Spoilers VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 20, 2012.

?

Rate The Eternal Tide.

1. Outstanding

85 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Above Average

56 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

That's an interesting idea. This is what I really like about Voyager's journey back through the Delta Quadrant with the fleet. With the Borg (presumably) gone, the Quadrant has changed, and though the species that we saw during the show's run are still there, so many of the dynamics have changed, and I feel like that gives Voyager many new things to explore.

I'd really like for Voyager reach Ocampa and see what Kes has done for her people, as well as encounter Kes again. I'm really curious to know how she was able to ward off the Kazon in the area, especially the Kazon Ogla that were residing on the surface of Ocampa in "Caretaker".

It is fascinating, isn't it? I took a class once where we talked about this exact same topic, and whether or not our universe was expanding, contracting, or had the right balance of matter/dark matter to remain in equilibrium. Turns out that we are in an expanding universe. Though, what I really find fascinating is that our universe (to our current knowledge) is infinite; it has no finite boundaries that we have perceived. We can only see so far out into the universe, but there is more beyond that. I wonder if there is an end to the universe, but if there is, then what is beyond that? Is there anything beyond that? Can there be anything beyond that?

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Indeed. I could think of a dozen locations and peoples worth for a revisit, either for strategic reasons or out of curiosity. Places of Exile has shown us it is possible to set up a Federation in the Delta Quadrant among friendly people. The Talaxians seem to be perfect Federation allies (once their planet is retaken, that is).

How are the post-Phage Vidiians? Have the Vaadwaur engaged the Devore to reclaim their world(s)? The fallout of Gegen's theories among the Voth? Seska's child, the 37's, etc.

The Delta Quadrant offers so many story opportunities - and I haven't even mentioned completely unexplored regions (as seen in CotS). When's gonna be the next Voyager novel? :bolian:

3. craig keith

craig keith Lieutenant Red Shirt

As long as they dont encounter the kazons though!! they were just crap

4. Violet.Phoenix

You have made me think of a good half-dozen Voyager stories that could be told from all of those. And I know that I would love to see the Vaadwaur or the Devore again. :D

And what about the Krenim Imperium? We saw at the end of "Year of Hell" that Annorax was again working on the simulations for time manipulation. Imagine what kind of novel that could create!

If they run into the Kazon, Janeway should be armed with a pair of over-sized scissors in order to chop off those hideous hairdos of theirs.:p

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But he walked away from those calculations to spend more time with his family. Some interpret that to mean this is how history was changed to prevent the timeship from ever existing -- that Annorax decided to walk away and never finished inventing it. So that's the end of the story, not the beginning of another one. (And really, what kind of novel could it create if he'd just reiterated what he did the first time around? We've already seen that story.)

6. Violet.Phoenix

Very true. I was just offering it as some speculation for a possible story, but as you said, it sounds like that door has been closed.

7. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Just one quick spoiler question.

Is Janeway alive?

8. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

This sums up most of my thoughts as well. I just finished reading the book last night (which says a lot right there since I had pre-ordered it on my nook and began reading it the day it downloaded.) I really only started to get into the book when Dasht, Bal Itak, Varkas, and Chen went to check out the anomaly. (I hope we haven't seen the last of them. Anything is possible.)

Looking back, I think one reason it took me so long to get engaged in the story was because right when I'd start to get involved in a story line, the book jumped to a different story line and I'd have to realign my thoughts.

I think another reason was because I have difficulty reading Q stories when there is more than one Q involved. Since the book started out with Q, and Q, and Q...

But, in the end, I teared up when Junior and his parents parted.

I had no opinion one way of the other on bringing back Janeway. If she was going to do it, I had faith in Kirsten's ability to do it in a meaningful way, and she delivered. However, I'm glad Janeway's return wasn't the main focus of the book. I think we're going to have some interesting Janeway-Cambridge scenes in the future.

I rated the book Above Average. I think Kirsten has a wonderful grasp of the Voyager characters and has added some intriguing, multi-faceted new characters since she took over.

I can't wait to read her next installment.

I wonder, with Vanguard gone, could that possibly give another spot to Voyager in the publishing schedule? I'd love to see Christopher's take on the Delta Quadrant now. His "Places of Exile" was my favorite Myriad Universes story.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wonderful idea! Christopher is excellent at world-building, sense of wonder and characters, Imho. Plus, he strives to make the fictional concepts as scientifically accurate as possible and weaving it into the plot. This is not meant to say that Kirsten isn't excellent, but it could increase the outpot to more than one novel a year.

Isn't it awesome to have two novel series delving into the unknown and being on the exploration course again (thinking of Titan and Voyager)? It balances quiet nicely with the politically oriented series. DS9, with its access to the Gamma Quadrant, could be the middle ground between the two parts of TrekLit.

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished, and have some comments in no weighted order?
    Logically 3 ships will not affect significantly what is transpiring in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, and might be more useful where they are.
    I may be in the vast minority, but having a lover or partner where one is superior to the other in the chain of command is a bad idea.
    I wonder if this story will be used as in the comics industry to reset or change certain historical details that could not ordinarily be done easily.

11. craig keith

While i agree that christopher is one of the best trek authors - i really think voyager should be left to kirsten for as long as she wants it. She writes the characters better then some episodes. Its her sandbox .. let her play in it

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

With the amount of threads tied up (rather quickly) in this one, I wouldn't be 100% certain of getting another Voyager from Kirsten...

:(

13. craig keith

I disagree, i think while a lot of things were tied up .. more things were left ..... While the ships were destroyed, the crews that were trapped are most likely still alive, How or why is kes still alive, will more ships be sent from the delta quadrant? Will Janeway be allowed the position as fleet commander.

Unless she doesnt want to do another one i really think it would be a mistake to ask someone else to take over.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh sure, the more she does the better in my book. I could see her alternating with other writers though.

15. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that Christopher "take over." I love what Kirsten has written. But I do think he would add something interesting and unique to the already rich tapestry that Voyager has become.

Not to mention, we might get a Voyager novel more often.

...and some people like having friends in their sandboxes!

16. craig keith

Indeed - if gene didnt we wouldnt be discussing this now - but there are soo many other things that could be written about atm ... i would be happy with one voyager book and one original story / series to replace Vanguard

17. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good book. Worthless complaints:

Ugh... Seven and Cambridge... yuck. God, Cambridge is the worst character. I can't believe I would ever prefer Chakotay as a mate for Seven over anyone.

Also, when did Seven go back to wearing the stupid catsuits?

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you read The Buried Age by Christopher? The first time I ever saw a writer correctly write Janeway, down to her body language. I mean, the guy could write her body language!!!

19. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Just fyi, I also recommend The Buried Age. Was one of the few Trek books I've read all the way through during the past five or so years. Got it mostly since I heard younger Janeway was in it, tho was also intrigued w/ the Picard story, and quite enjoyed it for Jean-Luc's experiences, and the KJ part was a plus. (But made me wish for more "young Janeway in Starfleet" stories*, lol.) *Besides Mosaic of course, but that book did skim a number of years.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  20. Clem1029

Clem1029 Ensign Red Shirt

Lots of thoughts about this time out that I'm still processing, but one larger question did come to mind while reading this...was there a particular motivation to do this now? I mean, was this along the lines of TPTB saying "alright, Janeway needs to come back, give us the best possible story," or was it Kirsten's pitch of "I'm bringing Janeway back, end of discussion."?