Roger Ebert is dead...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

it's weird to moan about a eberts 'liberal' politics while having an avatar from a show by david lynch, who votes democrat.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Be a man and bring it to TNZ. Otherwise, stick to the topic and if you can't, shut the hell up.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Might I suggest considering keeping track through letterboxd? The list has been bannered at the top of the main page since Ebert's death was announced.

4. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

:lol: To be fair, Morrisette didn't understand it either. Which ends up being the only thing ironic about her song. All her examples were merely unfortunate ;)

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooh, nice! Thank you!

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, it was a running joke between myself and a couple of friends back in 1995 and 1996 that the Alanis song wasn't actually about irony, just unfortunate timing and bad luck. Jagged Little Pill was a pretty great little album that we all enjoyed, but we couldn't pass up making fun of the video when it played on TV.

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

But that's where the scary liberals live. They may defeat conservative ideals with facts and reality, he can't go there.

I need to start collecting all of Ebert's bad reviews. He could really tear into a movie if he hated it enough. His review of North is just amazing.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is, of course, the real reason for objecting to someone like Ebert writing about politics: his wit and effectiveness. The kind of folks who object generally prefer fixed fights.

10. Awesome Possum

You'd think that after a while if you keep getting easily beaten by smart people you'd at least try to change things a little.

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

He published three collections of his negative reviews: I Hated, Hated, HATED This Movie; Your Movie Sucks; and last year's A Horrible Experience of Unbearable Length. Yeah, they're all up on his website for free, but there's something about having them in print.

12. Awesome Possum

I might have to buy them. I want something to read when society collapses and be reminded of the internet.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes because nobody but me has ever brought up politics outside of TNZ :rommie:

I did not moan about Eberts liberal politics.

I discussed the hypocrisy of some posters who seemed to defend inserting politics in writing when it was a liberal viewpoint but not a conservative viewpoint.

Never in this thread have I attacked either the man or his politics.

The worst thing I said about Ebert on this thread was that hypothetically some people could take issue with some of his positions as strongly as some of the posters here took issue with Orson Scott Card.

Disagree with me if you want. reasonable people can do that, but at least disagree with what I actually wrote.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Regardless, you've dragged the topic away from being a memorial to Ebert in order to pursue some silly agenda. Bravo, good sir. You must be a great guy to have at a funeral.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    He certainly doesn't care about the topic of the thread, so there really is no reason to pay any particular attention to what G-Man writes.

16. cooleddie74

Your zipper's down.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

True. Some douchebags do it in memorial threads.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Might I suggest focusing on what you (the general you) would like this thread to be rather than continuing to discuss what it appears some posters might like it to become?

Put another way...dwelling on the subject won't make it recede into the distance any faster.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMZjy8rXE4[/yt]

20. cooleddie74

Wait. I've got it.

G-man is actually paying tribute to Roger by offering us his own written-post version of Plan 9 From Outer Space.