :adore:

God that Rush romance was pukey. I can't stand watching him kiss Amanda Perry. He always looks like a strung out junkie to me. I was repulsed by him in episode one and I'm still repulsed.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The main problem with the show is the premise. After 10 seasons of SG1 and 4 seasons of SGA, we know that Carter or McKay would have brought all those people back in the first episode. AND O'Neill and Sheppard would establish a clear command hierarchy without some bitch and some eccentric scientist running around scheming and fucking things up.

8. teacake

Such a spoilsport JR, LOLOL

9. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Yeah, but they're not there, so...

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The thing is one is used to... rational characters, but that show is loaded with incompetent psychopaths. SG1 and SGA have problem solvers, SGU has problem procrastinators, I can't stand that.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Now that's simply not true. Let's have a look at

Off the top of my head

Ignores Advice that attempting to dail Earth will drain what little power they have.
    His Actions lead to a coup by the civilians.
    Allows a hostile Alien (Lucian Alliance) to gain a foothold on the ship.

:p

Erm, on second thoughts. Agreed terrible, border line incompetant, how he got onto the SG programme is a mystery etc..

12. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok that's pretty funny... but, the hotness ratings are a bit off.

Perry, a nine? Give me a break. Wray, a 6 is even still too generous, Chloe probably deserves more like a 7, but I can understand how watching her character can make someone not vote with a clear mind.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Attractiveness (or notness in this case) is in the eye of the beholder.

14. Yoda

And sometimes the beholder could use some LASIK action :p

15. teacake

The only woman on the show I think is consistently hot is James.

Tamara is sometimes quite lovely but not much personality.

Park, she is kind of interesting, I'd like to have lunch with her.

Cannot STAND Camille.

Chloe, I'm still yawning.

Kiva was a joke.

Perry is way too frail.

Ginn is hot in a The Guild kinda way, pretty, nice to listen to. Very nice hair.

16. Yoda

^Sort of a quiet nerdy thing... not my usual but nice.
    [​IMG]

17. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

They're just real people. Square-jawed heroes like Carter and Sheppard don't exist in real life. They're cartoon characters by comparison. You put real people in a hopeless situation and see what happens. Hell, look at some of the crap troops in the Middle East have gotten up to. Now times that by a thousand.

The child-like notion that they'd all play happy families and get along fine while they adventured though the universe is ridiculous, and wouldn't suit an adult show at all. If anything, I don't think they pushed the envelope enough.

18. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Them not being all one big happy family isn't the problem. The problem is the fact that aside from Rush, none of the supposed leadership (Young or Wray) seems to be able to figure out that they should focus on increasing the odds of their survival instead of wasting time and energy on petty squabbles that decreased their ability to survive in the long term.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I would agree Rush tended to take the view of what they needed to do too survie. Whilst Young seemed to take the view of what needed to be done so everyone survived. Rush at times appeared to be willing to sacrifice someone if it improved the survival chances of the remainder.

Which is right or wrong depends on your point of view, but Rush appeared to be more willing to take the tough decisions than Young.

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

But then, that's because Col. Young had actual empathy for the people around him, and Rush just didn't give a shit. He scarcely cared about anyone but himself. If other people had to die so he could live, so be it.

Not that Young was any kind of role model, though. That's one thing I always thought was a stretch on this show. The Icarus base was a remote outpost, part of a DoD program so secret the general public has not even the slightest knowledge of it, and they would dare to staff it with anything but the best of the best of the best?

Rush made sense. He was brilliant and clearly understood the science of what they were doing at a level no one else (save Eli) could touch. But Young? Air Force Colonels command entire flight wings--they can't be incompetent or preoccupied with petty personal issues. He was a piss poor unit leader, and you don't get to that kind of position by being bad at your job.

The most gutsy decision he made was to leave Rush behind on that planet, and even that totally blew up in his face because he just can't plan and execute anything competently.