Windows Vista Problems WITH Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Nov 25, 2007.

1. TheColonel

TheColonel Cadet Newbie

Hi, would really like some getting DS9: Harbinger to work in Vista. If someone could help me that would be wonderful.
    The Colonel

2. netrefugee

netrefugee Cadet Newbie

Yeah ... same here .. I installed the service pack, shut down, restarted, and it was like I switched on an entirely different computer...

...I'd never seen a bluescreen of death on Vista until I install that hacked piece of script.

3. scifi_archive

scifi_archive Cadet Newbie

Hi
    many of the games mentioned here i have working on vista but some dont for the most part changing compatability and downloading patches solved my problems and as for the ones that didnt work well i'm glad i keept my win98 comp. any way i'm having some issues with star trek legacy.
    i had legacy installed for a long time and it worked fine i unistalled awile ago and lately i've been trying to install it and exactly half way it just freezes. can anyone help?

4. RRtexasranger

RRtexasranger Ensign Red Shirt

Can't install Bridge Commander on Windows 7 (64 bit). Everytime I run the set up, the "install shield" logo comes up, and then disappears. I see that Setup.exe is still running in the background, but as far as I can see, it isn't doing anything.

5. kwdblade

kwdblade Cadet Newbie

I recently tried to install Bridge Commander and it says that it won't work in my 64 bit, and that the disk is for the 32 bit. Any comments on this?

6. RRtexasranger

RRtexasranger Ensign Red Shirt

I found a way around it, although I don't know how in depth I can be on this forum. Let's just say that there are versions of the game floating around on the internet that skips the installer (conflicts with 64 bit) and lets you just extract everything manually like a portable program.

7. AvalonTrinity

AvalonTrinity Cadet Newbie

I have Away Team and it won't even install... any advice?

8. willearn

willearn Cadet Newbie

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite X205-S9810 Intel "Core"2 Duo Processor T5750, Nvidia "GeForce" 8700M GT with 512MB VRAM, Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried to install Star Trek DS9 The Fallen and everytime it reaches 61 percent, An error message comes on saying something about texture in the game. Then it shuts down the game.

9. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

get windows 7 :D

Star trek armada played for me, dominion wars, bridge commander didn't, also had issues with starfleet academy and few other games. Never had any issues with windows 7, despite this being 64bit system. SOT crashed today for the first time today, but I know exactly what the problem was, ( i had Opera, flash and MSN all opened, CS4 as well (premier) as I was editing small video for the youtube.

Having 5-6 different programs running at the same time is not advisable even thought you might have gaming pc....

Anyways get windows 7 asp, this advice to all, get rid of Vista get windows 7 asp.

10. willearn

willearn Cadet Newbie

I keep trying to install Star Trek DS9 The Fallen, But when it reaches 61 percent complete, an error message says, Component transfer error, Component: textures, File Group: textures, File: E:\Textures\ds9arduria.utx, Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check). Press Ok button. Please help, Willearn.

11. VulpesFidelis

VulpesFidelis Cadet Newbie

I think I may have found a solution (other than VirtualBox) to the >2GB RAM problem with Armada I on Vista/Windows 7. I'm posting it, because it seems like no forum that turns up on Google searches of the Armada RAM issue have this.

-----

While on XP one could use /MAXMEM in boot.ini to set the detected RAM to 2GB, this wasn't there in Vista and 7.

I decided to see if there was an equivalent; Google-fu turned up this page:
    http://jonstechbits.com/2007/03/04/maxmem-support-in-windows-vista/

So, doing this:

bcdedit /set TRUNCATEMEMORY 2139095040

In an (administrative) command prompt, should do the same thing as setting /MAXMEM in XP's boot.ini.

When you're done playing, using this in a command prompt:
    bcdedit /deletevalue TRUNCATEMEMORY

To restore your full RAM amount.

12. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol...
    That certainly works.
    However, it can also work by running the game as an administrator.
    Make sure to have the latest drivers installed for your gpu though.

13. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This isn't a a question but more of a complaint .Windows stopped supporting the DOS system a few years ago.What I don't get is why they don't allow PC users to buy a pc software separately if the person wants ? Unless I missed something .