The Official Deleted/Alternate Material Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainBearclaw, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Outstanding!!

Well don't be coy, I'm betting that that card collection has other rare scenes included.

Example: there was a photo of Kirk actually wearing the glasses in his appt and reading the Romulan Ale bottle label. Is that in the set?

2. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

:)

You mean this one? ;)

[​IMG]

As you can see it's from another set.
    The playing cards set doesn't seem to have any other particularly interesting picture. See for yourself.

[​IMG]

Except for the Kirstie Alley publicity shots on Genesis cave which I have only seen in these cards set.

[​IMG]

Maab

3. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, never seen these pictures before. It was a much wider shot, and Kirk and David were looking each other in the eye. There was also a black and white shot, but they were still upright, and Kirk was trying to misdirect his knife.

4. Grant

Wow, Maab, great finds!

Since TWOK doesn't really have too many 'deleted scenes', but a lot of scenes where portions were cut--it is extremely hard to say 'this shot was cut' or 'that shot was cut'---- from a still photo, but the stills you posted are great evidence that they WERE shot for those who haven't seen the workprint.

For the record, neither of the two McCoy/Chekov scene in sickbay were in the workprint--indicating the were very early cuts as they slowed down the pace of the final battle.

The part where Kirk tries on the glasses WAS in the workprint, along with the first two scenes of the child, but NOT the one where he is next to the Genesis device.

Since I grow more pesimistic every year, about paramount releasing any deleted scenes from these movies--it is great to see these brief clips and the various stills from the original movies.

My most desired scene from TSFS was a fairly long (Page and a half) scene between McCoy and Kirk in the turbo-lift with McCoy wearing his white med smock for the only time in that movie. A still of the scene was posted in the 'theater program' they sold in the theater opening night.

After having seen the workprint for TWOK my obsession now is a little more pointed at TSFS and TUC missing scenes.

Still hoping we'll get lucky for the next releases....

5. CaptainBearclaw

God I wish the TWOK workprint would just leak!! My thirst is growing!

Two-Bit likes this.
  6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is been my favorite thread since joining the board! Awesome stuff!

7. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

OK, you won me with this one. I've never seen a picture of TSFS with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

Are you sure it isn't this one?

[​IMG]

There is one TSFS theater program for sale on Ebay, and most of the pages are shown, but no sign of this picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exc-Officia...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4175fa02ce

This is the comic adaptation of the deleted scene (with McCoy wearing the white med smock.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I don't think they'll ever release any other deleted scene beyond what was already released. The movies were released in DVD, DVD special editions and Blu-ray. I'm afraid that's all.

Maab

8. CaptainBearclaw

Yeah, the comic wasn't always reliable in terms of uniforms anyway (the crew changes into their uniforms spontaneously between panels!) but the scene seems to have been shot with McCoy in his duty uniform. It does make more sense. If he's insane at this point, why change into different clothes when he's in the cabin?

I do want to see this scene, though. I have no doubt it was in the original preview. Along with the restructuring.

9. Grant

Yep, that scene from the comic is the scene in question and i remember the photo for sure because at one point i owned both the comic and the movie program and for sure it was McCoy wearing the white smock while standing in the turbo-lift---which he never wore in the turbo-lift in any other movie.

It seemed very clear it was from that scene because it sure was funny and memorable to see him with a 48 hour growth of beard in a full page photo in a movie program--as he still wore in the "Spock's quarters scene later in the movie, although back in his familiar red uniform.

And sadly, i agree Paramount is probably way too lazy and cynical to ever dig in their vaults for the deleted stuff as an extra.

Most folks will have to settle for stills, short clips, script excerps, and even pictures of comic adaptations!

But seeing the workprint of TWOK only has heightened my desire to see the other cut scenes from the other 2 movies with a larger portion of cut stuff.

From meticulous counting of lines from the scripts and comparing it to the DVDs I concluded that TWOK, TSFS and TUC all had about 300-320 cut lines of dialogue. Each line of dialogue averages about 3 seconds of screen time.

Therefore I calculated the those 3 movies had 900 seconds (15 Minutes) of cut dialogue sequences.
    My formula panned out when i saw the workprint for TWOK.

So if every filmed but cut line was back in--those 3 movies would each be about 15 minutes longer than their current longest cut.

Deleted scenes sections for those movies would obviously NOT contain every single cut line--only the sections that would be feasible/interesting to show--I think about 8-10 minutes.

TVH and TFF each had about 110 lines of dialogue cut. meaning only about 5-6 minutes longer.

Of course dialogue cut totals don't include scenes of action such as all the cut 'battle/action' scenes cut from TFF. But i am way more interested in seeing the character interaction stuff than Sybok's troops overwhelm Paradise city.

Seeing the original cast acting in those familar parts one last time was, for me, a very exciting experience regardless if the scenes were better left out or not.

I will hold out hope till the bitter end for seeing these scenes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  10. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am really enjoying this thread too but sometimes it makes me sad at scenes they cut. :lol:

11. Grant

That scene shown in comic form would have been great to see in the movie. Nimoy said it was cut because "it gave too much away too early."---that McCoy was posessed.

Sorry Mr Nimoy, after watching TWOK many times between 1982 and 1984---almost everyone had concluded that meld with McCoy at the end of TWOK was the way that Spock would come back.

So to cut a great Kirk/McCoy scene like that out and then, what?, six screen minutes later have McCoy clearly posessed was a bad idea I think.

Especially since TSFS was so short--105 minutes, BUT with about 5 minutes of reprised scenes/dialogue and a good 10 minutes of credits---the 'new' story portion of TSFS is under 90 minutes.

P.S. to Maab---

after looking at that photo of Nimoy, Kirk and McCoy you posted, I am willing to think IT IS possible McCoy WAS wearing his red uniform in the movie program photo.
    Clearly he is directing them in a scene in the turbo-lift from TSFS and McCoy is wearing the beard stubble.
    The comic adaptation you excerpted was probably mingling in my mind with the photo from the movie program AND it is very likely the comic was drawn BEFORE the artist had seen all the footage and used McCoy in his white smock which he wore quite a bit in TWOK.

So yeah, i think your are batting 100% on finding photos of cut scenes i mentioned!!

But since you have painted your self into a corner by being so resourceful LOL---can you find/do you have---Sarek and Chapel in the ante-room/turbo-lift from the cut scene in TVH?

It's your own fault by making me expect you have all that stuff!

I wonder if this thread could be branched/split into a section that only has photos/stills and links to video clips--without out all our dialogue and conversation?

You know, one of the best things about this thread is I finally don't have to hear form uniformed no-nothings who used to say about every cut scene---
    "That scene/scenes was never shot---that's why we never saw it!"

There was a whole lot of that BS floating around about 5-6 years ago.

The alternate Kirk/David fight 'was never shot'
    The baby scene 'was never shot'
    McCoy knowing Terrell 'was never shot'
    David/Saavik flirting in the eden cave 'was never shot'
    Khan mentioning Marla by name 'was never shot'

Sometimes when I really cant believe i finally saw them i just play all my 'TWOK deleted scenes' ringtones.

Very nerdy, I admit.
    Oh geez, is that the NSA I hear knocking on my door? "Where did you get those audio clips, sir?"

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  12. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

"Never give up never surrender" :)

Here it is.

[​IMG]

Since you mentioned it... about your ringtones... If we have to go by the book and minutes would seem like seconds... how many seconds of TWOK workprint audio do you have? ;)

Maab

13. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Oh God! Just when I tought there was nothing more, look what I found on the web! Another Khan's baby picture! (very small unfortunately)

[​IMG]

Maab

14. Grant

Wow, I wish I could think of more stills from clearly deleted scenes because you probably would have them!

I have about 17 to 20 ringtones ranging from about a minute to as short as 15 seconds long. I guess a total of about 8 minutes.

The workprint contained virtually everything in the script with the exception of the two McCoy/Chekov sickbay scenes mentioned before and a short scene where Khan interogates Chekov aboard reliant about Genesis.

So except for a few missing lines scattered here and there--everything you would read in the script was in the workprint---keping in mind the workprint I saw ends as Spock leaves the bridge to save the ship.

Lots of single non-descript lines here and there are in the workprint, but what i ended up putting on my phone are just the longer/ more interesting bits.

15. CaptainBearclaw

Grant, that's horrible about those dismissions you mentioned. Just awful! And BTW, when I get the chance, I will be starting an in-depth site which will try to include all this info, and any more we stumble across. I'm gonna call it trekrarities, and it won't be limited to just cut scenes, or even just the movie. It will be a concentrated reference site that will eliminate the need to scour for original trek information.

At least, that's what I hope.

16. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

From the same cards set (which at this point I must absolutely own).

David and Saavik flirting in the Genesis cave.

[​IMG]

The already shown picture of Chekov wanting to leave the sickbay.

[​IMG]

And... what's this? "Regula crewmember with phaser"
    Were does this come from?

[​IMG]

The full card set is here: http://www.wixiban.com/trading-cards/mov-monty.htm

P.S. for Grant. I've sent you a private message.

Maab

17. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the script during the original David/Kirk confrontation on Genesis:

18. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Wow, thanks! I had never seen this picture before.

Maab

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Jedda's the guy who shouts "phasers down!" and then gets zapped by Terrell.

20. Grant

In the original version of the Kirk/David fight, when Carol shocks everyone be revealing that Kirk and David are father and son--Terrell snatches the Phaser from 'Jedda' while his is distracted.

It's not explained in the final cut where Terrell gets that phaser. Presumably Chekov picks up the phaser that David knocked from Kirk's hand at the beginning of the scuffle.