3D Software?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by JoshC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. joe40001

joe40001 Commodore Commodore

So, you're the blender guy?

If so, can you tell me how to cast shadows with something other than spotlights?

Thanks for your help. :)

2. Four Mad Men

Four Mad Men Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, [BS-Ozzy] I Am Blender Man! [/BS-Ozzy]. In blender the only lamp type that will cast a shadow is the spotlight.

And for you or anyone else interested in a short talk about spotlights...

• In order for a material to cast a shadow it's "Shadow" button must be set on (default)
    • Inorder for a material to recieve shadows it's "Shadeless" button must be off (default)
    • Spotlights cast light and shadow by default but can be set to cast only shadow by setting the "Only Shadow" button to on. That way you can have another lamp type provide the lighting but the spotlight provide the shadows.

3. joe40001

joe40001 Commodore Commodore

Thanks, this program is growing on me fast. I might even make a C++ program utilizing it, but I think I'm getting ahead of myself. In any case, I'm going to start working on my concept trek ship now.

Can I see some of things you created? If the mods think it's too off topic to have you post a couple non-trek images, I understand. Mods, feel free to say "no", but otherwise I'd be really curious to see what kind of stuff you've produced.

4. Four Mad Men

Non-Trek stuff? Is there such a thing? But seriously, apart from some tutorials I don't think I've done anything non-Trek (even my Cruiseliner is civilian-Trek). I've also never really finished a project but my Phaser and Shuttle are darn close. I probably shouldn't just post links to my threads here so I'll just list a few thread titles: "Starfleet Shuttlecraft", "Federation Cruisliner", "NCC-1701 in a Blender" and "The Phasers of Star Fleet". There are others I'm sure but those are the main ones.

5. Four Mad Men

Formerlly only available in PRMan: Depth Map Based Ambient Occlusion Lighting

Now available in Blender (for the next release anyway, the following were made with pre-release code).

Faked GI (ala Vektor's tutorial)

Ambient Occlusion

The A.O. is definately darker but contains some additional detail. While I'm sure I could tweak the lighting rig I'm using for the F.G.I. to achieve similar results, now I don't have to.

And finally a (very much in need of tweaking the power and postion) key light added.
    Ambient Occlusion with key

And if your interested in the particulars of the method please read this write-up from Andrew Whitehurst (not related to me, blender, or the blender project)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Blender is great, back when I started out with it I was able to create a fairly realistic model of the Enterprise (refit) after 3 hours. For those of you about to give up: Learn the keyboard shortcuts and modeling will become much easier, but if you want to do anything regarding lighting, radiosity, or armatures I would recomend buying the 2.3 version manual. You could download parts of it at: documentation

This is my first post: be gentle
    version 2.33 is out!

7. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

thanks for the tip tha 2.33 is out... maybe blender won't crash that often now...

8. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok I am going to try and learn blender and Animor8. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to get started. I have never used any programs like this so I am starting from scratch. I am hoping someone can direct me to any tutorials or somewhere where I can get some info on where to begin with the basics.

I got to increase my skills if I want to actually get a vote in the monthly art contest. :lol:

9. Four Mad Men

That's odd, I've had but a single crash of Blender and that's been ages ago. 2.33 is definately the best yet (but I guess that's the point of software updates huh?).

Here are some links that I've been meaning to post for awhile but just never seemed to get around to:

Blender Documentation, this link points to a page with lots of blender documentation links. Including the Official Blender User's Guide. It comes both as HTML and PDF (the PDF weighs in at 32 meg).

And here are some classroom based tutorials that a teacher created for his students. Comes in three parts but the section of "booleans" is definately worth missing (not because of the author but because that's one area Blender falls down in). It's partly made up for in some of the newest editing tools but I'll be glad when the new code goes in.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

well i use maya 5..ayone need help with that.. well is a professional software so its a little tricky at the start but once you get a hang of it.. its possiblities are endless..
    let me show you an image of a modified NX-01 that i am working on did this in 1/2 an hour..

[​IMG]

11. Xenoclone

Xenoclone Commodore Commodore

^I like it!

I use Lightwave, personally, and used to use trueSpace. The lighting isn't very realistic in tS and it crasehd a lot for me. LW has been nice, but I haven't learned it very well yet.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

you forgot about Softimage Xsi by Avid.
    One of the most powerfull aplications in the animation industri. Damn hard to learn though... i tryed and well it was abit to much for me.

13. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok does anyone here use Blender? I been reading on the manuals and still have no luck with it. Can anyone give me some pointers?

14. Four Mad Men

15. Stephen Cronin

Stephen Cronin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i use lightwave... its very good, thebroken.org has some good anims with it on episode 3

16. Chadduss

Chadduss Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Four Mad Men, do you know of a printable copy of that?

Thanks

17. Four Mad Men

18. grand_nagus_biglobes

grand_nagus_biglobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I use lightwave- after getting used to the shortcuts, it's very quick and easy to use, I find.

19. Chadduss

Chadduss Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks!

20. zoom

zoom Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re:

Well i must say this is the most useful thread i have seen. Actually encouraged me to start learning something.

I have been tinkering with Maya 6 for the past few days and i find its user interface very simple at least from a beginners point of view.

This is my first model :)

http://ftgl.net/aayush/Daedalus%201.jpg

Please pass your comments on the same .

Also, i need some help - VERY newbie level - such as how to place the ship registry number and name on the hull in maya. Would be glad if anyone would help me out.
    If so, please contact me by email at aayush.iyer@ftgl.net

Thanks