Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I always (wrongly) imagine fans thus:

TOS - comic book guys and dads
    TNG - earnest book types
    DS9 - hipsters
    VOY - fangirls

Not quite sure about ENT yet :)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awww.. this is adorable. And so much more complimentary than my own imaginings!

TOS - anal luddites
    TNG - anal pompous luddites
    DS9 - snobs
    VOY - fangirls fuck yeah!
    ENT - enlightened folk

btw I know genuine 100% hipsters who have vintage TOS lunch boxes on display in their houses. They haven't watched Star Trek in years if ever and they do not deserve these lunch boxes. It's disgusting.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it's your duty as a dedicated fangirl to liberate those lunch-boxes Entrapment-Style.

Remember, it comes down to you or being pinched by the 5-0, destroy the evidence rather than let it fall back into ungrateful hipster hands.

4. teacake

Oh I've fantasized about this. I'm thinking I could replace the lunchboxes with modern day Doctor Who ones and they wouldn't even notice.

I've tried gushing over the lunchboxes but to no avail. Now if someone gushes over something I have I just give it to them, but it seems this is not the hipster way. So, theft.

5. Guy Gardener

Exhaust all channels of diplomacy first.

You need to high ball them, so that they think that when you only ask for their lunch boxes, it seems reasonable.

"How much for the little girl? How much for the women? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children! "

6. teacake

:lol:

Okay I will try and extort their vinyl collections off them first. Then, after they've recovered from the shock, I'll casually bring up the lunch boxes.

It's not like I need to keep these friendships. The music is terrible.

7. Guy Gardener

These days they use cellphones in a bowl for key-parties.

8. teacake

So if you want to avoid sleeping with a hipster you make sure you pick up the glammest cell phone out of the bowl, the one that looks the least like a Mac byproduct.

9. Guy Gardener

Phill Hartman Joke from News radio.

"In the 70s we would have these things called Key parties. We'd all put our keys into a big bowl and then shuffle them up and then we'd all take turns picking out someone elses keys from the bowl and then drive their car home for the night."

Australian hipsters?

I saw Slide (awful, awful children, they made the Skins kids like a church youth group.) last year but it just doesn't seem like Australians could be so inactivated to allow themselves to fall so fallow of such a gross emotional caricature lusting after irony above all else...

"Regular people wear beanies because of the cold, hipsters wear beanies because of Coldplay."

10. teacake

Well.. this is Melbourne. Wannabe Europe.

Out in Waggadoonagallaratta you'd have better luck being irony free.

11. Guy Gardener

Isn't that were they filmed "The Castle"?

"Can you imagine it!? Kick boxing 24 hours a day?"

12. teacake

Over 15 years ago. Pre-hipsters.

Starring NERO, ROMULAN BAD BOY.

13. Guy Gardener

I have never understood how that man became super famous.

14. teacake

He was so so so so terrible in the Melbourne comedy show he got his start in. Or perhaps it was the show that was so terrible.

It's Bana, with a silent "l".

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Success! Glad I never got on that iPhone bandwagon. I had an Android before it was cool ;)

16. Guy Gardener

You can sleep with people without talking to them.

I do imagine hipsters to be selfish lovers, but they look good while doing it.

17. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Ashes to Ashes: Why haven't we seen Ballard before? I sure don't remember her. This episode would have been far more meaningful if she had appeared earlier in the show and a relationship had been established between her and Harry. This episode doesn't have two feet to stand on.
    4/10

Child's Play: 7 is becoming more human all the time. It's fascinating to watch, and I thought she was the real star of this episode. With that said, these Borg children have started to grow on me, so this episode carried much more emotional weight for me than the previous one. The twist at the end with Icheb and the pathogen, and his parents using him as bait for the Borg was unexpected. Solid offering all around.
    7/10

Good Shepherd: Janeway gathers together the misfits of Voyager for an away mission! A lot of really great character moments in this one. Harren's scenes were especially great, in particular his scene with Tom in the lounge area. Each of the misfits had a nice character arc. Very satisfying episode.
    7/10

@tighr: Your favorite episode is next!

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I really liked the Borg kids. Especially Icheb. It's a pity they got so few episodes (same with Naomi), but their characters ended up being more fleshed out than many of the other supporting characters on the show (like Joe Carey, who I'm not sure if Screed has noticed or not, but Carey hasn't been around in a while ;) )

19. teacake

I thought the Borg children were great! Icheb is an excellent character.

Ashes to Ashes is a good sci fi episode. Yes it might have been more interesting if we'd seen Ballard before but it still works for me.

20. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Oh yes, I remember him....he and Belanna didn't always get along, right? He must have been hiding away in his room for the past few years, if he didn't die....