MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

At least this movie focused on real estate.

;)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

People always misinterpret that scene. He's not turning the planet around. He's flying faster than light to go back in time. We as the audience get to see that represented as the planet turning in the opposite direction.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Reeve Superman movies pretty much had a Silver Age Superman, who can do whatever he wanted. Some fans might not like that, but that is just the way it is.

5. Greylock Crescent

Thanks for that.

I really loved this quote:

I think that encapsulates what Man of Steel was really trying to convey. And, on the whole, it succeeded. In fact, this is what makes Superman's character compelling. What a perfect way to get at the heart of this interpretation of Superman.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

And then he goes a bit too far and has to go back the other way!

;)

7. Crystalline Entity

Crystalline Entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

Loved it! Just wanted to add two humorous observations:

* When the atmosphere started affecting Clark and he collapsed in front of the general, I immediately thought: Kneel before Zod! :D

* During the fight, Zod (and perhaps others) were tossing Clark around by his cape. Never was The Incredibles Edna Mode's 'No Capes' admonition more prescient! :lol:

8. Greylock Crescent

I actually had the same thought. It was amusing to see Superman's cape being treated as something more than a decoration - as something that could be used against him.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Blame Jor-El since he was the one that gave the suit to Clark, Martha Kent have nothing to do with it in this universe! :p

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Despite what the critics say, I thought the movie did a fantastic job humanizing Superman and making his journey relatable, while at the same time keeping him the inspiring, larger than life icon of the comics. Which is a pretty neat trick to pull off.

And they were also able to humanize him without making him the glum and melancholy figure of SR, which I appreciate as well. I'm a big fan of that movie, but I frankly thought MOS did a much better job at nailing his character and making it work.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well that makes it seem the same amount of stupid as it was before. Why not do that everytime something bad happens, lazy writing/cheap cop out. In the Donner cut of Superman II wasn't this time travel device used again at the end? or it was in the original script, something like that?

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the original ending of II, which is why it's in the Donner Cut, but not the first (1981) release. The decision was made while producing I (both I & II were filmed at the same time for the most part) to put that ending in I.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

From http://cinemademerde.com/Essay-Superman_II.shtml:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Zod being the cliffhanger would have been cool as long as they got rid of the time travel thing entirely. They should have had Lois keep her memory of Clark being Superman too.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Who says they didn't?

I had the very distinct impression from the end of the movie that Lois knew exactly who he was.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got out to see the movie and I agree with this completely. The flashbacks fit nicely with the story, and I didn't see Clark as being overly somber at all. Sure there were many traumatic moments we see from his life, but in his interactions with his mother and Lois as an adult--and with the military--he really comes across as being the Superman personality we have known for years (meaning the Byrne Superman).

I hope we continue to see flashbacks in future movies. I would really like to see how his relationship with Pete develops. We see Pete as the bully, but we also see him regretful, and it would be an interesting dynamic to see them become friends as adults.

BTW--what was supposed to be the ending for the original Donner film if it wasn't time travel? Clark races to Lois' aid and gives her the super kiss of CPR?

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Superman Returns implies that the kiss never worked.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

But then as Trekker mentioned, why did he have to turn around and go back the other direction, returning the Earth to its normal rotation? If he's just traveling back in time and overshot a bit, just wait a few minutes. Or even better, prevent the earthquake in the first place, since (by one theory of time travel) there's now two Supermans - one to stop each nuke - though that might have happened offscreen. But to me, the scene definitely implies that he spun the Earth itself to turn back time.

All the silliness about spinning the Earth aside, I think it's an awesome scene, especially when he cries out in pain over Lois' death and goes all aggro on the space/time continuum in defiance of Jor-El's cloud head (Jor-El should have asked Mufasa's cloud head to help, it's hard to refuse that voice).

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgsnWtBQm0[/yt]

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought having Superman exercise the truly God-like power of turning back time, as he did in the 1978 film, was a beautiful and brilliant choice. It was the climax of many themes.

• Jor-El's view of sending him to Earth to light the way,
    • His being forbidden by Jor-El to interfere in human history,
    • Pa's view his being here for a reason,
    • His question to Pa of whether it was wrong for a bird to fly because it has wings,
    • His anguish at being unable to save Pa, despite having all his powers,
    • His love for Lois.
    Ultimately, it was Superman balancing all that and coming into his own as a being of almost limitless power.

"Temporal inertia?" ;)

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Like I said in a previous post.. I don't think he was literally using his speed to rotate the earth in the other direction to change time. I think that the Kryptonians, as portrayed in the film, have some control over time, to a limited degree. It is their most awesome power and Jor-El didn't want him to use it