The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Newest lineup of Generations toys, which lines up perfectly with the leaked toylist from awhile back.

Crosscut or rather Senator Crosscut. A rather obscure remold of Skids and more recently a character from the TF Comics. The toy along with Rattrap, Tankorr, Windblade, Starscream and the Minicons will have one of the issues of the Dark Cybertron crossover bundled along with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jetfire, a more accurate and leader sized Jetfire. This puts to shame classics Jetfire. I foresee quite a few collectors dumping their old one on ebay for the new version. There is definitely influences from the Valkyries of Macross (that the toy came from) as well as the original G1 Skyfire. Hopefully the helmet comes off like the Dreamwave and IDW Jetfire. Note the actual fighter cockpit and nose are in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roadbuster, a Voyager sized TF and part of the Wreckers like Whirl. Both of them originated the Dorvack toyline. Really not feeling it from this mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windblade, the fan designed female transformer who is also getting her own comic. She looks better than I expected and fills the niche of the female autobot flyer in everyone's collection. However the toy shown here looks mistranformed. She is a potential generations remold for Slipstream, the only female Seeker from Animated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jhiaxus, this version is based on the IDW version and a retool of the Generations Armada Starscream. The Deco is reminiscent of the only extant Jhiaxus toy that was recolored from the Beast Machines Jetstorm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RiD Skybyte, but based on the version seen in IDW. Really not doing it for me.

[​IMG]

Rattrap. Probably one of the stars that everyone has been looked forward to. Note the arms have the sticky bombs from the show.

[​IMG]

Tankor from Beast Machines. Ironically he is dwarfed by Rattrap since the Beast Machines version is suppose to be a giant and probably would be better represented by a voyager.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit

Generations Legends Gears. A retool of Swerve like everyone predicted. But the headsculpt really can't compare to the IDW inspired head that Hasbro gave to Swerve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The new Mission Series 2-packs of figures will be switching over to the new Rebels-themed packaging template later this year. Here's the Emperor/Yoda set, though this isn't the final product as indicated by the lame way the two figures are twist-tied to the inside of the blister bubble and there's no clear plastic tray to hold them.

This is essentially a cheaper version of the popular VC12 Darth Sidious figure from The Vintage Collection, only with a minimal five joints of tooling and no soft goods.

[​IMG]

3. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. They are horrible... and not in a fun-horrible either. And the really embarrassing thing is they are trying to market this crap to me and my generation. If I wanted crap action figures I would have just held onto my knock-off Boltron figures I got at the junk store when I was eight. At this point nostalgia is about as interesting to me as the pair of reading glasses the optometrist was trying to make me get last month. I am forty not stupid. Give me life-like sculpts with thirty points of articulation at a decent price or give me death.

And has anyone seen the new Jabba? Looks like the 2010 sculpt with a better paint job. Nice though. And the 6-inch Black series Vader gave me collector-wood. Wow.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. cooleddie74

Absolutely! That's one of the stars of the new six-inch line for sure. If they were going to do a 6" Darth Vader in the line then I'm glad they went with a removable helmet so we can see Anakin's face underneath. At this larger scale the detail on his head should be very impressive and pretty film-accurate.

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

While I am tempted to get Pulp Fiction toys that look like the we're designed for preschoolers, all of the Reaction stuff is just terribly disappointing. Toy sculptors back in the 70s didn't sculpt to make their work look like shit, they sculpted to make their work simple enough to come out of a certain kind of mold.

7. cooleddie74

The mystery of the unidentified astromech droid in the Black Series 3.75" display has been solved:

it's R5-G19 from the Rebel fleet briefing in Jedi, inside the briefing room near Admiral Ackbar and Mon Mothma.

[​IMG]

Nice.

8. Admiral_Young

I will point out again (I'm as disappointed as you guys are) that all the ReAction figures from BTTF, Buffy, and Firefly are awaiting final licencing approval, that is perhaps why they have no likenessnesses. The other figures that have been revealed that they've done have looked pretty good. I am hoping that these are just sample prototypes that they put together to give us at least something to look at. Otherwise I'm right there with you guys that these are utter shite.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vader, Luke and Chewie look pretty awesome. i'll buy em...if i can find em.

10. cooleddie74

That 6" Black Series Jabba looks incredible. Almost Sideshow Collectibles-quality detailing on this thing.

Which means two things:

1. It'll be hard to find for a good long while.
    2. It'll probably be at least $40 to buy.

If a regular humanoid character runs $19.99 on average you just know a similarly-scaled Jabba isn't gonna come dirt cheap.

11. AstroSmurf

Wait. That's a 6-inch Jabba? Holy shit. :eek:

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I didn't realize the "black helmet guy" from ROTJ actually had a name and rank. :rommie: ;)

Jetfire looks pretty sweet, and I'm glad since I've been kicking myself for not buying the Classics/Generations version of the mold. :p I knew they were coming out with an updated Whirl figure (which I'm looking forward to), and I think Roadbuster looks nice too.

13. cooleddie74

When the original SW films were made most background aliens and other humanoids didn't have formal names, but fans and licensees producing SW product gave them names as the years passed. Doallyn was probably just given a random number or background designation when the extra was on-set in costume. The official character name probably didn't come about until books or gaming/trading cards were released years later.

14. cooleddie74

Breaking:

According to the folks at Yakface, the 6" Jabba with also come with a Salacious Crumb -

and be a San Diego Comic-Con exclusive set. :scream:

There goes getting it easily and for a good price.

15. AstroSmurf

Dammit! That completely SUCKS. I guess one of us needs to do the obligatory Vader No and get it over with.

16. cooleddie74

Here he is packaged. Or at least in the approximation of his final packaging.

[​IMG]

That's a lot of empty space in that box. I hope they're planning on packaging Salacious Crumb up in that bare corner so the box doesn't look so much like expensive air with a Jabba the Hutt figure tossed in as an extra.

17. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing (hoping) that it will be like the SDCC Boba Fett with Carbonite Han. Jabba would still be available at retail, it would just be the version with Crumb that would be the exclusive.

18. cooleddie74

Somebody just told me that this might be the case, that Jabba himself will be available at mass retail for $39.99 in the fall, but only the SDCC version will have his throne/dais as well as Salacious Crumb. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it sounds like something they'd do.

19. Admiral_Young

So far Jabba and Helmetless Vader (I've called him two different things now lol) are must buys for me. They both look absolutely incredible.

20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is the black figure on the left?