Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

A couple of questions still hang out there:

1.) Who provided the prosecution with the knowledge that O'Brien and Hughes overheard potentially incriminating comments from Bates? Thomas would be a likely candidate, but he seemed too wrapped up with trying to get promoted to valet.

2.) Is Cora in any way aware of Lord Grantham's dalliance with Jane? Even if that little sidebar was left unaddressed, I wouldn't mind. It all seemed rather forced and unnecessary.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw where some of Downton was going last night, and it was probably the best episode since the first season finale.

I thought it was pretty obvious there was something up with Nigel Havers and the maid long before Anna finally noticed.

I was thrilled when someone finally decked Sir Richard, though I agree with Slate that he wasn't an awful character until this episode where he finally became a comical, mustache-twirling villain.

My heart broke once more for the loveless Edith.

Even though I've really wanted to see Matthew and Mary together, I also kinda wanted to see her go to New York in search of her "cowboy" to shake up the stuffy Brits.

And I was crushed when Bates was convicted -- though I think there's a lot more going on there than we know. (I wonder if Thomas isn't involved in some way; he could frame Bates to get his position as Lord Grantham's valet and eliminate Anna from the household in a single stroke.)

It's going to be a long couple of months until Downton comes back, that's for sure. :)

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Couple? It's not on till the Autumn as far as I'm aware. Though Julian Fellowes Titanic is in a couple of months though.

4. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i missed some stuff and didn’t keep it:

What exactly was behind the arsenic? Bates bought it when “she” asked? Who was “she”? And people are right--how did the prosecution get this info.

Personally, I think the woman wrote the note and killed herself, figuring this was the only way she had left of ruining Bates’ life.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Deadton Abbey.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Agreed 100%, the questions the prosecution were asking seemed like they had to have some inside knowledge.

Poor Bates, just can't catch a break. The support he had from most of the staff (even O'Brien!) and the Crawleys was great to see though.

Didn't really want this season to end, I highly enjoyed it. I for one am quite happy Matthew and Mary finally decided to get married - I couldnt' stand Carlisle and his nouveau riche attitude. ;)

Thomas' ups and downs were interesting as well, what a douchebag though for kidnapping Isis. I can't believe it ended up working in his favor, and to boot he's a war coward! Guy always winds up on his feet, you have to admit.

The whole World War 1 angle was just epic, very interesting to see it through the eyes of the Abbey.

Maggie Smith was amazing, as always.

Edith is in love as Bates is in life. Poor girl - she did really come out of her shell this season though.

Isobel Crawley was pretty much the only thing that grated on my nerves, which is interesting because I adored her in season 1.

Did I hear correctly that we won't see the 3rd series until next January? Pity. :(

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Isobel somewhat redeemed herself in the Christmas episode by talking some sense into Matthew regarding Mary.

And poor Edith! You have to be pretty lonely (and desperate) when your best prospects are (1) a hideously disfigured amnesiac "cousin" or (2) a much older man with a crippled arm . . . .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. propita

It is interesting how much the "upstairs" has become involved in the lives of the "downstairs."

If Sybil has a boy, he would not be the heir, correct? I'm under the impression that heir must be male directly, with no female in the line of succession. Though I suppose a claim could be made if NO direct male heir can be found.

If Matthew, as heir, could not provide a son, what further relation could there be? He's already a bit far off, isn't he?

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I gotta admit, I never expected to see the Dowager Countess conversing with Daisy . . . .

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Not until 1925, when the Administration of Estates act, which reformed inheritance laws, was passed. At that point, Mary would become the heir (if Robert still lived) and not Matthew. Before 1925, though, they would go back as far as necessary to find a male line heir.

Matthew is, if I'm remembering correctly, Robert's third cousin.

11. propita

Thanks.

God, I love Maggie Smith! She's gonna be in a new film, with Dame Judi Dench and other greats. Set in India. Had Hubby watch the trailer. We'll likely see/buy it, as it doesn't seem like a documentary of social commentary on India. Not interested in that, but I'll watch Maggie Smith in just about anything.

12. Garak

She has these momentary acts of kindness - IIRC she tore one off the pastor who was having reservations about marrying William and Daisy, as William was on his death bed and the pastor feared it was for a widower's pension and not true love (like true love was the reason marriages in the aristocracy happen, lol).

She's a heck of a character I have to say.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matthew is Robert's third cousin, once removed I believe. I loved the Christmas special, and yeah it sucks to be Edith. This is such a wonderfully awesome show...and yah as Bob pointed up above, I believe series three airs sometime in late autumn, in fact Wikipedia (take with a grain of salt) says in September.

14. Garak

Hope you're right, I need my fix! I woke up to the Downton Abbey theme song on my ipod today. It was glorious.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

LOVED the ITV version. It's going to be hard not to get on the internet and resist the temptations of spoilers. Why can't PBS air it sooner? Please!

17. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

18. Garak

Loved that ITV trailer - the reworked Lou Reed song was fantastic, not to mention the footage. So great to see all the characters again, I am very excited.

What are Robert and Mr Carson staring at? That's bugging me. :lol:

19. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I think it's Mary in her wedding dress.

20. Admiral_Young

^ That'd be my guess as well. I'm really excited for this series.