How Do You Feel About Driving?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by scotpens, Sep 10, 2013.

?

How Do You Feel About Driving?

1. I enjoy driving. For me, driving is a pleasurable activity in its own right.

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. I don't mind driving, but I'd just as soon let someone else drive or use public transportation.

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I generally dislike driving and do so only when no practical alternative transporation is available.

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. I don't drive at all, don't need to, and don't want to.

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

A current thread on the Science and Technology forum veered off into a discussion about the possibilities -- and limitations -- of automated, self-driving cars. Which got me to thinking: How do you people feel about driving?

Maybe it's because I'm a born-and-bred Southern Californian, but I actually like driving. I enjoy slipping behind the wheel and skillfully controlling and maneuvering a vehicle in traffic, or cruising along the 105 Freeway where traffic is usually light.

So, which of the four poll options comes closest to your thoughts on driving in general?

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

driving's fun around here. loads of wiggley roads to drive. well at least it was when i had a vehicle.

i'd probably like it less if i had to do a lot of motorway miles or lived in a big city.

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I don't drive and don't have any intentions to ever learn. I could not afford to buy and run a car. If I can't get somewhere by bus or taxi, train or tram, plane or ferry, or on foot its not worth going to IMO.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I like driving. In the right conditions, it can be a lot of fun.

A panoramic road up the sunny hills, a trip along the coast, or even zipping around in the traffic.

For everyday commutes, I prefer to use public transport, as it's cheaper and less tiring. But for my own leisure time, driving is more enjoyable.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love driving. Sometimes I just get in the car and drive around with no destination in mind.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am car free by choice. I hate driving. When I started learning how to drive I remember the thought that went through my head at the time was, "this activity is everything I'm really really bad at rolled into one". I can drive, but I don't intend to ever live in a place where I need to. I enjoy public transport and it's extensive in my city.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Neither of those options are suitable for me

Sometimes I don't mind driving, other days I do. Now that I'm a driver I prefer to be in control rather than a passanger. And there is no other practical method of transportation where I live. You simply have to drive to get around, Public transport is virtually non-existant and at totally unsuitable times.

So I'll take the fifth option. I have no choice but to drive whether or not I like it.

And I used to be a field employee so did a I lot of driving. Sure a nice warm sunny day with ideal driving conditions in a picturesque setting driving can be highly enjoyable. Stuck crawling along in a traffic jam in awful weather coniditons not so much. Worst weather to drive in is snow , it's been my experaince a fair few people have no idea how to drive in snow.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Public transportation is bad around here, too. We have busses that run during the day, but if you have to get anywhere after 9pm, you're screwed. And they don't run on Sundays at all.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I like driving very much because it provides me with the flexibility i want.

Germany's public transportation is pretty good, especially in cities but my company is located in a commercial district a bit ouf of town so there is only one bus line that drives every 20 minutes or so up until late evening where it's driving even less.

So you miss one of the scheduled stops and you have to wait at least 20 minutes..by car i'm halfway home in 20 minutes.

Maintaining and operating a car costs me more than double what it would cost me to buy a monthly ticket for public transportation but it is well worth the flexibility to be able to come and go according to your timetable and not someone else's.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Never bothered to learn. It holds no interest for me.

I'm 50 now, so not likely to change my mind...

11. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My mother learnt to drive at 72 and my eldest sister, who is 58, only learnt to drive this year. However, my Mum decided to learn after my father became too ill to drive, and my sister got hers after her husband died so they were used to being driven around by someone else.

Like you I have no interest at all and I won't change my mind either.

12. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I don't mind driving, and have to do it a lot, but I prefer to be a passenger. Especially so in the winter months where I would rather be absolutely anywhere but behind the wheel of a car.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If I lived anywhere where mass transit was a viable option, I'd dump my license in a heartbeat. I don't like driving, hate being on the road, and generally feel like the act itself (being behind the wheel) is a waste of time. But living in rural TN, it's a necessary evil.

14. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love driving. I've always lived places where it would be pretty hard to get around well without a car.

From where I live NE Ohio you can take all two lane county back roads to get to my mothers home(columbus). It's a great run. Hilly with long sweepers. Great for the 2-3/3-2 shifts. Keeping her (on the cam). Great fun.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I love driving. I love the control and freedom it gives me. People talk all of the time about subways, buses and other forms of public transportation and I shrug. If the only way I had to get from home to work and back was to plan my day around schedules and to sit next to some woman who smells like burned ocra yell into her phone I'd probably go nuts.

My car is sitting right outside. I can go to it right now and drive to anywhere I want, it's fifty feet away. THAT'S freeing and isn't something I can get from a bus.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And not before 07:00 or 08:00 either I'm guessing.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I don't mind driving. Sometimes, I enjoy it, other times, I don't. I like the freedom of being able to pop out to the shops or a restaurant whenever I feel like it. However, when I have to head into the city, I feel a bit stressed out by the traffic, the reckless drivers, trying to find my way around a place I don't know too well, etc. When I'm driving in the 'burbs or out in the country, I like it. Downtown? Not so much.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I drive because I have to drive. I don't always mind it, but dealing with traffic and moronic drivers just takes away any pleasure that's in it. Our public transportation is by appointment only, and it ranges anywhere from $5 to $15 one way.

19. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I consider many factors as to whether I use a car or not, such as general convenience, distance, tasks to be carried out, excess baggage, weather and current traffic trends, cost of the alternative travel arrangements in terms of money and time, and whether there is going to be a suitable parking space at the end of it all.

That said, I love driving. It's exciting.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I have a dumb question, I've driven my whole adult life so I'm curious how do people without cars buy groceries? I often can't even get the groceries from my car into my house in one trip. How do you do it?