remember MTV?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rÿcher, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

Remember when they played a good mix of styles of videos and had veejays and had MTV News and stuff?

2. Harlander

Harlander Ensign Newbie

Remember when MTV actually played music videos?

3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I've been weirdly nostalgic for music videos lately. I have the Weird Al Yankovich collection coming in the mail, can't wait to get it. :lol:

4. Neeka Keet

Neeka Keet Admiral Admiral

I don't get MTV anymore but I've been told that after a certain age no one does. I actually miss videos, it was great fun to sit for hours and watch 'em.

5. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

There's this site called YouTube. You can look up pretty much an video, past or present, and watch it on demand as many times as you want. Who cares what MTV shows?

6. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

[David Bowie] Americah....DEMAHND youah Emm, Taaay, Veeee [/David Bowie]

Headbangers' Ball was always a favorite.

7. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Canada's MuchMusic is still Much Better in this regard, the only problem is that mainstream music aimed at 12-18 years old SUCKS DONKEY BALLS right now. But it's still full of reality TV shite.

MuchMoreMusic has all the good stuff now.

MTV Canada doesn't show music videos at all, only clips.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

They just canceled Total Request Live last week, too. I'm pretty sure that was the only show left on MTV that actually played videos.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Old people always think that.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

'Tis true.

I've actually been enjoying a fair amount of the music that's come out this year, which is something I haven't been able to say for a while.

11. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't give me that, I'm 32, and I'm not saying today's music is bad. When I was that age they were playing Nirvana and Soundgarden and Run DMC and Public Enemy on MTV. You want to compare that to Fallout Boy and Lil' Fucking WAYNE? I'm not saying it's all bad or that everything back then was better, but come on!

15 years ago, there was only one place for music in the media besides radio, and it was all dumped on MTV (and VH1, Much Music, etc). Remember Headbangers Ball and Rap City and shit like that? The modern music landscape is focused on the single and the disposable bling hero, and that's about it. There are PLENTY of great bands out there, you just aren't going to find them on MTV, you'll go on the internet.

The music industry wonders why people don't buy CDs anymore, and it's because they're not worth it when there is only one or two decent songs on a given albumn because the band SUCKS.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So am I - you are 20 years older than the target market - when you were 12, it was 1988. You are old in terms of listening to pop music added at kids.

13. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Q to tha' Eff to tha' mutha' effin' Tee.

14. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the median age of MTV viewers is 22. So it's not really teens watching anymore. And the 12-year-old "tween" market isn't really watching MTV anymore - those kids are obsessed with "High School Musical" and related content on the Disney Channel.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You sure it's 22?

I mean, I know my experience doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of the world, but I'm 23, and I haven't regularly watched MTV since high school. I also don't think anyone watched it when I was in college.

Also, who cares what the mean age of MTV viewers is? They don't play videos anymore, so the age of their viewers is no indication of the muscial trends of the day. People watch MTV for the reality TV shows these days, which is the main reason I avoid it like the plague.

16. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a lot of good music out this year. You just have to hunt for it nowadays.

Problem is the platforms to showcase new music like MTV, BET, VH1, have been taken over by reality programming. iTunes helps but it's rarer that a single can penetrate all the background noise and get everyone singing. Number 1 songs on the Billboard charts are no longer massive public events. It doesn't help that the radio has gotten worse than ever.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't watched MTV since...forever actually.

Last time i remember watching they were still playing a lot of music videos and had no reality shows or other crap.

18. Thurisaz

Thurisaz Lieutenant Commander

19. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember a few years ago, I think it it was their 25th anniversary or something, they made a statement saying they didnt want to celebrate it with a special, promos or anything b/c they didnt want to remind their target audience how old the channel actually was. :rolleyes:

they are scared to turn into what VH1 used to be in the 90's...the "old people" music video channel.

meanwhile VH1 is nothing like what it used to be either...

20. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I remember when it used to be really good, then it started to become really bad. I think right after Kurt Cobain died.

So, bye bye Miss American Pie. Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. And them good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye singin' "this'll be the day that I die..."

I miss Liquid Television, Headbanger's Ball, actual 24/7 videos without interruption including and especially, "this is Katie from Baltimore and I love Kid Rock because he's cooo cute and such a badass WHOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Did I just contradict myself?