Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Donny, I love your recreations of those sets! The attention to detail is astonishing. Have you ever thought about writing spherical (equirectangular) images out of the engine and uploading them to a site like http://www.panogio.com? That way we could immerse even more on your work. I would love to pan around the brigde, sickbay or engineering.

Just for the heck of it, I created a spherical view from that establishing shot from "The Man Trap". Enjoy.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Will do. I will have to wait for that until I build the office set, so I'll know how much room there is to work with. I too had the idea of putting a hand sink there, and tried a few different things, but everything looked a little too out of place. I think it's best it remains a mystery. Only problem is that the player can venture into the "booth" unless I put an invisible wall there preventing it, which would most certainly ruin the immersion more.:rolleyes:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x18hd/thelightsofzetarhd0441.jpg

It was an "inspired guess" ;)

Unfortunately, I too have to do lighting compiles with each change I make to the map file. These can take anywhere from a single minute to a few hours, depending on the complexity of the map, and the quality of the lighting I select. For example, the sickbay examination room by itself takes about an hour to compile at this point at full production lighting quality. However, the string of corridors I've constructed so far with the transporter room, briefing room, and turbolifts in place took over 8 hours last time I compiled it! It makes sense that I build these things separately to reduce lighting compile times and then combine them all later, and then go to sleep or to work to wait on the full compile.

However, these compile times will have no effect on the eventual audience. Once I do my final lighting compiles, the map files load instantly (on my PC, however).

Not sure how to do this. Is there a program for it?

3. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Donny - I just got back from a trip and AWESOME detailed work! :techman:

4. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd better get my T-16 Holodeck working again before he's finished with this project. Although I heard they modified the power source for for the holo-emitters... maybe I'll wait for the T-17 upgrade to be released.... Either way, this simulation is going to rock! Now where did I put Dix's transponder code? Moriarty is going to want a piece of this too...

5. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

The bottom of your Mr. Microphone seems to be intersecting the green surface, just so you know.
    So, um, any way this can be ported to XBox? Huh? Huh? :)

6. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

that and a greenscreen and bang! fan film central

7. Donny

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, but you'll notice I already caught that if you read the caption above the picture. Sheesh ;)

As far as an XBox port, I think it's possible, since UDK has options to build projects for consoles. How to do so is beyond me at this point. I shall look into it closer to time to release.

8. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Oops sorry man. I was distracted by the great artwork!

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This would make a great indy app in the XLA.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lovely, clean work, Donny.

11. JOVE23

JOVE23 Ensign Newbie

This is awesome.

I'd love to see this get merged with Gambit Realm's project somewhere down the line so we can have a goregous living breathing E, and add multiplayer me and 400 of my closest friends can make the thing go.

EDIT: Also, this might be a common sense/no-duh thing, but I'd like to be able to sit in all the chairs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Donny: I think we have the opportunity to make the instrument stand a bit more accurate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like rather than just round metal tubes for legs, they are much wider than that. And these views show how the legs are attached to the platform and lower shelf.

Also, at first I was liking the red panel on that back wall. I thought it was great to use an already known wall plant-on. But it's starting to scream "Engineering" to me. Having this clunky plumbing-thing in a hospital room is starting to feel incongruous. I might be inclined to replace it with just a boring red panel lke the one we saw in "That Which Survives." But it's your call, of course.

[​IMG]

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Wow, the add-on table starts to look better, good catch GSchnitzer!

Here's the shot that reveals the existence of the red panel to the left of the doorframe but obviously we cannot see whether it's plain or not, although I believe this may just be the same as the one as seen in the "That Which Survives" transporter room scene.

Because the sickbay scene is from "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" and in the same episode the panel with the GNDN on it makes its onscreen appearance in the A-frame corridor. I am not aware that they usually removed items during shooting to relocate these elsewhere...(could have caused continuity problems)

Bob

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  14. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, they might have had more than one, of course. Also, we at Phase II are always swapping things around, robbing Peter to pay Paul to decorate our sets, although we're on much more of a shoestring budget. But it can be done, and that's why we have continutity people.

Nevertheless, for that one red plant-on, it might prove to be more distracting than interesting in Sickbay.

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I just looked up feek61's excellent research on the issue and that tells me that the red GNDN panel ("WP5") was a permanent part of the large panel with the horizontal alert indicator / speaker, accurately reproduced by Donny (post # 87).

Apparently they only removed the large panel in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" (no A-frame corridors this episode) and attached it in the main corridor to simulate two different corridors during the ship wide call.

It stands to reason we are looking at a unique piece of production decoration where either you remove the whole panel or leave it be. Therefore, it's probably just the plain red panel in the exam room in "Let That Be...".

Bob

16. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I was watching the episode "The Man Trap". I noted that the door sign for the room to the right of the turbolift had its name changed from "Computer Statistics" to "Electrographic Analysis". For me, this is evidence that they did changes to the corridor scene to reflect that, yes, this is a different deck.

17. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Well, there's also no doubting that real Trek did the same thing - standard practice for most TV shows - so no harm, no foul.

18. Donny

@Greg: You mean I'm still not done with the examination room? "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!" :rommie:

Great find though. Also looks like the two shelves attached to the legs are metallic rather than the flat dark grey I have it as currently. I'll make the necessary adjustments soon.

@All: I'm also leaning towards using just a plain red panel by the office door. I'm agreeing that the panel I'm using now is too engineering-ish.

Speaking of that particular red corridor plant-on, it was used as early as "Charlie X", in the same A-frame corridor it always was, with the exception of its third season appearances in the main corridor in "Is There In Truth No Beauty" and "The Mark of Gideon". It also appears it is always attached to the larger grey panel that moved with it, as Robert Comsol pointed out.

Intensive Care Ward Room shots coming tomorrow...

19. JOVE23

JOVE23 Ensign Newbie

Do you have any plans to release an .exe or map file so some of us can walk around and look for bugs, clipping issues, etc?

20. Donny

Like any program, game, app, etc, this project will undergo a beta testing phase. That phase, however, will come much later. Rest assured that everyone here at TrekBBS will know about it before anyone else on the planet. ;)