What's up with Bakula autogrpah pricing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by EEE, Aug 16, 2008.

1. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

I'm not an autograph hound, so pardon a probably well known answer, but I noticed that while most stars' autographs at the Vegas convention, ran from $15-$60'ish. Scott Bakula's autographs were priced at $149.

Is he that hard up for money?

At first I thought he just might hate doing them and was trying to discourage them, but then why didn't he just limit the number more?

Is he wishing he'd never done any Star Trek right now?

Alot of assumptions are possible here... too many for me to even hazard a true guess.

2. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

And what exactly is an "autogrpah" as typed in the thread title? *sigh*

3. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

I think Creation has something to do with that.
    They don't think Bakula will do too many conventions so they charge alot of money autographs and photo ops with him.
    Bakula, on the other hand, was cool enough to personalize autographs.
    Well, he personalized mine anyways.

4. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I understood, Creation takes half of the fee. Even if they don't take that much, they still get a cut. Since Bakula barely does conventions, they jacked up the price. Sucks.

5. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Is personalizing an autograph unusual then?

(I have one personally obtained autograph and that is from the convention! ...I got Grace Lee Whitney's, as I wanted to read her book anyway. She asked for my name for personalizing. So I have no idea on what the ettiquette of personalizing autographs is.)

6. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

That implies they jacked up the price to cover higher costs for Bakula being there... which leads back to the intent of the original question, but on a larger scale.

7. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Getting personalized autographs from the stars who appear on the main stage is unusal. Yet, I got mine personalized from both Bakula and Michelle Forbes this year.
    They're not supposed to do that so they can keep the line moving.

8. angie

angie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Creation usually charges what the market can bear---the guests are guarteed a dollar amountand if people don't buy the tickets they sign pictures that are sold. It can be a weird security situation as well for some of the bigger names. Nimoy limits the people in the photos and number of tickets etc. It is not the actor who determines the fee per se.

9. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

why anybody would pay money for an actor's signature is beyond me.

10. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

From what I read the fee they charge for autographs and photo-ops is based on the appearance fee charged by the actor. I assume he gets more for an appearance.

11. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Anyone know what his autograph will be going for at the QL con in March?

I was pleased to see he threw his weight around and made Creation accommodate personalized autographs. :) If I didn't want to pay it, I wouldn't have.

12. chrisis1033

chrisis1033 Captain Captain

His autograph has always been more expensive. The last time he was there is was $149.00 as well.

That was two years ago if memory serves. There were many concerned comments at that time about the high price.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I'll say this: He packed us in during his forum, his autographs and his photo ops!

14. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a lot of concerned comments this year about the high price. A lot of people weren't happy about it when you consider the cost of the photo op as well.

I know there seemed a lot more people for his phot op than his autograph. But then again the photo op queues were hughe for everyone, Jolene, Connor, Janeway, Worf and especially Nimoy.

15. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Photo op lines seemed longer because everyone got in line at once. I'd say about 10 times the people got autographs.

16. angie

angie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

QL will be different I am sure--the events he does that are smaller also don't have security and as big of audiences all of which are more expensive to operate. The Farscape cast also refused to follow Creation's no personalizing rule. It is great --- though Creation does put the don't make your reservations to fly home so early<G>.

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: What's up with Bakula autograph pricing?

It's down to Scott's rare attendance at conventions. Plus there's some mercenary types who'd turn a tidy profit if he gave it away. I recall Shatner speaking in a documentary (Mind Meld, I think?) about his concerns, particularly those who ask him for one during his free time.

18. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Angie and I have been to an event where he signed -- for about two and a half hours, after a benefit concert -- for free. So, I don't really think he's demanding that price. More over, seeing as he's about to be in a big movie with Matt Damon as one of the leading actors and has been in various guest spots on television all last year, I'm thinking he's not "hard up." On the contrary, he seems to have pushed through what weighs down some of our favorite sci-fi actors.

I think Angie's comments about charging what the market can bear are right on.
    * Scott packs a convention hall and has long lines (despite the cost)
    * Scott rarely does Trek conventions (or any conventions)
    * Scott is a movie and television personality bigger than the other Enterprise actors and many of the Star Trek actors
    * And to Angie's point, people will pay that much

I went to the 40th anniversary convention and though Archer is my second favorite character didn't pay the charge or line up. If you're insulted by the price, do what the market urges you do to: don't line up.

That said, I'm glad Scott manages to do Trek conventions. Considering he does so few, it's pretty exciting. I hope he continues. He's a great speaker, seems like a nice guy and his vitality shows through when he's speaking. Having attended the 40th, I would put Leonard as my favorite speaker (especially when it was him and Shatner together), but Scott was right after them. He blew many others of my favorites out of the water.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Re: What's up with Bakula autograph pricing?

$149 seems very excessive, I regularly attend the Collectormania events in Milton Keynes in Britain, which are essentially free-entry autograph events, and they've had people up to William Shatner in popularity and name recognition and I've never seen anyone charge that kind of price for an autograph.

20. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Easily solved: don't pay it.