Are Federation politicians immune to sex scandals?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

I am not talking about some samm time mayor on a backward planet. Is there any sexual activity besides rape that could get someone impeached or lessen his/her chances to get elected signficantly?

2. The Emissary

The Emissary Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps sex with a Trek equivalent to Cthulu perhaps? :P

I'm not sure. It really depends on how prudish humans in the 24th century really are. What would make them so disgusted that impeachment was necessary? Or do they simple figure that is a personal thing and what matters is the person's ability to lead the Federation or represent their world on the council or whatever? Anything else is just a private matter between the politician and their partner.

Weren't there a group of prudish people in that oft-hated DS9 episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."? Maybe they would be bothered if a future presidential candidate was not married or if they cheated on their spouse.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in Roddenberry's vision, people were trained by a Love Instructor (Kirk is named after his mother's love instructor), so I'm guessing that it would have to be something pretty outlandish to be classified as a scandal and maybe something that socialyl we don't have - maybe forgetting to thank your host for the excellent oral after the third course of your meal?

4. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Source?

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^GR's Star Trek: TMP novelization. Although I read it as a euphemism, not as some actual future job!

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Odd euphemism when 'lover' or 'Boyfriend' would be sufficient and 'instructor' makes it more clinical sounding.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What goes on between two (or more) consenting sentient adults is no one else's business. I'm sure in the enlightened 24th century the moral sexual activities of a politician would not get him in trouble. Though I'm sure the tabloids would have a field day if it were learned Jaresh-Inyo had a thing for sticking Tribbles or Cardassian voles up his ass or something...

8. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since marriage is still shown to be in existence in the ST universe, I would say that having an affair whilst married would still carry the same issues as it does now, for the same reasons. However, an unmarried politician would probably be able to spend a week on Risa without anyone noticing or caring, wheras now if an unmarried MP, senator etc (depends where you are) were to spend a week in Amsterdam or popping in and out of Nevada brothels, the tabloids would have a field day.

Also, there are considerable variations in prudishness of the various member worlds. Denobulans (I'd assume they became Federation members), Risans and Betazoids seem very open with regard to sexuality, but if for example, a Vulcan politician got caught with his trousers down, that would be a scandal.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I love how this guy has been spamming this board with completely nonsensical thread for weeks now, and nobody realizes it.

10. vulcan redshirt

vulcan redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now you mention it....

11. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To try for a serious answer to a question asked perhaps tongue-in-cheek, I'd like to think that by 3 or 4 hundred years from now society would have evolved to a point where non-coercive sexual behavior would be nobodies business except the parties involved, however these things ebb and flow. Clearly Kirk's time, given his behavior and the "uniforms" of female personnel, is on of a more libertine nature. By the 24th century, who knows. Given that the Federation consists of multiple societies, some are perhaps on the "upswing", others on the "down".

The very existence of a place like Risa, a planet devoted to what might be called "Tourism prostitution" implies, not a more liberal attitude toward sex, but rather a more conservative one as such places only thrive as safety valves for suppressed urges.

Just don't get caught with a naked Bolian.

12. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Feel free to PM me about it. i AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS.

13. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some feds citizens (at least some Starfleet officers) have to take and record a oath of celibacy so it is possible. The Fed Pres in IV is bald, maybe he is deltan.

It's always better to keep one's pants up. Except when it isn't but you know, work ambient and all. Anyways OP did say politicians, some secrewing must be in order.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as people are still having sex, politicians(who are people) will have sex scandals.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In the 24th century, if you're a politician not having illicit sex, it's a scandal.

16. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ain't the whole thread something of a non sequitur? We have no evidence that politicians in the future would be subject to any sort of scrutiny.

I mean, yeah, Kirk calls the Federation a "democratic body" in "Errand of Mercy", but in practice we never hear of any elections apart for that of the UFP President in "Homefront"/"Paradise Lost". In "Rapture", Bajoran representatives to the Federation Council are to be "chosen", not elected; we can't tell whether there's a difference. And we have no idea who elects the President. Citizens? Council Members? A Gathering of Wise Men (Women/Others)?

Even if it were possible to affect the position of a politician with elections, that'd only work if a politician were allowed to serve more than one term to start with. Re-election has never been mentioned in any Trek context.

:p

Timo Saloniemi

17. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

So, rape and that's it.

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean it guarantees re-election?

Interestingly, Spock seemed to approve of rape in "Enemy Within". If Vulcans get a vote, or are as influential otherwise as suggested in many episodes and movies...

Timo Saloniemi

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Holodecks have eliminated the need for sex scandals.

I tend to think 24th century people are very progressive about any sort of consensual sex, so people have basically stopped caring.

@Timo

The Federation is a democratic body, but Starfleet is not.

20. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Holodecks probably help keep sex scandals to a minimum.