Why no Maquis flashbacks?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Why is it that in the entire history of Voyager, we never once had a flashback to any Maquis operations?

The only reference to anything any character did during their time in the Maquis I can think of is Torres in Dreadnought. But no flashbacks to exchanging fire with a Cardassian ship, or hiding from Federation search parties, or the Cardassian attacks on the Maquis colony.

You can pretty much watch all of Voyager and if you hadn't seen DS9, not know anything about the Maquis except that they were Federation citizens who rebelled.

It seems the writers all seized on one thing about every character and made every episode about that one thing. Every Tuvok episode is about him learning how to control his emotions, or losing his ability to. Every Doctor episode is about being a hologram, every Seven episode is about having been a Borg.

Why does it seem DS9 stole all the good TNG writers and Voyager only got Braga + the leftovers?

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

In a way, they really tried not to do much in the way of flashbacks for either the Starfleeters or the Maquis... but there were some.

Season 2's Dreadnought, as you point out, (One of my favs) is a whole episode based on a maquis mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlc9ItZdoaQ

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlc9ItZdoaQ[/yt]

We also hear more about the Maquis's prehistory during the whole Jonas spy/Seska traitor arc in season 2.

Voyager conspiracy in season 4 talks about Seven's interpretation of the initial Maquis foray into the Delta Quadrant.

Extreme Risk in season 5 talks about B'Elanna's depression over the deaths of her Maquis friends.

Season 7's "Repression" at least gives us Tuvok's Maquis flashbacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOw8Fke8ScM

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOw8Fke8ScM[/yt]

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Trek ever do flashbacks?? The only one I can remember is the beginning of Emissary with Sisko losing his wife.

4. JirinPanthosa

Trek does literal flashbacks. You literally go back in time, or hallucinate being back in time. DS9 showed several glimpses of the Cardassian occupation, though they didn't actually show Kira participate in terrorist attacks, they referred to several specific incidences.

But, Tuvok had a flashback to the time he got that zen master logic help. Seven had a flashback to when she was a child and got assimilated. Kes went back in time to her Ocampan days. It's like after the first episode they wanted to play down the fact that Chakotay and B'elana ever did unlikable things. Only, those unlikable things are the only things that could have made them interesting.

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

One would realize those Maquis were on Voyager longer than they were fighting for the Maquis. After a while, I'd imagine that it was just a brief chapter in their lives. Some of them were doing things like that already, fighting Cardassians, being merchants or something like that.

Many Maquis was in it just to fight, rather than principles like Chakotay

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway never pardoned anyone.

Never had them work off their debt to society or face trial to become vindicated or pay the price.

Admiral Hayes from Life Line assumed she locked them all in their rooms at night.

As soon as they the cross the Border into Federative space, Janeway gets proper relief and the Maquis are deposited onto the nearest penal colony because they are still accountable for all their cirmes.

If the Maquis assume different, they're kidding themselves.

7. JirinPanthosa

This is the Federation we're talking about. They'll forgive anything so long as you're being nice now.

Plus politically Admiral Paris could never explain to the press how he condemned the Maquis but pardoned his own son. Janeway has too many friends in high places not to get her way about the Maquis.

8. Guy Gardener

Tom had a special deal that we saw being made on camera. The last 6 months of his prison term was commuted in exchange for leading Janeway to Chakotay through the badlands... Tom lived up to his side of the deal, so unless kathryn welched, he was good.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not complaining. Revolutionary jargon gets old REAL quick.

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Necessary Evil, DS9.

Straight flashback episode.

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason there were no Maquis flashbacks is because they're the most boring terrorists ever. They're like those guys who petition for a rally to march through the streets and protest something-or-other, but when the day comes for the march they just go "ey, who can be bothered already?". Hence Chakotay. He's no terrorist: he's the kind of guy who'd rather be sitting in Starbucks sipping a Frappuccino.

Eddington is literally the only guy among the whole lot of them who actually had the balls to go the extra mile, and even then it's only because he's a fucking nut-job psycho. He'd have to have been the kind of man who picked the wings off flies as a kid.

12. Guy Gardener

I remember Kira telling Tom Riker how smalls his balls were.

That was funny.

13. Lance

It's a fact: terrorists are judged by testicle size. And in real-life, too.

14. teacake

Time to pull the pin.

15. Guy Gardener

Bender: Claire? Want to see a picture of a guy with elephantiasis of the nuts? It's pretty tasty.
    Claire: No, thank you.
    Bender: How do you think he rides a bike? Oh, Claire? Would you consider dating a guy like this?
    Claire: Can't you just leave me alone?
    Bender: I mean, if he had a great personality was a good dancer and had a cool car? Although, you'd probably have to ride in the backseat because his nuts would ride shotgun.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

UPN wasn't a big fan of Maquis storylines which is why there was little Maquis/Starfleet conflict among Voyager's crew. They probably told the producers not to do Maquis themed episodes.

17. Lance

It seems strange the network didn't step in at the pitch meetings in the very beginning. You know, stop the Maquis from being in the series in the first place.

I think even those of us who like Voyager would agree that the Maquis aspect of the series' format was never well serviced. :(

18. teacake

Conflict would have been interesting but you still have the uselessness of the Maquis agenda waaaay off in the Delta quadrant. That wouldn't have mattered if they'd filled the Maquis ranks with people who would never fit in with Starfleet and then had to do something with them, but we didn't get that.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's it, right there. That far out, there is no such thing as Maquis, and it would be pointless to argue otherwise. Chakotay's not stupid, he knows that as well as anyone. And the rest of the Maquis would do what he says. If Chakotay doesn't argue, then none of them do, either.

Lon Suder? He was obviously not Starfleet material, in fact he freely admitted he joined the Maquis only because he likes to kill.

20. Guy Gardener

No, however so accurate, that's what Chakotay or B'Elanna said.

Lon Suder was so completely nonplussed by his murder spree, that one, he thought he could just go back to work and two, he probably forgot about it before the blood dried on his hands.

It's like on Tank Girl when that guard told Tank Girl hand cuffed to the wall that she was going to give him a blow job and if he feels any teeth that he was going to use the bowie knife in his right hand to open her neck up... half a second in she's snapped his neck with her legs and she says "What?! What did I do? What did I do?" Because the other guards were upset and pointing guns at her.

(I just had a laughing fit remembering Ice-T claiming to have been reincarnated from a Cop.)

What Suder actually said was "He looked at me funny."

Which is crazy talk.

Until you remember that Suder is a fricking telepath!

Kathryn's overreaction was born of racist ignorance because she can't understand the difference between someone looking at you funny, and someone's bare naked contemptuous soul looking at you funny.

Suder could have defended himself better (premeld) but he though Janeway was too much of an asshole to waste his breath when he COULD SEE INTO HER MIND WITH TOTAL CLARITY TO KNOW SHE HAD PREJUDICIALLY MADE UP HER STEEL TRAP MIND ABOUT HIM... And there was nothing he could do to sway her.