7X11 The Crimson Horror(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 4, 2013.

?

Grsde "The Crimson Horror"

Poll closed Jun 13, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

52 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. Good

40 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. …You just cannot see it

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Hell, there's an episode where they build an advanced supercomputer in, at best, the 1980s that runs on human brainpower that created poisonous alien maggots without any future technology or alien intervention.

Here, you can at least argue that Mr. Sweet had some influence in having her develop this thing.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Besides, there's no sign that it's got any of the complex stuff... all it does is launch, go straight up, and explode. No need for guidance systems, liquid fuel engines, any of that stuff. Just a big firework (aka, a solid fuel rocket). A bit of a stretch for 1893, but not an impossible one.

3. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

Indeed. As soon as the scene began where Amy and the Doctor were in her bedroom at the end, I immediately predicted (correctly) what was going to happen. I'm normally a very prudish person who doesn't go for such raw displays of, um, "affection", on television, but in this particular case, it was totally appropriate in the context of the story and a very realistic way for Amy to behave in that situation.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm the same way actually, and remember feeling a bit shocked by that scene (although if I recall, part of that was "Oh shit, not another companion in love with the Doctor!"). But you know, in the end she really did love Rory, so all is forgiven.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode -- it's always a joy to see the Vastra gang again -- but I'm a bit dissatisfied with the character of Clara. I love watching Coleman, but something's off about Clara -- I can't get a solid sense of what she really wants out of the Doctor, and that makes it harder to buy the idea that she'd be willing to run away with this strange man in a snog box.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was one of the better episodes of the season, but my complaint about last week's episode is the same complaint here. We're no closer to finding out who/what Clara really is than we were after Asylum of the Daleks or The Snowman. We just know it's "complicated". Here's an episode where we have the entire gang back together and it does seem like Clara forgot about the revelations from last week, and no one even mentioned it.

As for this episode, I love Vastra, Jenny, and Strax. I'm glad they are featured time and again. This was a fun episode and reminded me of fun episodes from throughout the series. I just wish this "arc" would be addressed other than "It's complicated".

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Doctor did say she'd forget at the end of JttCotT. I thought it was worth noting the way she touched the Doctor's face when she was dethawed. It was reminiscent the way he'd touched her face last week. I am hoping this little experience has jarred something, and perhaps a little more will be from the Victorian picture the kids found, or at least bring up a question or two. Something to wonder about was Jenna's comment here
    All I can say is that Clara hasn’t just met the Doctor three times before
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/doctorwhosevenbtwo/jenna-louise-coleman2.html

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Which ties into the alleged plot for the finale that was leaked/made-up a few weeks ago.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Indeed -- Congreve and improved Hale design rockets of up to 60 lbs weight were used from early in the Victorian era. Scaling up shouldn't have presented much of a problem if all it had to do was go up and explode. Probably no telemetry or ground-based guidance of course, although Hertz had already demonstrated the potential of radio waves by 1895. I think I spotted what might have been intended to represent a difference engine lurking behind the organ.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Phoo Action and I still think it's shame that never got the full series. The other series in there could have been very interesting too, and interestingly it looks like one of them was reworked in to being "Hit and Miss" on Sky Atlantic which was a good show. Oh that isn't the last time they did a pilot season, they did one for comedy shows, which led to How Not To Live Your Life and Him and Her, I think, both very popular shows.

11. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Did anyone else watch this and think "Moonraker"? (Or am I the only one old enough?)

12. Bob The Skutter

I don't remember Moonraker being set in Victorian Yorkshire.

13. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

It wasn't. Nor did it feature scarlet alien leeches. ;) But it did have a sociopath creating a group of 'perfect' people to repopulate the earth after dropping poison on it from a great height. And a damned near identical "rocket launch" scene with the good guys in the launch bay when the rocket goes up.

14. Bob The Skutter

Pah! That's nothing like this episode.

15. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Bob The Skutter

I thought they were just working off the ideas like Bourneville and Garden Village and the like, lots of philanthropic business owners created villages for their workers with decent living standards near their factories.

17. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Horrible episode! I don't want to say that but it was bad. I can't stand most Victorian times stories and besides that the story was bad. I tune into Who remembering some ripping stories, can't always win, much like Trek. I hold in my heart hope for the next time, as always. I'll always be back for more! This Doctor has even grown on me despite me not wanting him to in the begining.

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what Owen did in New Lanark, healthcare, education, entertainment all in the village for the workers and families.

New Harmony was to be a utopia peopled by recruits.

Madness of course but interesting.

19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That line about the "wrong hands" may be the best thing about this episode.

20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^It definitely was. :lol:

The discussion in Slate's Who blog noted that there was quite a bit of regional humor in this episode, playing off the typical Londoner's sterotypes of the North, and wondered how much of that was lost on the US audience. [A parallel to the North/South tensions in US culture is obvious] I'd be curious about our UK members' opinion about the effectiveness of the regional bits...