I hope for more traditional space battles

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Infern0, Feb 4, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the one corner we have Gul Dukat, the best developed and acted villain in all of Star Trek. In the other we have... Nero.

:lol:

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

In one corner we have seven seasons worth of character development...in the other we have a two hour movie.

Worthy of comparison? YOU DECIDE!

3. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I'd say your five least favorite things are:

5. Lawrence Miles
    4. Yourself
    3. RTD
    2. Generations
    1. Nero

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 was a pretentious bore most of the time, which probably had something to do with its continually declining ratings for seven years; it was the first Trek series to exhibit that pattern.

[​IMG]

5. DalekJim

Lawrence Miles wrote at least 3 good Doctor Who books so I wouldn't lump him in there. Replace him with George Takei. I fucking hate George Takei.

If you think Star Trek should be as cookie cutter simplistic as possible, it stands to reason you'd hate DS9.

6. Nagisa Furukawa

Oh my!

DS9 is a quality series. Going through it for the first time and it's a show that definitely holds up. Although it may not be The Wire or Breaking Bad in terms of having an arc and an ongoing story, or even Babylon 5, but it does have a couple of them, and some good ones at that, and allow me to sit through it on a marathon in a way I could never do with Voyager, where it's just standalone after standalone.

7. DalekJim

Voyager is hard to marathon but the final 2 seasons of ENT are pretty good to fly through, even if the finale is terrible. There was some great improvement going on in the final days of TV Trek.

8. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Okay.... let's just agree you prefer a spin off TV series that almost killed the Star Trek franchise over a reboot movie that has single handledly saved it.

Basically you have no rational reasoning behind defending bland battle scenes over what works in today's audience, other than your mid 1990's TV sentimental bias.

9. anh165

You are full of hate, that is why you have no content to back your arguements.

10. DalekJim

And I'm proud to :). Some of us can think for ourselves without looking over our shoulders and seeing which the general public prefer. Nobody is going to convince me that Orci and Kurtzman are better writers than the DS9 team.

Uh, OK. No... wait.... sorry? This doesn't make any sense.

11. Nagisa Furukawa

LMAO, I'm watching DS9 for the first time in 2013, started on New Year's Day. No bias to it, dude.

12. DalekJim

You give me hope for humanity.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you not read "opening battle?"

Maybe go back to school.

14. Nagisa Furukawa

I'm so sorry about how low your standards have gotten.

15. DalekJim

Your posts contain more substance than drooling all over JJ Abrams and declaring every piece of Star Trek before his movie shit, so you win by default.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you not read "show-stopping action on the ship exterior later on in the film that stands out more?"

Old saying - "don't spit in the wind, it'll hit you in the face."

So far the pro-oldTrek battle contingent isn't showing much. It's a moot point anyway - Trek has been brought into the 21st century now, and it's not going backward.

17. anh165

You keep pretending it is 1995, I will enjoy forgetting that era and look forward to Star Trek being exciting again.
    :beer:

18. DalekJim

It's an era that continues in Trek literature, hopefully for a long time to come.

19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Ooooh Goodie! Another "Abrams Sucks!" thread. :evil:

I am a fan of Prime TOS live action and animated tv; Firefly, BSG, DS9 annnnndddd Bad Robot Trek.

I want to be in on the action. Shaky cam and lensflares. Nemesis tanked. I want live action Trek to continue. We cannot keep Trek to ourselves if we want it to thrive. We must give it to the masses.

Prime prose, comics, live action and animation live on. We can have our cake and eat it too.

I am a fan of the "Balance of Terror" deflector shields. I jumped for joy when I played the Starfleet Command, Encounters, Tactical Assault, Nexus The Jupiter Incident and Online games.

But. . . .

No deflector shield flares takes us back to basics. :techman:

Did I forget anything?

I watch Bad Robot Film #1 once a week in surround sound, Blu Ray and Sony 3D. I have no problem following the space battles. I don't need John Maddon telling me what's going on.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

If that needs to be explained to you, within the context of the scene, then you need to pay more attention, cause there is no reason anyone should have trouble following exactly whats going on in that sequence. It's my favorite of the film, that shot is absolutely exquisite, especially when see on blu-ray so one can see all the detail.

More Trek 09 battles for me thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013