Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Michael, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Diddle

Diddle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know, I suppose it's the anticipation, you know. The first couple of times I watched it in the theater I was all "Awesome!" by the third time I was just "meh, whatever". The fact that almost everyone was excited about the movie made it great the first time seeing all those characters you always knew and etc it was great, then after a while it just became another movie with pretty people, CGI and gunfire. (Not saying that I hate the movie, just...whatever, you know.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I was part of the minority of unpopular opinion from the beginning. But I suspect that over time that minority will get larger. I wouldn't go so far as to say it will become a majority, but time will tell.

3. Teiwaz

Teiwaz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ah, I think I understand the problem. You have to 'up' the dose of whatever medication you're taking just before you go into the cinema.

Dr. Teiwaz

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't heard of any shift in popular opinion. I still like the movie as much as I did when I first saw it, despite the glaring non-sensical plot holes.

5. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OK, I've another one: I really enjoyed DS9 The Emperor's New Cloak. Yes, yes, I can see all the problems with it, but it's so ridiculous and over the top that I can't help liking it. I definitely preferred it to Shattered Mirror and Resurrection.

6. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I might agree with that if the first 3 seasons of DS9 sucked. But they don't. Season 1 is very weak but has a few great, must-see episodes. Season 2 and 3 are good but inconsistent, with a bunch of amazing episodes, some good ones and some bad ones. Telling someone to skip them all just because of the bad episodes doesn't make sense to me.

If someone is having trouble of getting into DS9 and thinks of quitting, I'd recommend them to watch a selection of episodes from season 1 and season 2 (probably 4-5 from season 1 and 15-16 from season 2), then if they didn't get into it yet, season 3 without the bad episodes. There's no way I'd tell them to start watching DS9 from the middle, skipping episodes like Emissary, Duet, In the Hands of the Prophets, Necessary Evil, The Maquis, The Wire, The Jem'Hadar/The Search, Second Skin, The House of Quark, Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast, etc.

7. USS Renegade

USS Renegade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^^^

I'm speaking from the experience of being one of those people, and it wouldn't have worked well for me. My opinion on the show changed, in fact I think it is the best of all the Trek series, but when I first started watching the early episodes. Bleh. Just wasn't gripping me. It's not like I didn't enjoy them after I had gotten into the show later on down the line. I also don't feel like I missed out on anything by starting in the middle, since starting in the middle was the only way to get me interested enough to watch it from the beginning.

And again, I was already a Star Trek fan and had been since I was a little kid. I still remember how seeing the refit Enterprise unveiled on the big screen in TMP took my breath away. I'm not saying the beginning of DS9 is bad, just slow. It didn't make me want to watch more. There are others like me. To me, early DS9 is great, but it is a great backstory, not a great start.

8. otherjr

otherjr Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont think 'In the Pale Moonlight' was a very impressive show, id give it like three stars. I dont think it goes against Roddenberrys message, I just dont think it was particularly outstanding.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I have a couple more:

*I think The Inner Light is boring...

*I don't mind Season 1 and 2 of TNG....

*Star Trek fans are like fans of any other franchise...

*Best of Both Worlds wasn't all that. (If Picard did die, then we've might have had something).

*The Lakers aren't all that....(Although, I did initially get into basketball years ago noticing the Laker Girls, but...)

10. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Modern Trek cannot survive on "Roddenberry's vision" of peace and happiness. People do not want to watch characters who don't have any flaws, they want drama and heroes that are fallible.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But Deep Space Nine deviated pretty far from that vision and is really no more fondly remembered than TNG, Voy or Ent.

12. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

DS9 is my favorite TREK show, of the modern age. But its ratings slid the moment it came on the air.

The 1960s had Viet Nam, the cold war, civil rights, politcal assasinations...and yet a show about a 'happy' future for Earth, while not a hit at the time, went on to define the TREk franchise as more and more discovered it in re-runs. I am one who believes it was the positive view of the future, which is rare in scifi, is why it attracted such a large following.

Rob

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fallible, maybe. Weak, no.

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

People will watch ANYTHING as long as its written well. I think, in this day and age of terrorism and economic downturns, a movie/Tv show that featured characters of strong ethical/moral values, and was well written, would be a beacon for viewers. I contend, and always will, that nuBSG didn't get big ratings because it was too dark and its characters were to gray, and Caprica is falling into the same trap.

Rob

15. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Characters can be have strong ethical/moral values, but characters should be allowed to fail, to make the wrong decisions and have those decisions affect them, much like Colonel Young in SGU.

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet people watch Lost, which killed many more of its main characters than BSG did, turned some of them evil (so to speak), everyone has done bad things, everyone is screwed up and everyone makes big mistakes, and the characters are even more gray than on BSG/at least as gray as on Caprica.

17. Nebula Class

Nebula Class Ensign Newbie

Here's one! Star Trek '09 is the GREATEST Star Trek movie EVER!!:eek: Let the flames begin! (Sorry if someone posted this already!);)

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Here are some opinions that might get me in trouble. I loved the DS9 episode where some survivors of a runabout crash lived like the Baku (or Nav'i with blue paint--uh-oh, I think Cameron was watching Insurrection). Here they were in harmony with nature (ecology big with STIV). Yet the other side of the story was given.

Technophobia was rightly lambasted--and as the heros beamed away we saw two children--living as green as could be--wearing rags, barefoot--and a very bleak existance. Man Trap was similar. The doctor wanted to save this lifeform (it could have been cloned) and it didn't matter how many people had to die in its wake.

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I love Paradise! :)

20. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too.